Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Purification Portable DIY prototype
9 May 2012, 13:05,
RE: Water Purification Portable DIY prototype
Last night I tested the flow rate & fine tuned it. I have incorporated a flow regulator into the outlet. This is just a fixed rubber disk pierced with small holes.

This now holds back the water flow to a regular amount and in so doing keeps the water in contact with the activated charcoal for longer by backing it up within the charcoal filter chamber. This also stops the water from mainly forming a passage through only a limited part of the activated charcoal. This was observed by close torchlit scrutiny.

Also, I made up a simple independent cartridge refill out of a short piece of the plastic pipe with a coupler at each end. Trapped inside the couplers at each end was a foam disk to retain the activated charcoal within the main body. These cartridges can be slotted on the existing spout end to substantially increase the amount of charcoal the water has to pass through or can be kept as easily carried spares or even used "as is" in other configurations/scenarios.

I have blanked off the original side exit in the prototype water bag and have now fitted the filter assembly exiting from the centre bottom of the bag. This works quite efficiently.

At the moment it takes approx 5 mins to fill a half litre container. So that is v.roughly a litre in 10 mins or 6 litres an hour - not that you can fit that much in the bagBig Grin

Without the rubber flow regulator it will run faster but I think the present rate is an ideal compromise between flow rate and exposure to the activated carbon. TL.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Water Purification Portable DIY prototype - by Timelord - 9 May 2012, 13:05