Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Reality Check
24 March 2012, 16:01,
RE: Reality Check
Its all about guessing your level of risk. You have done that and decided in your case it is neglibible.

The only part I would disagree with is I think that we are not looking forward to it. I know some are on many forums but I and many other are not.

Good luck.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 March 2012, 18:58,
I can see a major event having its benefits, the world is over populated, we already know Mother Nature is fighting back, we can't keep taking from the earth and expect to maintain this standard of living, more food, more power and within a few years less country side now the gov have decided it's ok to build houses all over it, there saying now a cause for the Bees dying could be all the pesticides used, the list is endless of the damage were doing to this planet,some thing has to give! but I can see how easy it could be to confuse wanting to live in a better world with looking forward to a major event, prepping is a mind set and like NR said it's not for everyone.
24 March 2012, 19:36,
I think the only reason people in the UK think the world is overcrowded is because we live on a small island, and yes we as a nation are overcrowded, let’s not call for shtf just because the old United Kingdom is in trouble, there is vast amounts of space on earth, deserts and other that can be used for living we have the ability to turn them habitable.

I am falling more in to the category of what scythe said what we do should be something we do to enjoy and to for fill our daily living, a “hobby with benefits if you like”.

Just because we call our self’s preppers does not make us superior to the other humans that breath the same air, and this I fell a lot of preppers seem to think, the fact we use the term sheep might prove that fact, well knock knock the sheep are having fun, and if Xfactor gives them that then good luck, if our country is going to the shits then so be it, moaning won’t change things and nothing seems to be changing for the better so just be ready as best you can for your friends and loved ones.

To sum up as I am not really good at this, prep to meet your goals and prep to enjoy the skills learned, prep to have a safety net whatever that might be, but most of all prep to teach our young better life skills and so they will have less shock if they have to face a shtf when we are not around.
24 March 2012, 20:29,
I have a family and as such prepping takes a back seat to that, so family life first and then prepping although I try to combine both whenever possible.
I try on a daily basis to fit a bit of education for myself surrounding self reliance in one aspect or another such as fire lighting, chicken keeping, sprouting (which I seem to be grasping, slowly) you know what I mean.
Whenever I build or do something I let my boys help me, for example we've been busy stripping old pallets down and making a chicken coop for my soon to arrive chucks...
I try and remember that much as I learned by myself because I had no dad around, my boys need a helping hand in showing them what to do, whether thats building a flat pack wardrobe to painting my chicken coop.
I try and get them to try edible wild foods which is a good double edged sword because if it tastes bad, they usualy run to the corner shop and come back with a mars bar or two for us.....
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
24 March 2012, 22:43,
I enjoy prepping, I love learning new things, it's rare that I'll have a moment of concern about what might happen but it's a good feeling to know I have a better chance of taking care of me and mine if some thing did , but I live my life , was down the pub last night dancing away, had a great night, and it's not about space it's about what we take from the planet, the more people the more we drain it
24 March 2012, 23:19,
Ahh, leaving us so soon! I am pleased for your reality. Risk & time are funny things.. All the best on your new path. TL.
25 March 2012, 09:19,
(24 March 2012, 12:55)Yorkshirelass Wrote: the OH has asked me to move in with him which means that the ponies will have to go (boo hoo) as he lives in a large town but at least I will sleep better at night (in more ways than one!!) and feel more secure so to speak.

Ooow you big floozy! Leaving us for another man haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 March 2012, 10:36,
(24 March 2012, 23:19)Timelord Wrote: Ahh, leaving us so soon! I am pleased for your reality. Risk & time are funny things.. All the best on your new path. TL.

OOOOhhh how very diskworldy!!!TongueTongueTongue
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
25 March 2012, 10:57,
Good luck out there YL
You have to get up early to catch a fox.
26 March 2012, 10:21,
such a shame really, we need all the preppers we can get, but if its not for you then i wish you all the luck in the world.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.