Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fire Starter Trick/Knack
15 March 2012, 11:19,
Fire Starter Trick/Knack
Hi Everyone

I've had a parcel of survival equipment arrive and tried loads of stuff out. One thing was some Fire Starters.

I tried out loads of random things on the fire starters to see what would spark.

Coins didn't work. Shotgun shell base didn't work. The inside of a tin didn't work. The outside of a pair of nail clippers didn't work.

The part where you put your nails in the nail clippers worked a treat!!!

Using the curved part, where you put your nail to cut it, actually caused a huge spark to jump onto the desk and burn for a second.

On TV the survival guys all seem to need the spark to catch in the right place. Using the new 'Scythe13-Style' the spark comes clean off the rod and sits in place for a good few seconds.

I'd love for a couple of people to try it out and see how it goes. It's pretty cool really.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 March 2012, 14:05,
RE: Fire Starter Trick/Knack

Oh don't talk to me about beeping firestarters!! If you'd care to climb over my fence, there are at least 5 residing in the undergrowth after being launched in frustration.

Now a Fresnel lens... Oh yeah!

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
15 March 2012, 14:31,
cotton wool and vaseline takes tiny spark and burns for 5 mins
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
15 March 2012, 15:24,
that's a neat trick, thanks
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
15 March 2012, 15:40,
(15 March 2012, 14:31)Barneyboy Wrote: cotton wool and vaseline takes tiny spark and burns for 5 mins

I've not actually tried that yet.

Try the nail clipper technique to shoot sparks onto the cotton wool.
15 March 2012, 22:17,
i use back edge of my knife always got one with me

b/d
15 March 2012, 23:33,
I store the lint from my dryer, lights easy and holds a flame well, I'll have to try the nail clippers on it coz got them in BOB as well, mind you I'd be hard pushed not to start a fire, I've got lint, cotton wool in Vaseline, water proof matches, lighters, was it you NR that suggested storing the cotton wool in old Kodak film cases? tiny but holds loads.
29 April 2012, 18:11,
I've just bought this little firestarter kit from amazon and it looks pretty decent. The best thing is it comes in a tin that you can use for a mini survival pocket kit (like the reviewer says).

Ross
29 April 2012, 18:14,
(29 April 2012, 18:11)Roscoe Wrote: I've just bought this little firestarter kit from amazon and it looks pretty decent. The best thing is it comes in a tin that you can use for a mini survival pocket kit (like the reviewer says).

Ross

That's pretty cool.

How big's the tin?

WnC was talking about a survival tin challenge, which sounded great fun. So if it's a good sized tin, I'll look into one of those. Write up about how the lighter was as well.

Have you used one before?

Personally I've always been a matches and lighter kind of guy, but the cottonwool and lipbalk or vaseline thing is really cool and very easy to do!
29 April 2012, 18:23,
Personally I love the firesteel method, if you get good at using one then it is a lot more efficient than matches or lighters (roughly 3000 strikes for firesteel versus single use matches and limited fuel for lighters), vaseline and cotton wool is brilliant but I have some of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coghlans-Tinder/...890&sr=8-9

Burn for 5 minutes and take up even less space than cotton wool!

I think the tin is the same size of a tobacco tin (2oz) so you could cram lots in there. I'll tell you what I think about it when I get hold of it. (also ordered a zippo with flints fuel and wicks)