Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Basha Help Please
15 April 2012, 16:21,
RE: Basha Help Please
Had some experience with bashas as a cadet but to be honest we where always taken to an area that lent itself to putting one up quickly and easily (medium density woodland) and there was always a member of the DS checking the temperature through the night so we didn't catch a chill so I knew how to put one up, early on you where only ever given paracord and some pegs and left to frustrate yourself with it whilst everyone else whipped out a few bungee cords and had it done in seconds.

More recently though me and a friend did a few days backpacking around the mid Wales coast. With no real idea where we would be stopping for the night meant he had invested in a few basha poles that would give you a space of around 18 inches and peg the other end down this is at its best in a field or somewhere with few options for anchorage points. As there was 2 of us meant you used your bergens on either side to block out the wind... Sort of. We just used roll matts bungeed to the side of our bergens then a sleeping bag inside a bivvi bag and we weres plenty warm enough.

In my opinion for 2 its a great option and if you have a 4 season + sleeping bag you would proably be ok on your own don't think it is really a year round solution but then I know if you where in the army you may have to do it in the dead of winter.

On a final point the issue ponchos make a great basha (that's what we used back packing and as cadets) and obviously comes with the advantage of also being a poncho. Just remember to tighten the cords as much as possible in case it rains... I learnt that the hard way as a cadet... not an experience to repeat
16 April 2012, 00:53,
(15 April 2012, 08:42)Scythe13 Wrote: That looks really good, but for £40, I do question it for winter sleeping. Having said that, could just layer up.

I'll check out more reviews of them.

Yes you would be wise to layer up in it - something I never done as a soldier , remove anything before hitting the old 'gonk' bag.
If my combats were wet - quickest way to dry them was to sleep in them , likewise trousers - boots stayed on no matter what.
Waterproof wise it was as good as or better than the 58 pattern bag , thermal properties aren't great , its a parka first - sleeping bag second - but as I've said - as a temporary sleep system only used while you're on the move - then its very versatile indeed.

Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
16 April 2012, 13:31,

German Parka

I got one of these. Not tested it out yet, be getting its first outing this weekend in the bushes Wink

I'll keep my clothes on though I think. Doesn't look that warm.
16 April 2012, 13:57,
(16 April 2012, 13:31)00111001 Wrote: German Parka

I got one of these. Not tested it out yet, be getting its first outing this weekend in the bushes Wink

I'll keep my clothes on though I think. Doesn't look that warm.

I have one of these bought a few years back and before that I had one for a good 15 years.

I use mine for my truck emergency kit and sometimes wear it indoors without the outer shell to help fight colds, I sometimes take it out woods during summer time but would not recommend as even in summer it gets cold in mornings, and this bag is just not up for it, unless you’re in a tent and well geared up, i.e. truck camping.

But they are fun to wear and look quite good on and I really like mine.
16 April 2012, 23:31,
I agree with both opinions given above...this particular bit of kit has a sole purpose really ( for me it did anyway ) , and was exceptional.

On exercise - you aren't meant to be cosy and snug as they are carried out under combat conditions , as a bugout bag for a few nights out in the field before you reach your final position they are worth it , trust me.

Do not expect to be toasty in these , they are designed as a rapid way of getting the head down and being combat capable quickly...I've fell asleep in puddles before , and slid down the hills ( carried by rainfall ) near the faslane peace camp in a 58 patt bag, as I was approaching hypothermia.

Choose your bag wisely , and for the purpose you need it for.

If you may be mobile/overland for a short time, then there is no point in getting a fancy 4 season mountain climbers bag...it probably wont survive being dragged across the various obstacles that an escape or evasion situation will call for.
German parka is ideal for this , as long as you are wearing the correct layered clothes while in it.

On the other hand - if you dont intend to be mobile / will be at your final position quickly with no hoofing it overland / overnight , then the german parka isn't what you need.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.