Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No fuel became a sudden reality
9 April 2012, 19:20,
No fuel became a sudden reality
How many of you got caught without fuel when the government sent everyone into a panic a couple of weeks ago?

We didn't but even with both cars having 3/4 full tanks, it still came as a shock. Long queues for DERV which ran out within 2 hours and the first village theft of fuel from a parked van.

So we reviewed our current plans.
Both our half size jerry cans were full but that only totalled 15 liters of DERV (150 miles). Problem was neither of us could remember how old the fuel was.

Luckily we had the means of syphoning from car to car but at most that would have given one vehicle an extra 550 miles of motoring.

So after a quick practice with the manual pump we put everything away refilling our jerrycans soon afterwards.

How did you all manage and did anyone get "caught out"?

9 April 2012, 19:25,
RE: No fuel became a sudden reality
Im running a dual fuel jeep, and got plenty of diesel and gas stocked :-)
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
9 April 2012, 19:46,
I thought I was going to get caught out, but that's because my job has me driving all over the South West, and half of Wales.

The only problem it caused was not being able to come up to the meet in Chester. My dad in Warrington said there was no chance of me getting enough fuel to come back. So said I shouldn't come up.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
10 April 2012, 08:27,
local garage(we have only one) ran out on the thursday, when it got its delivery on friday the queue was about one third up the high street(this is a small town). we keep our tank(just the 1 vehicle) topped up, when it reaches half empty we refill straight away, got 15 litres in the garage, got 2X10litre cans to refill, then thats me done.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 April 2012, 08:44,
No problems here. I saw the massive queues at the garages on the way home from work. I was running on empty but refused to sit and wait. Neighbour came home about an hour and a half later and said that both garages in town were completely dry. This left me in a sticky situation, as I had no fuel at all, an no chance of getting any.

So.... I dumped a gallon of vegetable oil in the truck, made a quick call to another garage on the way to reading to make sure they had fuel, then went and filled up the truck and a jerry can. I also took delivery of 50 ltrs of cherry the next day, just in case Smile
10 April 2012, 10:46,
Deisel Storage.
Just read an article where is says you can store deisel in the dark for up to two years BUT let light shine on it and it'll grow deisel bug (algae).
Also states the biggest killer of stored deisel is condensation and advocates the use of a dessicant.
Anyone know how on earth you would add a dessicant to deisel??