Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storing peach mush
31 August 2011, 18:02,
Storing peach mush
I decided to try and store some of the peaches I grew this year. By the time I had peeled them and stoned them I was left with a pile of mush. That is fine for me because I like crumble and the like but I was curious if anyone knew how to get a peach into halves like they are when they come out of a tins?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 September 2011, 00:32,
RE: Storing peach mush
i would try a potatoe peeler and then cut in half?
it's more than likely wrong as i can't cook any thing nice but can eat any thing.
thanks for the spices tip though the kids struggle with eating the "wild food" and it worries me so will be try it.
to win the war, you must be willing to die
1 September 2011, 08:28, (This post was last modified: 1 September 2011, 08:28 by Skean Dhude.)
Nope. That was the first thing I tried. Mush.

I peeled them OK, even though they were not smooth like the tinned ones. Obviously done by a machine.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 September 2011, 10:34,
I had the same problem but I'm happy with chunks of peaches. I have to cut up the tinned ones anyway for anything I make.
That bird house was a legitimate expense.
24 January 2012, 15:20,
Processing Peaches.
Place Peaches in boilng water for a few mins to loosen skins. Remove one at a time from water and make a cut longwise all the way round the stone. Gently twist both halve in opposite direstions. You will then have two halves, one with the stone in. Get a sharp knife and tap the stone with the blade. The knife should hopefully stick in the stone. Twist the knife and the stone should come out. Once the stone is out, gently slip off any remaining skin. This is a messy process and you really do have to be gentle. But it works. See pic of bottled peaches and Pears.Smile
If you have some that are really ripe, you could always make Peach Jam, Chutney and Peach Nectar.

[Image: SUNP0005-1.jpg]

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
24 January 2012, 16:22,
The supermarkets, and the processing plants use 'slightly' (slightly, as in....to a varying degree) unripe peaches. A ripe peach will start to spoil in the air. Supermarket's don't sell real ripe peaches. Same as with tomatos. They blast tomatos with carbondioxide to make them red and look like they are ripe. It's the same with the peaches. They manipulate conditions to make them 'ripe' to sell.

If you grow your peaches and let them ripen, you've already lost half the battle. Their un-skinned-air-exposed time will be what lets them 'rippen' in the tinning process, apparently. But they still seem too firm to be ripe to anyone that has ever grown peaches.

You'll notice a big difference in taste between tinned peaches and ripe peaches. The main reason is because they are stored in syrups and sugar solutions that contain peach flavouring.

Try them side by side. You'll see a HUGE difference in flavour.