Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
radiation detector
3 November 2012, 15:01,
RE: radiation detector
I've just ordered at nice little unit off eBay. Covers Alpha, Beta and Gamma. My issue is checking it works. Trying to find out how they calibrate these things. It plugs in and monitors things and lets you see the current levels which is what you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Alpha-Beta...2577477243
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 November 2012, 19:56,
mine arrived today
3 November 2012, 20:06,
When I get round to it I'm hoping to get some of those raiation detector badges that change colour if exposed to radiation, I think they work like photographic paper, Cant afford dosimeters or proper detectors.

3 November 2012, 20:18,
NR,

They are useless for what we want. They are designed for use in places where you don't regularly go and you can wear a new one every visit. If you are serious about radiation monitoring you need a counter. There is no real alternative. However, some of the older types are not as expensive as you think. Much less than some of the preps you have already.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 November 2012, 21:46,
I can't at the moment justify the cost after losing 3/4 of my preps but I will get one when I can afford it
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.