Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pistol Crossbow
23 October 2013, 08:36,
RE: Pistol Crossbow
It's been a little time - I've been away in the Arctic with the OH and Wifi ain't so grand. Interesting thought that the far north of Norway and Sweden would be a grand place to retreat to - its wonderful and sparse. Trouble is the language and the costs - I mean £5 for a roll on deoderant - what's a poor girl to do.?

I take all of TL's points. Personally I have a "poverty of time". I don't have the time to research ballistics and wound effects. If that puts me in a poor situation then so be it.

I'm not looking to prowl the streets looking for low life to knock off but I do need something to stop people as they batter down my front or back door. The 80lb pistol is a good starter. I take the points about multiple assailants and so maybe a few other implements such as CO2 air pistol or even a paintball pistol would at least give the vital few seconds to get up close and put the bolt in the head from 2 feet away.

Having said all this I did start a thread looking for other ideas for 'legal' defence items. There were a few there but there needs to be a lot more thought in this UK area.

BP and TL - perhaps you might contribute to a new thread with some decent ideas.

Allonsy
23 October 2013, 18:01,
(23 October 2013, 08:36)River Song Wrote: It's been a little time - I've been away in the Arctic with the OH and Wifi ain't so grand. Interesting thought that the far north of Norway and Sweden would be a grand place to retreat to - its wonderful and sparse. Trouble is the language and the costs - I mean £5 for a roll on deoderant - what's a poor girl to do.?

I take all of TL's points. Personally I have a "poverty of time". I don't have the time to research ballistics and wound effects. If that puts me in a poor situation then so be it.

I'm not looking to prowl the streets looking for low life to knock off but I do need something to stop people as they batter down my front or back door. The 80lb pistol is a good starter. I take the points about multiple assailants and so maybe a few other implements such as CO2 air pistol or even a paintball pistol would at least give the vital few seconds to get up close and put the bolt in the head from 2 feet away.

Having said all this I did start a thread looking for other ideas for 'legal' defence items. There were a few there but there needs to be a lot more thought in this UK area.

BP and TL - perhaps you might contribute to a new thread with some decent ideas.

Allonsy

Shotgun.
24 October 2013, 08:37,
Fire extinguisher (go for foam or powder)
wasp nest spray (the foam)
oven cleaner
ammonia

ALL much more dangerous than a painball pistol.

I'd rather go old school and use a mace rather than a pistol crossbow, no reloading, just swing it. I'm sure the sight alone will put the willies up some.
24 October 2013, 10:18,
(23 October 2013, 18:01)BeardyMan Wrote: Shotgun.

Ok - Modification of request.

Assume NO FAC or SL

Now what are you going to do?

If you dont want to post publicly then send me
a PM

Allonsy
24 October 2013, 10:26,
(24 October 2013, 10:18)River Song Wrote:
(23 October 2013, 18:01)BeardyMan Wrote: Shotgun.

Ok - Modification of request.

Assume NO FAC or SL

Now what are you going to do?

If you dont want to post publicly then send me
a PM

Allonsy

Pay the £52 for a shotgun license, pick yourself up a shotgun for £50. Get a decent locking cabinet and you're good to go. I don't think you even need to keep a shotgun locked away (legally)

Or there are places that will sell you cartridges without producing your SL (I know, I was amazed too) then the rest is pretty straight forward - a pipe or two and ... well, you get the idea.

Failing that get yourself a chainsaw, nice big petrol one. I'd rather get shot with a crossbow than take a chainsaw across me.
24 October 2013, 10:28,
if you had to have a pistol crossbow why get a 80lb draw one when for £99 you can get a armex lynx 150lb draw one http://www.crossbows4u.co.uk/#/lynx-pistol/4535053811
Ready for Anything
http://autonopedia.org/
24 October 2013, 11:00,
the fundamental problems are that you only get one shot and the pistol bolts don't do enough damage 80ft lb may fail to penetrate and 150ft lb may whistle straight through leaving a non incapacitating wound...its the bolts lack of leathality.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
24 October 2013, 11:58, (This post was last modified: 24 October 2013, 12:08 by bigpaul.)
ever tried cocking a full sized crossbow ?, by the time you've managed to cock it someone has put a knife between your ribs. either that or you've put your back out ALA Northern Raider!!

one of the reasons I discounted full size crossbows is the fact you need to be built like Popeye or Arnie to cock it or even put on a new string!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 October 2013, 12:28,
I cant remember if NI has or just posted a link to a small compact yet powerful bow , it might be better to use something like that with full size arrows
Ready for Anything
http://autonopedia.org/
24 October 2013, 12:32,
(24 October 2013, 11:58)bigpaul Wrote: you've put your back out ALA Northern Raider!!

Well, that's the price you pay for sitting in an armchair all day! Big Grin