Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Reality Check
27 March 2012, 18:16,
RE: Reality Check
(27 March 2012, 15:10)Skean Dhude Wrote: The bit you are missing is that she could be right. It is a risk that may never happen. Lets just accept that some people see less of a risk than others. Our actions follow from that. If the situation changes then she will revisit her decision. She is at least aware and is now doomed to forever think about these things.

Not missing any thing, depends on what she was thinking and prepping for, some of what I prep for is already happening, seems to me she was thinking major life changing event, that may or may not happen but what is happening is cost of living is flying up, the weather is causing all sorts of food production problems, fuel prices are a joke and are gona get worse, I work and stored food or not I could not afford to put my heating on during winter, were facing strikes that may well lead to others strikes, crime is on the up, job loses by the 1000's, shops closing down, I drove today for first time in 3 weeks ish, I was shocked at how many shops have closed since I last drove through London, we are at risk from terror attacks that are designed to cripple our financial sector and kill as many as possible, were facing a drought like 1976 , taps only came on for an hour a day,I could go on and on, big one or not were heading for much harder times, she was having a dig coz her boyfriend made her feel stupid for prepping, there's nothing wrong with my reality!

27 March 2012, 19:40,
(27 March 2012, 18:16)Prep Girl Wrote:
(27 March 2012, 15:10)Skean Dhude Wrote: The bit you are missing is that she could be right. It is a risk that may never happen. Lets just accept that some people see less of a risk than others. Our actions follow from that. If the situation changes then she will revisit her decision. She is at least aware and is now doomed to forever think about these things.

Not missing any thing, depends on what she was thinking and prepping for, some of what I prep for is already happening, seems to me she was thinking major life changing event, that may or may not happen but what is happening is cost of living is flying up, the weather is causing all sorts of food production problems, fuel prices are a joke and are gona get worse, I work and stored food or not I could not afford to put my heating on during winter, were facing strikes that may well lead to others strikes, crime is on the up, job loses by the 1000's, shops closing down, I drove today for first time in 3 weeks ish, I was shocked at how many shops have closed since I last drove through London, we are at risk from terror attacks that are designed to cripple our financial sector and kill as many as possible, were facing a drought like 1976 , taps only came on for an hour a day,I could go on and on, big one or not were heading for much harder times, she was having a dig coz her boyfriend made her feel stupid for prepping, there's nothing wrong with my reality!

I don't think she was having a dig. I think she was just expressing her opinion. She may have implied that we are all nuts, but that's something that most of us have probably already been told for having out own opinions.

Whatever happens, we wish her the best with everything she does, and we hope that she is right and that nothing bad will happen in out lifetimes.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 March 2012, 20:08,
I didn't say I didn't wish her luck, up to her what she does but she could just as easily have jumped on said it wasn't for her and left but she had a dig ,you just said it yourself she implied we were nuts, that we did not live in the real world or indeed really live our lives , that we look forward to a major event and she was going back to reality, in my book that's having a dig.
27 March 2012, 21:41,
(27 March 2012, 20:08)Prep Girl Wrote: I didn't say I didn't wish her luck, up to her what she does but she could just as easily have jumped on said it wasn't for her and left but she had a dig ,you just said it yourself she implied we were nuts, that we did not live in the real world or indeed really live our lives , that we look forward to a major event and she was going back to reality, in my book that's having a dig.

I understand your view.

It'll probably be one of those "Told you so" moments we will expect.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 March 2012, 22:09,
(27 March 2012, 15:00)bigpaul Wrote: [

I dont mind ponies depending on what flavour they are and how they are cooked, slow on a spit over an open fire would be nice, Mmmmm kentucky friend Shetland, finger lickin good Smile
just you make sure you leave my donkeys alone,NR!TongueBig Grin

[/quote]

I assure you your asses are perfectly safe !!!!!!!!!! :0Rolleyes

28 March 2012, 00:29,
She wasn't here prepping for long. She only just scratched the surface and was probably a bit overwhelmed by the magnitude of information overload. It could look a bit daunting and doomsayerish to anyone first getting involved. Maybe she was just not experienced enough to sort fact from fiction or to be able to compartmentalise different scenarios. I would think her wise boyfriend will have shown her the error of her ways and she should be settling down to a cosy happy life right now without any worries about the future. Thats her choice just like many before her. Time will tell... Good luck to Yorkshirelass wether she thinks she needs it or not.. Maybe her reality check will come knocking again as an unwelcome visitor next time!
28 March 2012, 09:14,
this is what happens when your OH is not on board, they persuade you that you are being stupid or paranoid and nothing will happen, and even if it does the govt will come to our aid, because that is why its there-right?? poor old sheeple, they just dont get it, they dont understand Politicians are only there for the prestige, wealth and power and they dont give a damn about you and me. ( thats ANY govt by the way, not just the current one, dosent matter which political party it is, their all the same.)
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 March 2012, 10:38,
Each to their own YL knows where the forum is if she changes her mind, you can take a horse to water etc. At least she investigated prepping first before making her mind up its not for her, most sheeple just condemn us out of hand.

28 March 2012, 12:08,
(27 March 2012, 18:16)Prep Girl Wrote:

You got the balance right Prep Girl, and I know from chatting to you your mind is where it should be.

But there are a lot of loons in prepping and people that really believe they can run to the woods and live of bunnies, with their little magic bug out bag and hide from nuke bombs or plague, and that winter won’t kill them as they will just build a fire with the skills they will learn with their copy of Collins gems SAS book.

There are also far too many preppers that think they hold more importance then there fellow man they hint or just say out right how they want millions to die as long as it is not them and their loved ones, and far far away from their area, all this repeats over and over from forum to forum.

Then we have the any negative news bot type preppers who need to inform us of problems or conspiracy every day a new disaster or event, or speculation and if we don’t want to listen we are sheep who are against them, we are ungrateful of all there effort.

The list goes on no wonder people think we are loons, if the shtf everything will be basic until sthf is fixed, this is why we need to prep, I have heard before both in UK and USA preppers hitting hard times and explaining how they only now are getting by because they prep stored when times were good, and are living off their preps a personal shtf me thinks.

It is important for a UK survival prepping forum to offer skills and information that will interest new members that are thinking of becoming preppers, to join and stay and over time offer their skill set, but I am sure if the direction of a forum is not focused correctly it can go off track and we will lose good preppers or new preppers and attract the wrong type.

I am not saying I am right and maybe I am the problem.
28 March 2012, 14:02,
good post W&C, i think i am one of the ones you refer to, i actually would like a SHTF to happen in my lifetime, not because i want millions of people to die-which they will, but because i think the human race has come to far too fast, there are millions of people out there, welded to their computers, Ipads, I phones, Xboxes or whatever the damn things are called, who have never seen a coal fire, known life before central heating, who dont care when they throw their rubbish down in the street, dont care where their refuse goes after it leaves their bin, carrys on having child after child after child just because they can and its their right-dontcha know. they dont care that the planet is running out of resourses, they just DONT CARE! thats why i want a big clear out of the human race and we can start again with a lower population and live a more natural slower pace of life, OK i may survive, then again i may not,i dont really care, but things cannot carry on the way they are going, its just not sustainable.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.