Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
radio relay
15 March 2012, 01:39,
radio relay
been pondering on this for a while after when shtfand before this happens could it be possible to set up a radio relay through out the country or at least to the members who have met and know each other , at least people in the worst hit areas could let the rest of us know incase we are planning to bug out to that area, i have noticed the posts on here about a cheap ? radio i know we need licence at the moment but after shtf whos going to check ??

just a thought

b/d
15 March 2012, 08:30,
RE: radio relay
That's a really good idea.

Closest I've got to this was thinking of getting a small CB radio, like the American truckers all have. The CB's they use are 12v. That's solar voltage as well! Can anyone see what I'm thinking? Haha.

Problem is, I don't know the foggiest on how to use radio equipment!!! So setting up a relay is well out of my skill set. Could probably work it all out, but don't have the money right now for that.

Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 March 2012, 12:36,
What about the possibillity of using pylons that carry electricity as an aeriel post shtf?
Yes they carry current now but after they stop producing power post shtf youd have a country wide aeriel maybe, I'm not sure of the technicalities of this but it sounds plausibe.
Or what about transmitting via the earth itself? the earth itself is used to "eath" out electricals right now but can you tramsmit a signal somehow via "earth" instead?
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
15 March 2012, 12:57,
(15 March 2012, 12:36)mikebratcher69 Wrote: What about the possibillity of using pylons that carry electricity as an aeriel post shtf?
Yes they carry current now but after they stop producing power post shtf youd have a country wide aeriel maybe, I'm not sure of the technicalities of this but it sounds plausibe.
Or what about transmitting via the earth itself? the earth itself is used to "eath" out electricals right now but can you tramsmit a signal somehow via "earth" instead?

I think that would take a LOAD of power to do either of those things mate.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 March 2012, 13:50,
Guys,

Lightspeed has already come up with some suggestions on this. We are looking at doing some tests and I've bought a transciever just for the task. Why don't you join in?

This is the bit of kit. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baofeng-UV-3R-...4cfc5150bf

Lightspeed has some set up information and we can try them out as and when people come online
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
15 March 2012, 15:51, (This post was last modified: 15 March 2012, 15:53 by Lightspeed.)
Hi BD

I've been pondering this as well. Some Radio Hams in UK have set up an organization called RAYNET for disaster / emergency communications. I guess that they already have some contingency in place.

As a disparate group of preppers the challenge is considerable. Realistically if we want our own country wide infrastructure, we'd need to be using NVIS techniques as discussed in the article I posted on the main site, and even then radio relay would have to be used.

As it happens, a small group of us are about to start an initiative to create local radio networks for prepper communities (actually we'll start activities this coming weekend using completely legal PMR446 equipment). If this is succesful then just 50 main NVIS stations could relay country-wide. The word could is important here, as there would be huge OPSEC risks for the NVIS stations.

You are right about legal issues surrounding the use of radio transmitters post-event. Who's going to check?

The radio that SD mentions is a very versatile little beast. It can be programmed so as to be completely innocent if challenged by today's authorities, but simply reconfigured in the field to permit transmission on a wide range of ueseful frequencies. A new Verion it, the UV-3R mk iii, has jest started shipping. If you are considering getting one, probably best to go for a Mk ii at this time, until any bugs and weaknesses in the Mkiii are ironed out.
Excellent thinking Mike,

Through-the-earth transmission is indeed possible.

It does require special equipment though, and is completely outside of my experience. but possible it is.

Lightspeed
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

15 March 2012, 17:55,
The Mk 2 is the one I bought and the one I provided the link for.

I've put Lightspeeds post up on the testing for tonight.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
15 March 2012, 18:28,
I shall buy one if I can get the cash together....I look forard to =hearing your dulcid tones on the airwaves SD....
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."