Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pistol Crossbow
18 October 2013, 12:27,
RE: Pistol Crossbow
(18 October 2013, 12:24)Geordie_Rob Wrote:
(18 October 2013, 11:12)bigpaul Wrote: mind you, just the fact of having a loaded crossbow pointed at someone-post SHTF of course- might just make a few people change their mind.

If someone had 1 pointed at me, I'd be thinking more along the lines of "F**king hell" rather than "it's alright, it won't do much damage".

i'd be thinking of something along the lines of "SH#T, lets get the hell out of here!"Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 October 2013, 18:00,
I'd be thinking he's got one shot and one shot only...he looks terrified and i know how attrociously heavy and bad the trigger pull is ...i reckon he'll miss and then he's a dead man!
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
18 October 2013, 18:08,
with a red dot on your chest? don't think soBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 October 2013, 18:19,
I'd be willing to bet whatever you like that you cant hit point of aim using a red dot with a powerful pistol crossbow one time in five with that heavy trigger pull.
18 October 2013, 20:40,
.... but I wouldn't want to put my life on the line hoping he cant,.... we should be talking survival here, not taking a Bear Grilles type chances
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 October 2013, 21:41, (This post was last modified: 18 October 2013, 21:43 by Timelord.)
An aggressor fuelled on adrenaline and with a narrow focus on closing you down (even worse in low light conditions) may not even register the pistol crossbow enough to slow down the action. Using against more than one is sheer folly and is giving a massive advantage to the attackers - at your own mortal cost. These modern target shooting poor quality toys are not serious weapons to gamble you and your dependents lives on. It would be far wiser to sort out defensive measures with better odds. As for penetrating sheet rock board at a 90 degree angle - well what sort of test is that to compare to trying to hit a moving target that has impact absorbing qualities, especially if the target is robustly clothed? You would be better off throwing a hammer at them and it would also be far quicker to reload.....
I recommend for all those out there who profess to other enquiring preppers about the defensive utility of these modern pistol crossbows, to actually go to museums where original hunting type crossbows are displayed and so to see the integrity of construction that was really required to achieve the objective. They didn't build em like that for nothing! regards, TL

(18 October 2013, 20:40)Highlander Wrote: .... but I wouldn't want to put my life on the line hoping he cant,.... we should be talking survival here, not taking a Bear Grilles type chances

That's because you would be thinking about it like a prepper, with a long term view to survival. The aggressors battering down your door might not be..
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
18 October 2013, 22:34,
(18 October 2013, 11:12)bigpaul Wrote: mind you, just the fact of having a loaded crossbow pointed at someone-post SHTF of course- might just make a few people change their mind.

you should never bank on the threat of a weapon detering people...you must be willing to use it once you have brandished it...bit like racking a pistol or pump action is supposed to strike fear in people...i think you just give your position and advantage away...in my experience people tend to get angrier and more desperate/determined when you wave a weapon at or threaten them.
19 October 2013, 07:09,
(18 October 2013, 21:41)Timelord Wrote: An aggressor fuelled on adrenaline and with a narrow focus on closing you down (even worse in low light conditions) may not even register the pistol crossbow enough to slow down the action. Using against more than one is sheer folly and is giving a massive advantage to the attackers - at your own mortal cost. These modern target shooting poor quality toys are not serious weapons to gamble you and your dependents lives on. It would be far wiser to sort out defensive measures with better odds. As for penetrating sheet rock board at a 90 degree angle - well what sort of test is that to compare to trying to hit a moving target that has impact absorbing qualities, especially if the target is robustly clothed? You would be better off throwing a hammer at them and it would also be far quicker to reload.....
I recommend for all those out there who profess to other enquiring preppers about the defensive utility of these modern pistol crossbows, to actually go to museums where original hunting type crossbows are displayed and so to see the integrity of construction that was really required to achieve the objective. They didn't build em like that for nothing! regards, TL

That pretty much echoes my own thoughts on pistol crossbows.Well said.
19 October 2013, 07:38,
I'm not convinced with the argument that a 80lb self cocking pistol is a 'toy'.

I bought one and have tested it out. It WILL pierce flesh and more than 'pierce'

If the body mass target is robustly clothed then you may need a head shot. Imho a co2 bb gun will do less damage. A decent 80lb pistol crissbow WILL kill. Dont be too quick to discount.

Allonsy
19 October 2013, 09:38,
If the body mass target is robustly clothed then you may need a head shot. Imho a co2 bb gun will do less damage. A decent 80lb pistol crissbow WILL kill. Dont be too quick to discount.

The reason I mention the co2 is the magazine capacity 20 steel bob at close range I the face would cause more immediate pain that one dart. As I said in a previous post there's a reason firearms made bows and crossbow obselite stopping power. Dependant on you situation there are far better tool for the job
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles