Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Vests for Survival
7 April 2012, 18:06,
RE: Vests for Survival
I can see the benefits to a body-warmer style vest for EDC.

It's the EDC thing I have an issue with, but I think it's probably my perception of vests, as being a military style item. Having a body-warmer type thing seems much more appropriate.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2012, 19:07,
Id sooner a vest then a pouch, In fact the pouch stands out quit a lot, I only just built my EDC pouch this year cost quite a fair bit as well, and the vest non-military look just keeps making more sense to me, still looking.

Paul got it right, an even spread of weight around the upper torso and easy accessible kit, this is the way to go for edc as well as general bushcraft which I was already doing with my in your face type vests.
7 April 2012, 19:40,
Or we could all become scousers and wear big bum bags :-)
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
7 April 2012, 19:49,
(7 April 2012, 18:06)Scythe13 Wrote: I can see the benefits to a body-warmer style vest for EDC.

It's the EDC thing I have an issue with, but I think it's probably my perception of vests, as being a military style item. Having a body-warmer type thing seems much more appropriate.

i think your missing the point Scythe, these are not military style vests but sleeveless jackets with pockets, sure on line you can get camo ones , but i'm talking about plain colours, in fact i only had a choice of 2 colours when i bought mine in the market, a blue one or a greeny grey one which is the one i eventually bought.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2012, 20:21,
I don't think he is missing the point. He doesn't like them for some reason. To each his own and he needs to sort out what is suitable for him in his environment and use that.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 April 2012, 21:26,
i have a mil vest full loaded and a belt order a long with that i a patrol sack with two large side pouches attached and 6 water bottle holders with bottles attached too. i keep it all in the car that i use at the time and i never go further than 15 minutes from the car, if i need the kit then i won't care what i look like
to win the war, you must be willing to die
7 April 2012, 23:48,
(7 April 2012, 20:21)Skean Dhude Wrote: I don't think he is missing the point. He doesn't like them for some reason. To each his own and he needs to sort out what is suitable for him in his environment and use that.

I think it's probably lack of experience using them, that makes me bias against them.

(7 April 2012, 21:26)grumpy old man Wrote: if i need the kit then i won't care what i look like

And probably a bit of that. Vanity can be a bad thing.

As a body-warmer style, I can see the benefits as an EDC. It's probably also the fact that, because I don't see many people wearing them, I worry about standing out. I stand out enough as it is, so wearing a mil-style vest would be a no-no. So I'm quite digging the civi-style vests. They really do look like body-warmers.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 April 2012, 01:27,
i dont stand out too much (i hope) the wifee would kill me her self lol
i keep what i need in the car and dress (normal) when out the grayman thing, but if any thing happened the really everythings out the window my main focus is getting to my family and the rest of the kit?
i don't have a small holding and so my preps are limited to where i can keep them so the rest of my family and a couple of close friends and family become a tight unit i understand that after anything has happened the need to raid will become greater so a lot of our stuff is geared up for that and tactics used that aren't going to be nice that's why i carry the kit i need which isn't really a bob or a edc or good thing it's everything because when people you care about need you then you can't let them down ever.
i know what you saying but even if you carry a vest in a holdall or some sort of bag and only pull it when you need it that covers the (look think) and you will find a vest is really easy to move in and can carry a lot of stuff.
buy a cheap one off ebay and take it out for a test if you don't like it after that put it back on ebay or if it's cheap anuff then i buy it from you?
8 April 2012, 01:45,
A string vest would be good. I heard they are warm and you could fasten all sorts of foilage/grasses into the mesh + pouches all over if that felt good. Any one with one of these would blend in to the Norvern areas quite easily. I was thinking flat cap too so I looked like a farmer out inspecting his fields. Maybe a roll of baling twine instead of paracord & use it for your belt. That should complete the look nicely and give the appearance of a country local going about his business.Big Grin
8 April 2012, 01:51, (This post was last modified: 8 April 2012, 01:53 by grumpy old man.)
no way you would get lock up straight away, they think you came from glasgow and you name was mr nesbitt or rab for short lol:-)
hay TL how do you have so many picture of sad man hussin ? and why?