Poll: What are your radio transmission preparations?
No Transmitter planned
PMR446
CB (UK FM)
CB Multimode with SSB
High Frequency ( amateur band) SSB / CW
VHF FM ( also SSB and CW)
UHF FM ( also SSB and CW)
Marine Band VHF FM
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Network Frequency Poll
23 March 2012, 16:51,
Brick  Network Frequency Poll
Following discussion of a national Survivor group radio communications network, it is important to understand how many of us have transmitting capability, and on which frequency bands.

So that we can try find an inter-operable solution that will support the maximum number of us, please take a few minutes to post your station capability on the Poll above.

Thanks
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

23 March 2012, 17:07,
RE: Network Frequency Poll
That's an awesome idea!

My plan is to get a CB radio, like out of the American Trucks. I know very little about communications, so I've posted it down as a CB (UK FM)*

I really don't know what it'll be capable of, or anything like that. It's just, from what I know, they are a safe bet. Whenever I've seen someone do comms work on films and stuff, they use those style radios, so that's what I'm going with. It's a completely uneducated option.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 March 2012, 19:05,
Guys it may be prudent / wise to expend this to other forums once you have got a system worked out, in my own case and being dumb about this sort of stuff I will wait to til lot decided on a system and I will adopt that system.

24 March 2012, 09:52,
Mainly due to funding issues I'm radio less at the moment. IF funds become available I'll go with the majority like N.R.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
24 March 2012, 15:48,
NR,

You now I'm happy to share but setting up a secure comms with everyone on forums isn't on my list. I'll be making sure I can communicate with my friends but open mic time is not a good idea as too many we don't now read these pages.

My plans are;
Secure comms with my family and friends.
Secure comms with fellow preppers and neighbours.
General comms with the rest of the prepper community.
General comms.

I am working on plans for each.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 March 2012, 10:56, (This post was last modified: 26 March 2012, 11:00 by Lightspeed.)
CB vs PMR446

For unlicensed radio transmitters ( thus un-notifiyable-to authorities), I do not think it to be a choice between one or the other format. Each has its place.

PMR446 is superb for highly portable, easy to conceal LOCAL communications .

CB UK FM will perform better over a greater range, but powers supplies and antenna sizes make it more conspicuous. One of the beauties of CB UK FM is that second hand equipment is available on the internet for very low prices.

CB antennas can be reduced in size to just a few inches long but by doing so the transmit efficiency reduces and viable range reduces to pretty much the same as the PMR446 standard.

Hopefully we will see a good number of responses to the poll, so as to get a better understanding of what resources are ready to be deployed in our survivor community.
SD

you have thought this through very well, as usual.

I agree with your prioritization.

#1 Secure comms with my family and friends.
#2 Secure comms with fellow preppers and neighbours.
#3 General comms with the rest of the prepper community.
#4General comms.

An inter-operable network is really targetted on Priorities #3 and #4
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

1 April 2012, 00:44,
My "radio transmission preparation"s do not necessarily mean I have the capability to transmit or have all the required kit at the moment. I voted on the poll based on what my preparations are. I presumed this also meant any current study of specific band areas and the relevent kit. TL
2 April 2012, 06:51,
Good point TL,

Thank you.

Yes, it's helpful to know what people are planning.

But its important that votes only get cast for what has high probability of being implemented.

Lightspeed
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580