Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ultimate camp/survivor tool?
7 April 2012, 15:39,
RE: Ultimate camp/survivor tool?
I'll just leave this here....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
7 April 2012, 18:17,
(7 April 2012, 15:39)Tibbs735 Wrote: I'll just leave this here....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o

SOLD!!!

Oh wait, it's almost £100 for 1 of them. Cheapest I've seen is £75+
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2012, 19:24,
So you see the concept I am working at now. I told my mate about my design idea a few months ago and he told me about this U tube video he had seen of a chinese multipurpose entrenching tool. He did note they were digging in soft sand though. he thought it was a very frantic & humerous video. I have just watched it and I like the design of the tool, especially the multifunctions of the rotating head. Mine will not have any folding parts as they are usually a weakness in the tool, especially if you use it for work involving heavy forces, like as an axe or digging heavy ground. I would like to see one for an appraisel. I just would not go & fork out (pun?) hard cash based on a Manufacturers advertising video. It would be worth searching the net for serious reviews first. I do like it/the concept though :-)
9 April 2012, 13:14,
Here is a look at my ongoing project. It is far from finished yet!

9 April 2012, 19:20,
You just do what the army do, carry a regular entrenching tool and a pickaxe... "suck it up and put your back into it, you orrible little scroat"
Yes its extra weight but you can hit people with pickaxe handles as well... look at it like exercise, an army pickaxe only weighs about 10lbs or so, the army have managed for years to dig vast trench systems with them... why spend all that cash?? on some fancy schmancy kit thats not really needed??
If youve all got spare cash send it my way, I could do with a new car....
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
9 April 2012, 20:45,
Because everything weighs something. The more of it there is, the more it weighs. To be able to carry the maximum amount of prioritised items I can whilst still having adequate mobility, I am cutting the weight down across my entire kit spectrum. Heaven forbid I do have walk out on foot, then I need to make it manageable. I have realised that this is my primary prep. Everything else is a bonus, including being able to stay at my home a long as possible or having access to a vehicle.
The Army have a whole infrastructure and supply chain behind them. The soldiers are usually working in teams. They have communications & mechanised transport when possible. I am not going to carry anything unnecessarily. Why would I carry a pickaxe & an entrenching tool + an axe & multiple knives, big & small + maybe firearms & ammo, & absolutely everything else I would wish for ( A long list) , if I don't need to.
This little project should combine an axe, a large knife, a spade, a hook, a saw, maybe a few small nocks for a wirecutter & other tools, a prybar, a paddle, a fire steel, a paracord handle & maybe a few other design mods if I can think of them Big Grin
If I can get the weight down to about 1kilo, which is the same as my camp utility axe with back hammer head - then I have negated having to carry the combined weight of & the clutter of maybe 4 larger items & few smaller ones + the thing will be indestructable. I will have enough items to carry on my belt kit anyway and this will simplify things.
9 April 2012, 21:18,
Interesting project TL!

Kind of reminds me of the Woodsmans Pal:

http://www.woodmanspal.com/

Ter
9 April 2012, 21:38, (This post was last modified: 9 April 2012, 21:40 by mikebratcher69.)
(9 April 2012, 20:45)Timelord Wrote: Because everything weighs something. The more of it there is, the more it weighs. To be able to carry the maximum amount of prioritised items I can whilst still having adequate mobility, I am cutting the weight down across my entire kit spectrum. Heaven forbid I do have walk out on foot, then I need to make it manageable. I have realised that this is my primary prep. Everything else is a bonus, including being able to stay at my home a long as possible or having access to a vehicle.
The Army have a whole infrastructure and supply chain behind them. The soldiers are usually working in teams. They have communications & mechanised transport when possible. I am not going to carry anything unnecessarily. Why would I carry a pickaxe & an entrenching tool + an axe & multiple knives, big & small + maybe firearms & ammo, & absolutely everything else I would wish for ( A long list) , if I don't need to.
This little project should combine an axe, a large knife, a spade, a hook, a saw, maybe a few small nocks for a wirecutter & other tools, a prybar, a paddle, a fire steel, a paracord handle & maybe a few other design mods if I can think of them Big Grin
If I can get the weight down to about 1kilo, which is the same as my camp utility axe with back hammer head - then I have negated having to carry the combined weight of & the clutter of maybe 4 larger items & few smaller ones + the thing will be indestructable. I will have enough items to carry on my belt kit anyway and this will simplify things.

Maybe the U.S. army, the British army was/is notorius for not providing fu*k all.
You were expected to dig a 6 foot deep trench rapid on your own.
A pick axe was a luxury item let me tell you, we usualy had just an entrenching tool (small spade) Its good you make your own gear though T.L. theres no better way for getting just what you need at the right price, which for me is cheap or free!!
The only mod was usualy a sharpened edge on one side of the tool for cutting roots etc.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
9 April 2012, 23:26,
(9 April 2012, 21:18)Terry Wrote: Interesting project TL!

Kind of reminds me of the Woodsmans Pal:

http://www.woodmanspal.com/

Ter

Nice tool. Like it. Same as a hedging bill over here. Been making them since medieval times & were an awesome weapon for the rank & file troops. Would be a very useful item to carry and much overlooked by survivalists. Mine will be similar but much heavier duty & incorporating an axe etc. Thankyou for the link. I recommend them all round.

Just a note - You can buy one over here at an agricultural retailer like "Charlies" or at a decent hardware store for around a tenner. For that money it will be a serious piece of kit out of good steel with a proper hardened edge. They are v.cheap!!
10 April 2012, 21:33, (This post was last modified: 10 April 2012, 21:37 by Timelord.)

Still in development..
Weight now down to just 50grams more than my axe. I think I can still get this last bit of fat off and fit the ash fillet handles.