Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery Storage
9 April 2012, 19:04,
Battery Storage
I'm looking at storing several deep cycle batteries as components. The cases and the acid seperate. This allows me to replace them when they become unusable.

Does anyone know enough about rechargeable batteries to tell me if I buy them uncharged and store them without charging will they last longer than any in use? Or is there another way.

My preps rely a lot on batteries and I want to extend their lives as much as possible.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 July 2012, 20:50,
RE: Battery Storage
I used to sell batteries at one time in my life and these were always delivered to us 'dry charged'. When a customer wanted one we would pour in the required amount of acid and give it a low boost on the charger to kick it into life. These were car batteries by the way. I would assume that a deep cycle battery could be treated the same way - the deterioration in performance only starts to happen when the acid and metal are brought into contact with each other. There is a web site at http://www.courtiestown.co.uk which might just be able to help with the longevity of batteries - they have something called a 'battery desulphator'. I'm not sure what this does but it might be helpful/interesting.
10 July 2012, 20:58,
You can order deep cycle batteries with the acid supplied seperately in yellow plastic bottles for activation at a later day.

10 July 2012, 22:36, (This post was last modified: 10 July 2012, 23:01 by Nemesis.)
This thread needs some geeks, can the geeks please post, as this is one of the bigger things we need to prep.
Not quite what this thread is asking but long shelf life, also I can't find these deep cycles sold without the acid in them, can we have a link.

Lucas 12v 113ah Ultra Deep Cycle Leisure Battery
Product Code: 12V75

Product Information

PRICE INCLUDES VAT AND FREE NEXT DAY DELIVERY

NEW GENERATION LUCAS LX31MF 113 AH ULTRA DEEP CYCLE LEISURE BATTERY

Lucas- The new generation of leisure batteries. This battery is part of the new range of Lucas leisure batteries designed for long life and deep discharging. Safe, Clean and portable this battery is fully sealed for life and comes with a massive three year warranty. Unlike standard leisure batteries which may do between 100-150 recharge cycles the new Lucas range will do 500! yes 500!

Ideal and safe for Caravans, boats, motor movers, motorhomes and engine starts

Specifications:

12v 113 ah

500 cycles

1050CCA (COLD MARINE ENGINE CRANKING)

Weight: 25kg

Dimensions(mm)
330 x 172 x 242 (incl. terminals)

Dual terminals
Integral state of charge indicator
Comfortable reinforced carrying handles
Anti-flashback safety labyrinths
Low self discharge rate giving long shelf life

3 year warranty with service centres all over the U.K

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/buy-onl...d_104.html
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
11 July 2012, 08:35,
I bought my last ones from our local motoring and camping store in Teesside, he apparently gets all his batteries dlivered dry and fills them himself, so for me i had no problem in asking him to sell me my two batteries plus four bottles of acid for the same price as a charged unit. try your local battery supplier.

11 July 2012, 22:42,
If you can source them, use old secondhand forklift batteries.
They may have lost their 'high torque power' for use in forklifts but still have plenty (years) of life left in them for 'deep cycle' power usage and storage.
Built for purpose.

Yes, for battery storage empty out the acid - and be careful about it!

Use only distilled water to top up batteries.

Do your own research - not sure on the technic but from a dry fill of distilled water a battery can produce its own acid.

Cheers Juice.
walk outside the box
12 July 2012, 13:42,
Be aware that 'dry' batteries (batteries supplied without the acid) are likely to become very difficult to get. The way they are made results in a higher amount of sulphuric acid cloud escaping into the environment and as a result lots of countries have legislation in the works to ban their manufacture.
Also dry cell batteries while having a much longer shelf life than wet batteries tend to have a poorer operational characteristics than a wet battery of the same size/weight. As a result many battery users are leaning away from dry batteries preferring to rely on just-in-time supply chains to get wet batteries to their point of use when required.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
26 June 2013, 10:19,
it depends what your looking for as what types of batteries ....

if they are for auto related use then ultimately the CCA (Cold Crank Amperage) is important...the ability to mechanically" boot" round an engine from cold....Heavy Amps....these are typically wet cell - gel-style will work but the range and use of GC are ok but dont have the WELLY of Wet Cell...they are kinda like the "prissyy cousins "Tongue

Ni-Cads dont like recharging unless they are totally discharged completeley ...and will build up a resistance to subsequent charging if no totally discharged....

Leclanche Batts dont like damp and theres so many "Taiwanny" types available now i dont hink people bother with them so much....the cheap blister pack you cant rely on....

If i was going to build a self contained backyard post SHTF power unit then it would probably be based around Submarine batteries or a Milk Float(which i wouldnt take apart , apart from bypassing the thristor drives)Cool

they both take high Charge / Discharge curves and suitable for heavy abuse!Tongue

Alterego