Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Colony
17 April 2012, 21:05, (This post was last modified: 17 April 2012, 22:18 by Nemesis.)
RE: Colony
Ok. Assuming initial colony build is underway , various 'plots' taken in areas around central location.
Inventory taken. Supplies distributed.

Jobs assigned (if necessary) to priority tasks.
Sanitation - reminder to keep away from drinking water supplies.
Security - Obvious lookout points decided upon and actions on 'X' given.

Moving forward -
Potential for any food crops probably low as ground being quite rocky - topsoil may be thin and waterlogged. Best crops for ground conditions ?
Forest areas ideal for deer and other upland wildlife - suitability for killing with bow and arrow , no noise , no usage of ammunition which might be hard to replace.
Water courses should all hold fish , nets across river mouths, rod & reel in rivers , larger nets in lakes /tarns.
Tents should be coming down as stone structures / basic small buildings appear.
Knowledge of what is available and what is required should now be optimal.

Forage in search of materials we dont have , or areas where we can utilise more suitable ground for crops.

At this point we should expect to see organised groups moving around and actively searching for anything they can use , we should now be thinking of our own movement and perhaps linking with any other 'survivor/prepper' groups for mutual defence.

addendum -
Can we go it alone ? Is the area secure enough ?

Common routes accessing our area should be under constant observation , some form of routine now setup , as initial supplies dwindle we will probably be turning towards 'liberating' things from the surrounding areas.

So we send out foraging parties , which in turn are recce patrols.

Items are gathered and held at a rendezvous point , recce patrols will 'handover' and returning recce will transport all items back to central point to distribute and rest up.
Return routes should alternate , and also should always be under observation in case of any hostiles / followers.

Am I getting too deep here ?
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
17 April 2012, 22:28, (This post was last modified: 18 April 2012, 01:33 by Nemesis.)
BTW - Area around ' Llyn Elsi ' looks good , height advantage on 3 sides by the looks of it - close to water , the lake itself has 2 small islands , and is a good general overwatch area for the main road route nearby , also betwys y coed is handy for scavenging.

17 April 2012, 23:47,
Betws y coed, Llanwrst- My Dad's old stomping ground, and I grew up there !

Best crop growing land is south of Llanwrst, problem is the main road, it's the back road to Bangor, so would get a lot of attention from people following it.

Know of one prepper down there already- best plan is to tap the wind farm at Llyn Aled for electricity and water in his opinion.
Sodomi Non Sapiens.
18 April 2012, 00:43,
Yes - agreed - the road could be a problem , but it could also be a blessing mate.

Works both ways , you keep an eye on it for any unusual movement of people , they are good indicators of trouble - people moving along it ( are they carrying much ? do they look happy or worried ? , are they looking over thier shoulders ? running from ? - or - running to ? What possessions do they have , travelling light indicating speed was of the essence ( trouble isnt far behind ) or do they have possessions such as suitcases , some boxes in small trailers / handbarrows ? ( had time to pack , moving with a destination in mind ).

Scavenger groups will take the easy route all the time , they wont climb small hills just on the offchance that something is there.
Post look-outs on the hill to the north of the village , which can see the roads ( A5,A470,B5106) and most of the village and some paths up to the lake , and also on the higher point to the south just before the village ( A5 , B4406 )-and also to the SW of Llyn elsi on the same hill (to observe road and rail movements along the small 'valley' and paths.)

Bugout would be west to pont-y-pant keeping to treeline and head SW towards Dolwyddelan or overland SE with an RV on the high point between Penmachno and Carrog.
Then options of ffestiniog or Porthmadog to scavenge.
18 April 2012, 01:37,
Good discussion and a lot to think about keep it up, but I am afraid it could never happen as a country wide project, I reckon any major shtf event the roads will be grid lock in next to no time, and I can't see myself off-roading it to Wales.
18 April 2012, 05:10,
I have the following that I can bring to the party.

i. Several tonnes of tinned food ( I can massively increase this )
ii. Lots of meds, antibiotics, pain killers. ( Wife is also a Nurse)
iii. Water purifiers
iv. Camping stoves with a yrs supply of gas
v. Knives, crossbows, air weapons.
vi. tents, sleeping bags, cooking equipment & utensils.
vii. Thousands of packets of seeds
viii Stores of clothing and walking shoes, varying sizes.
iix Soap, disinfectant and sanitary products, ie toothpaste, razors, tampons etc.

I am keen to be part of any community. I would bring myself, my wife, 3 other adults and 2 small children. 3 Adults are combat trained, 1 is a Nurse.

My plan is to buy a 7.5 tonne truck and fill it ready to go. If need be I will buy 2 or 3 and fill all of them. The SHTF is coming and I am getting stocked ready. All of the things in my list above will be currency in the new world. If you have ideas of other stuff, let me know, I will get it.

Some people think I am mad buying stuff in such volume, I just don't think the numbers on my online account will mean much in a post SHTF world. Besides, that "tinterweb thingy" won't be around for me to use to log on, and cash machines will also be dead.

Seriously though, I am seeing the major shift toward the SHTF and it is time to do something. If I dont find a safe place and people to be with, I am a huge target with my stores, and cannot fight hordes of hungry chavs on my own. at least in the remote hills, there is less chance of attack and if we are well fed, we will be strong enough to defend.

So, meets ? I am Midlands based, but will travel.

Steve
18 April 2012, 09:16,
i cant say anything about other areas(as i dont know them that well/or not at all) but i know my own area very well, i have lived in this county for nearly 50 years. the main population areas are either in the 2 cities(Exeter and Plymouth) or around the coast(Torquay, Paignton, South Hams, Bideford & Barnstaple), once you get away from these areas you see small towns and even smaller villages with tiny populations, my own town has a population of 1300, i know villages where the populations are in the low hundreds and one place with a pop of 86! i have travelled this county of Devon, up and down, and from east to west, and there are places out in the countryside away from main roads where you wont see another person for days or weeks, and thats in good times, when TSHTF you wont see people just for days or weeks but for months(even years) at a time. what i am saying is that i could quite easily find a place, remote and isolated, where me and mine could remain hidden and unobserved for ages.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 April 2012, 09:19,
Are conditions right in wales for growing food on what might be quite large scale?.
Failure is NOT an option
18 April 2012, 09:24,
(18 April 2012, 09:16)bigpaul Wrote: i cant say anything about other areas(as i dont know them that well/or not at all) but i know my own area very well, i have lived in this county for nearly 50 years. the main population areas are either in the 2 cities(Exeter and Plymouth) or around the coast(Torquay, Paignton, South Hams, Bideford & Barnstaple), once you get away from these areas you see small towns and even smaller villages with tiny populations, my own town has a population of 1300, i know villages where the populations are in the low hundreds and one place with a pop of 86! i have travelled this county of Devon, up and down, and from east to west, and there are places out in the countryside away from main roads where you wont see another person for days or weeks, and thats in good times, when TSHTF you wont see people just for days or weeks but for months(even years) at a time. what i am saying is that i could quite easily find a place, remote and isolated, where me and mine could remain hidden and unobserved for ages.

If TSHTF I'll load up the gear (and the wife an sproglett) an come say hello then! Not too far away (Southampton). Just need a trailer for all the supplies.

Plus there's some good cider out that way Wink
18 April 2012, 09:35,
I would be with BP on this one devon and cornwall, lower population, better growing climate, plenty of rivers for water, coast fairly close for longlining for fish stocks.
North wales still close to big populaces of liverpool and manchester.
Failure is NOT an option