Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hello from Yorkshirelass
15 March 2012, 20:51,
RE: Hello from Yorkshirelass
hello and welcome from norfolkSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
15 March 2012, 23:59,
Ay Up Lass, Ows, thi fettlin? Av ye got saddlebags fer yon oss? I liken t' notion onnit. Tis fair clever tis, aye... Seriously, welcome from another tyke :-)
16 March 2012, 08:15, (This post was last modified: 16 March 2012, 08:21 by Yorkshirelass.)
(15 March 2012, 18:50)NorthernRaider Wrote: Can anyone else work out the system YL is using on her various kits, I cant work out whats EDC, Whats Personal, Whats Jacket is jacket part of EDC, Whats handbag is that EDC or GHB, What is personal is the stuff on her key ring EDC, Jacket, Bag or sommat else. I'm sure theres a practical system in place but i cant work it out, Can others help me make sense of her system?

Hi again, thanks for the feedback. I work from home 80% of the time so all the items are in reach most of the time except when I go out on site in the car (often anywhere in the country, even london yipes!!) when I will have the jacket (outdoor green type multiple pockets) , handbag and keyring as EDC and the BOB will be left at home. The latter all packs in a 10 litre rucksack which I am about to upgrade to 15 litres to take the tarp and some rope/bungees. I agree it is heavy but in an emergency I could easily carry it 5 miles or so. There are plently of old barns in remote places round here although most are accessible by 4 wheel drive. The firelighting is duplicated delibrately as if one fails I have a backup and it is bloody cold where I live even in summer. If I took the wind up radio out I would have more room/less weight. Thinking of adding an ultralight sleeping bag. Forgot to mention I already have a sleeping mat.

All my kit is dark muted colours not necessarily camo as I am not into orange bivy bags and whistles etc. To my mind, concealment/avoidance of other people would be a priority if TSHTF

(15 March 2012, 15:34)bigpaul Wrote: hello yorkshirelass from deepest Devon. dont get too hung up about hordes streaming out from the towns( i note you say towns not cities, what numbers of population are we talking about?) i reckon most townies will stay away from the countryside especially if they wouldnt go there under normal circumstances, most townies will head out to join other relatives in other towns. the fact that you are down a long farm track will work in your favour and put most off the idea.

Hi there the town is about 60,000 population a couple of miles away but my house is accessed off a minor road which would not be used as a mass exit route in the event of an emergency. My other concern is that my two neighbours have done no prepping whatsoever and it would be difficult to say no when they come knocking on my door with whining children having run out of food. Not sure how I would deal with the latter. Maybe give them a couple of tins?

16 March 2012, 09:35,
(15 March 2012, 23:59)Timelord Wrote: Ay Up Lass, Ows, thi fettlin? Av ye got saddlebags fer yon oss? I liken t' notion onnit. Tis fair clever tis, aye... Seriously, welcome from another tyke :-)

She is prolly from Harrowgate, Ripon or Pately where they think they are posh Smile

16 March 2012, 10:20,
(15 March 2012, 20:09)Prep Girl Wrote:
(15 March 2012, 19:24)bigpaul Wrote:
(15 March 2012, 18:38)Prep Girl Wrote: Hello and welcome from another lone female, sadly I'm not in such a good location as you are, if I were I would be applying for a shotgun licence,but it would draw to much attention to me, someone applying for a shotgun on my estate? my house would be the first the police or army would come knocking shtf, if you can afford it do it! us Women will have to be on the ball and ahead of the game, it's all about a good hiding place not at home, some where close enough that you can get to in a hurry but far enough away from the house so you can see what's going on without being seen and weapons to defend yourself.
As for ( who ever said don't recall) people not heading out to the country side looking for food I don't agree, it's in the local papers and msm almost every week, cows being slaughtered, skinned and boned out where there stand in the fields, pigs even swans being killed for food, allotments are being raided, if I was hungry the first thing I'd think of was all them farmers in the country side growing crops and keeping animals, plus anyone with half a brain would want to get as far away from the cities as they could.
Also a good use for bungees, is if you can secure fixtures? to attach the bungee to behind your front/back door, when kicked in it gives added protection, only a minute or to before they realise why the door won't go down but a minute or two could safe your life.
I guess that would be me PG(about people not heading out into the country)Big Grin i think the places where you mentioned animals being killed, are probably near a big city that has a large immigrant population probably east european. most British(white) people dont have anything to do with the countryside-after all they might get their shoes dirty! and anyway most Brits under 40 dont know where their food comes from anyway(Duh! the supermarket?) and is far to concerned about their foreign holiday to ever go near a farm. in a major event most city people are going to sit still and wail! and wait for the govt to come and save them(that what its there for-right?)Big Grin

I'm afraid it's the immigrant population I'm more worried about, some of these people are no better then Animals, they think nothing of raping young girls maiming their Children so they get more money out begging, driving round schools last year trying to pull kids in to vans, we all know where them kids were heading, the list is endless! fooking Animals! god help any one that crosses their path shtf, raped, beaten then eaten! they will sooner or later need to go food hunting further afield, and some of them are gona have big Guns and military training! no morals, no ethics, I need to move house lol, but no matter where you live I think it will only be a matter of time before some one comes calling.
that all depends where someone lives, in your area i would agree with you but in my area we are a long way from a city, in my case 30 and 40 miles(Devon only has 2 cities) and we've got Dartmoor in between them and us, i've got 5 or 6 BOL sussed(all unoccupied) so if it comes to it we can be out of here and go somewhere even more remote.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 March 2012, 10:30,
(16 March 2012, 09:35)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(15 March 2012, 23:59)Timelord Wrote: Ay Up Lass, Ows, thi fettlin? Av ye got saddlebags fer yon oss? I liken t' notion onnit. Tis fair clever tis, aye... Seriously, welcome from another tyke :-)

She is prolly from Harrowgate, Ripon or Pately where they think they are posh Smile

Just cos I live in't country dont make me posh!

16 March 2012, 10:34,
Do you drink Yorkshire tea, and read the Yorkshire post with a Yorkshire terrier whilst eating a Yorkshire pudding tee heeeBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinTongueTongueTongue
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
16 March 2012, 11:01,
(16 March 2012, 10:30)Yorkshirelass Wrote:

Ive tried to attach a photo showing the pony saddlebags I have in mind

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

16 March 2012, 12:06,
(16 March 2012, 11:01)Yorkshirelass Wrote:

They must be at least 60 litres each thats excellent, Question will you have to transport fuel for the horseys or do they forage?

16 March 2012, 12:28,
(16 March 2012, 12:06)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(16 March 2012, 11:01)Yorkshirelass Wrote:

They must be at least 60 litres each thats excellent, Question will you have to transport fuel for the horseys or do they forage?

They forage and willl eat anything from grass to weeds to heather etc but of course if snow of any depth is on the ground I would take a small supply of pony nuts but they still clear the snow away with their hooves to get at whats beneath. I even have liccle waterproof "jackets" for them. They can easily carry 6 or 7 stone each but the problem is the kit in the piccy is about £300 quid (special steel framed saddle under the bags to keep weight off their backs) imported from USA inc taxes etc but I am workng on a DIY version. They would need to be hobbled at night to prevent them wandering too far. To be honest I would only take one with me if TSHTF as they can be little buggers to manage if something frightens them. They also bite when it suits them!

Just discovered my rucksack containing my BOB doesn't fit my back cos the straps are too short!! I can't believe it as the bag was sold as military style but would only fit a kid!!

More shopping then!