Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Storage and Introduction
10 January 2012, 10:25,
RE: Food Storage and Introduction
It's weird that you quoted me and didn't leave a message.
10 January 2012, 10:26,
(5 October 2011, 07:01)JD1 Wrote: Unless you are rich and have plenty of space it is impractical to store only tins as 3 tins a day per person works out at over a thousand tins per year per person. Rice is ideal as a 20kg bag can be bought for less than £20 and can provide up to 100 days worth of food for one person and doesn't take up much space. I agree with you that it is bland so storing enough tins etc to spice up rice meals would help, but as a staple food rice it is ideal. Stored in tubs with mylar and it will last many years

It's also worth storing some big tubs of wheat grain as it lasts for decades (unlike flour), just remember to store a grain mill as well Smile

I am not rich but am storing most of my supplies as tins, I will be bugging in so weight is not an issue. Tins have a long shelflife and do not require water for cooking, many don't need to be cooked at all so I save water and fire for other things, plus I won't have a big old smoke signal telling the Mancs where they can get a free meal. Soups are cheap at Asda so I have a lot of them, I have high calorie foods such as peanut butter and jams and my wife is an avid baker so we always have flours, sugars, dried fruits and cupcakes Big Grin Of course I have some pasta and rice in the cupboards but won't be storing a lot of these until I get my water supplies back to where I want them. This year my wife is looking to grow potatoes in the yard, we already have herbs, that might be an idea for you Kenneth as they are easy to maintain and make your rice and beans taste better. If you have lots of bland food then stock up on dried herbs too, and don't forget your favourite treat. If you have seen "Zombieland" you don't want to be Woody Harrelson looking for a twinkie!!!! I am working on a very tight budget and my wife and I will probably be made redundant soon so if I can get 6 months of food stocked away then I will feel a lot better.
10 January 2012, 11:31,
I store enough to get by, everyones on emergency rations, with me i.e. 1 meal a day, high calorie none of your regular meal times it's just not practical to try and stick to the old ways once they're gone. I stock up on what we eat now, tins and such water in recycled pop bottles etc.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."