Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pistol Crossbow
4 October 2011, 22:17,
Pistol Crossbow
I've recently been looking into the purchase of both a pistol crossbow and an air gun. I want it purely for self defence purposes in an event scenario.

I have found this (very affordable) pistol crossbow on eBay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80lb-Self-cock...45fd7583db

Any good? I want something that will last and that isn't a toy. Also, does anyone know about the legality of this in the UK? If I buy this to be delivered will it be Royal Mail knocking my door or will it be the local sergeant? I don't plan on using it anywhere except on my property. It would obviously be a bad idea to keep it in the boot of the car.
4 October 2011, 22:23,
RE: Pistol Crossbow
would not bother, hand hend are not really up for the job a rifie kind is better and a precharged air rifle with stirip pump for hunting
to win the war, you must be willing to die
4 October 2011, 22:31,
Thanks. A rifle crossbow, now we're talking. Where would be the best place to buy these? Do you know about the legality?
5 October 2011, 11:30,
Boy Scout,

You can buy all these things over the internet and so far these are not restricted and subject to scrutiny by the Stasi. Sites that sell bows also sell these and JD is writing a series on bows over on the main site.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 October 2011, 11:58,
Just ordered this to whet my appetite. Can't wait until it arrives!

http://www.ukfishingandcamping.com/cross...istol.html

I'm not ignoring your advice grumpy old man, I fully intend to buy a proper crossbow as well before Christmas.
6 October 2011, 10:18,
boy scout
that's ok i have bought many a thing that's not up to the job but i really wanted it any way.
it does you good to shop and buy little treat's as long as you know their limit:.).
to win the war, you must be willing to die
17 October 2013, 11:47,
Pistol crossbows are fun but not going to do much damage. Lager bow with hunting bolts are far more effective. If your looking for an internal tool for close range defence look at a CO2 pistol the hold about 20 bbs and if shotbin the face they may not kill but will give you a bad day
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
17 October 2013, 11:57,
so will a pistol crossbow bolt in the chest! don't discount pistol crossbows, get one of the self cocking 80LB pistol crossbows, they DO pack a punch and are easy to cock and shoot, cheap as chips at £30 odd!i bought one on the recommendation of Tartar Horde and was so impressed I bought a second one.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 October 2013, 14:53,
They will do damage but unless you hit a bleed out point they don't have much knock down power. If for example it was used for self defence purposes and you shot a guy and they were charging you with a knife the likely hood would be your being stabbed. They have cases of this happening when a gun is being used instead of a crossbow. I think a pistol could be used for small game hunting but thing for self defence your better using other options
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
17 October 2013, 15:00,
(17 October 2013, 14:53)PreparednessUK Wrote: They will do damage but unless you hit a bleed out point they don't have much knock down power. If for example it was used for self defence purposes and you shot a guy and they were charging you with a knife the likely hood would be your being stabbed. They have cases of this happening when a gun is being used instead of a crossbow. I think a pistol could be used for small game hunting but thing for self defence your better using other options

I think if someone got a bolt from a pistol crossbow in an arm or a leg it would pull them up short, say in confined spaces indoors, on the stairs, in a hallway, useful intruder deterant post SHTF. for small game hunting i'd be using an air rifle.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.