Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
quality metal entrenching tool
13 April 2012, 22:50,
RE: quality metal entrenching tool
timelord ... cheers mate i thought i was sending out the wrong message for a second , these are the original stronger type but with a rubberised pouch which can be attatched to a belt or ruck sack , i agree about its use and i also think its superior to a knife in a confrontation.
13 April 2012, 23:02,
I'm still on the fence, but as always, I'm willing to learn and be proved wrong.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 April 2012, 09:16,
(13 April 2012, 17:59)Scythe13 Wrote:
(13 April 2012, 17:22)bigpaul Wrote: if you want to dig a hole, buy a garden spade or a Devon spade(very long handle), better than any entrenching or folding tool, and you wont rick your back doing it either!

That'd be too cumbersome for a BOV or BOB.

entrenching tools and the like are too short for 6 footers, definite bad back material, a garden spade-if you buy a border spade, are very light and wouldnt take up much room in a BOV.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 April 2012, 10:10,
just my opinion .... i dont buy on impulse and being in an industry where digging to uncover utilities is our business more often than not your on your knees digging and working the ground carefully not to catch other utilities ... impossible with a long handled spade and big paul the reason i added this post was that if others have considered buy a multipurpose tool there is a quality one available at a very good price...it wasnt to discuss whats a better way to dig a hole or whats good or bad for your health...if we are to prepare then we must be open to peoples views and take a look at things without blinkers on....new to posting but far from new to prepping.
14 April 2012, 10:21,
(14 April 2012, 10:10)Familyguy Wrote: just my opinion .... i dont buy on impulse and being in an industry where digging to uncover utilities is our business more often than not your on your knees digging and working the ground carefully not to catch other utilities ... impossible with a long handled spade and big paul the reason i added this post was that if others have considered buy a multipurpose tool there is a quality one available at a very good price...it wasnt to discuss whats a better way to dig a hole or whats good or bad for your health...if we are to prepare then we must be open to peoples views and take a look at things without blinkers on....new to posting but far from new to prepping.

just my personal opinion FG, as someone who spends a lot of time on our allotment, saving back strain is high on my agenda, putting our backs out post SHTF is not a wise move, its not like we will be searching for utilities or the like, more likely we will be digging up our caches, the best tool for the job is what we need, this will be different for each of us as we may be using it for different things.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 April 2012, 14:25,
All these various points of view are invaluable material to base ones individual considerations on. TL.[/i]
14 April 2012, 15:54,
I love the varied views, but I also appreciate the info on where to get things. So, for me, this thread is brilliant!

As you all know, the Spade/Entrenching Tool issue is one I'm totally screwed up about. I see the benefits, but can't imagine myself using/needing one.

I think it was TL's thread, about the tool he's making, where I first challenged/questioned the use for such an item.

For me, I see BP's view, because I'm exactly (AlyBear would say "Only just" haha) 6 feet tall. So I do think that a longer spade would be better for many uses. However, I think if I was digging, I would be kneeling because it would make me lower profile and because my cache's will be in smaller containers, so I'd need to be more careful about digging them up. Also, for reasons of poop, I think a spade/Ent...Tool would be useful.

I am pretty certain I'll be going for a digging tool, but probably a small collapseable one that I can clip onto my BOB.

So, although this thread was about where to get a specific tool, it's really helped me with my decision. Same as how TL's thread made me not laugh at having a spade thing, this thread (and some PM's) have made it 95% certain I'll get a collapsable spade thing.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin