Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duck You !
18 March 2012, 10:54,
Duck You !
We have just been given 2 femail White Campbell ducklings and I was hoping one or more of you guys could offer some practical advice on the keeping of the little duckers.
Firstly, how big does this particular breed get. The only answer I can get is measured in kilograms which means absolutely sod all to me.
Also, at what age can the ducks be kept outside?
Does anyone know how to sex the birds? I've been told they're ladies but ??
Do ducks require any particular vetinery care?
Thanks guys.
You have to get up early to catch a fox.
18 March 2012, 13:59,
RE: Duck You !
There is nothing like planning ahead and this fits in there.

At the very least duck tastes great.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 March 2012, 15:05,
Give em some lipstick see if they put it on....
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
18 March 2012, 19:48,
I know nothing about Ducks except I like them crispy Smile
18 March 2012, 22:47,
Firstly, get them and yourself off to a vet.

Get their wings clipped, because when they are fully grown, they'll be off like a shot at the first chance.

And trying to chase something terrier sized (for a big one) and can fly isn't fun (they don't fly much , but still a pain to catch if they decide to)

The vet should also know what sex they are.

For looking after them the best way, contact these fine folk http://www.domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/index.htm
Sodomi Non Sapiens.
18 March 2012, 23:34,
Much arse grassy arse fine people, ESP Bucket.
Met a chicken farmer this afternoon...free range clucks x4 £14, in the bag and he said ducks can get salmonella easy when they live with chickens but as long as you disinfect the coops about every 3 months with Jeyes fluid and clean them out every week(new bedding etc) you will be fine. Also pick up your eggs straight away, have a routeen, get them early.
I will keep you posted about the ducking birds.
19 March 2012, 00:58,
That sounds really cool mate.

Post pics if you can.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 March 2012, 22:37,
How do you post pics? because that would be cool.
Managed to scrounge a reasonable sized dog kennel that I'm going to adapt to house the ducks. The wife swapped an old children's toy for a kidney bean shaped baby bath that I'll sink into the soil to make a bit of a pond.
Did you know that duck food DOESN'T attract vermin! Also they'll eat left over veg and keep the snail population to a minimum.
To stop the birds from flying you pull out the the first six feathers from one wing.
On another note, this morning we got our first three eggs from the clucks!
5 April 2012, 22:45,
Right then, still don't know how to stick photos on here because I'm tik.
The ducklings have virtually lost all their down and have nearly turned from baby yellow to adult white. They have grown from hand sized to 2 1/2 hand size and from what I understand they will end up the size of a small dog.
The improvised dog kennel has made a great duck house but something is wrong with it because the wet snow that hit us yesterday morning soaked the inside and wet all their bedding (however it was windy 35mph gusts and it was cold 1.1c) A fix is needed and I also need to raise it off the ground a bit.
We live in a through terrace on a row of 4 and our front garden is about 4m long and 6m wide.
Down the centre is a path that leads to the front garden gate.
I have raised the entire perimeter fence to 2.2m high and left slats (verticle openings) in it to allow wind through it.
We live on a hill on the side of an urban valley.
The 2 ducks live on one side and the 4 chickens live on the other, separated by the path.
We don't allow them to mix together because I understand that ducks are susceptible to salmonella which is transferred through their egg shells when in contact with chickens.
They both (chickens and ducks) eat poultry feed, which supposedly doesn't attract rodents and costs £7 for a big tatey sised sack!
The bedding is lemon scented horse bedding which is chopped straw and wood shavings, also at £7 a sack full. The food and bedding supposedly lasts about 3 months.
1 chicken is egg bound (not laying)(the wife says) 3 are giving us 1 egg each a day, every day now for 3 weeks ish. I'm sick of flicking eggs already! NOT.
The ducks won't start laying until between 5 and 7 months!
They are let out of their coops (chickings and ducks) every morning at 6.30 and all 6 of them put themselves to bed at dusk. The local blackbird sings them in!
I did build the pond out of the kidney bean shaped baby bath but it's more of a puddle! The ducks like it though.
Oh, I keep them separated with a makeshift fence either side of the path. Plan to build something better this Easter weekend as we are not going wild camping after all .
I am now really thinking about using solar powered garden lights to charge a 12v 85ah battery to run a pump to pump the water, via a timer, out of one of the two water butts we have in the garden. I'm also thinking about running a similar system in the back garden to water the veggies.
6 April 2012, 13:02,
Now it sounds like it has all come together. I'm negotiating over getting some chickens in for the summer.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin