Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fire Starter Trick/Knack
29 April 2012, 18:23, (This post was last modified: 30 April 2012, 02:43 by Nemesis.)
RE: Fire Starter Trick/Knack
I make my own balls, I use wax cotton and birch bark, and they burn around 20 mins.

I have a pic on video I will try grab it and post.
[Image: diUfqrDN8iWHNzGAAbbJqHh24.jpg]

Uploaded a vid:

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
30 April 2012, 05:07,
I keep a handful of Mc.Donalds plastic straws cut into 2 inch lengths.
Lightly vaseline smeared cotton wool balls poked into each straw.
(Caution, not too much vaseline.)
Sealed at both ends by dipping the straw end into melted wax.

To use, poke a stick through the straw and outpops a DRY cotton wool ball.
Shred (more like fluff out) and it takes a spark well and burns for about a minute.

For more heat, I keep a handful of inner tube strips, 3-4 inches long, 1/4 inch wide.
Get the cotton wool going and add a couple of these. Stinks like hell but burns hot.

30 April 2012, 09:17,
i was told "Duraglit" works a treat-dont know if you can still get it?? anybody who wears glasses will know the old schoolboy trick.....but you need a sunny day for it!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 April 2012, 10:01,
(30 April 2012, 05:07)Paul Wrote: I keep a handful of Mc.Donalds plastic straws cut into 2 inch lengths.
Lightly vaseline smeared cotton wool balls poked into each straw.
(Caution, not too much vaseline.)
Sealed at both ends by dipping the straw end into melted wax.

To use, poke a stick through the straw and outpops a DRY cotton wool ball.
Shred (more like fluff out) and it takes a spark well and burns for about a minute.

For more heat, I keep a handful of inner tube strips, 3-4 inches long, 1/4 inch wide.
Get the cotton wool going and add a couple of these. Stinks like hell but burns hot.

Yes ranger bands are good, I managed to get hold of a few lorry inner tubes, set for life I guess.

What I like about the wax balls is they are clean and a saving over other bought block type fuels, and burn time.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
30 April 2012, 14:43,
i'm told pine cones are good for starting fires too!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 April 2012, 20:26,
(30 April 2012, 14:43)bigpaul Wrote: i'm told pine cones are good for starting fires too!

I use pine cones. Not as tinder as they do not catch as easily in my experience, but applied soon after the tinder takes. They then burn well and turn quickly into cherry red hot coals that concentrate the heat to their immediate surroundings, so are good for rapidly & reliably spreading the fire coal ember effect to the larger timbers. This would be useful in damp conditions as long as you have not allowed the cones to draw in humidity beforehand.
1 May 2012, 08:38,
i believe they are great for getting an AGA going again!