Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Colony
18 April 2012, 22:06,
RE: Colony
Ok, so I know the areas in north Wales you are talking about and its a solid idea. My main issue would be the winters in that area are ALWAYS bad. Growing food there would be tough for the reasons already dicussed.

You can stay hidden quite easily the terrain lends itself to finding a valley with what you are looking for and disappear into it. I wasn't aware there was wild deer in Wales but as mentioned there is fish.

I would say for those of us in the midlands and north west it makes sense but as a short term solution, with a view to awaitig a settling down of the situation then making our way south to the scrumping paradise
18 April 2012, 22:44,
Deer levels are very low , mostly found in south and SW Wales , some have been moving northwards though.

Few Red , few roe , mostly fallow.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
19 April 2012, 00:13,
To be the voice of reason and no opinion would be a first for me.

Logic dicates that it would be an issue of time of year that would decide the course of best action.

I agree that the South would be a better choice for a long term solution. However, if it were late Autumn or early Winter, and the poop drops, then it would be best to get into an area that is safe, and hunker down and wait it out until a better season.

If I was still living up North in Warringotn, I'd trek over to mid Wales (Aberystwyth kind of lattitude), and wait out there over Winter. Then come mid spring, I'd make my way down to the South of Wales, and over towards Gloucester, avoiding the 2 bridges to Bristol, opting to go around the water. Then work along down south and enjoy the less aggressive winters.

If you've noticed, I've suggested it over a couple of years. The very simple reason is that, let's be fair, you don't know how long it'll take you to walk 100 miles, let alone 300 or 1000. If you average 10 miles a day, then that's still going to be a long time. If you average less than that, then fair enough it'll still take ages. The real issue is that travel will only really be viable on foot in late spring and summer. Then you have half of Autumn to hunker down and get ready for what could be a really harsh Winter.

Because we don't know the places will be passable, or where will be totally destroyed, it would be best to plan contingencies in not only courses of action, but also routes and things like that. That's another reason why I think it would be best to make contingencies and plan a long term route.

I for one, would be happy to travel up to North Wales, meet with everyone there, then join together and start the walk down south. Obviously it'll be a hell of a slog. The roads will be pretty jammed, and vehicles would be a waste. But it would still be progress in the right direction.

Oh yeah, if you can't tell by now, I don't expect roads to be passable. As one of the characters in Patriots said, "Roads are for people that like to be ambushed."
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 April 2012, 00:29,
here's an idea ?
how about groups spread all over the country where we can goto for help if we need it because i can't see kenny running all the way to wales and i can't see big paul running all the way up either.
to have a central plan with a place for us all which would be good we would need to head there well in advance before the shtf because after and we int going anywhere ?
does that make sense?
to win the war, you must be willing to die
19 April 2012, 00:44,
That makes perfect sense GOM.

I was initially thinking, we could just have 2 or more groups. But considering everyones expertise, a single colony would have a much greater chance of survival.

I think the South would be a much better long term solution though.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 April 2012, 00:54,
ah but we have the witch doctor up north lol
to win the war, you must be willing to die
19 April 2012, 08:10,
(18 April 2012, 05:10)Weyoun Wrote: IMy plan is to buy a 7.5 tonne truck and fill it ready to go.

Don't bother with a 7.5 tonner mate, get yourself a Unimog or an old 6x6 GAZ truck. They'll go anywhere, so if there is a road-block / ambush, put your foot down and plough through. Plus they look more military, so kit up and blag it. If everything's gone tits up it highly probable that no one in authority will know what the fucks going on anyway.

Some of those old Ruskie trucks will run on anything pretty much. Petrol, diesel, alcohol, ethanol, methanol etc etc.
19 April 2012, 12:34,
GOM,

Thats what the point of a UK wide comms network. Keep everyone talking and then when TSHTF you can arrange going places. It all needs to be set up and coordinated. Then you can build relationships with peoplelocal to you, if necessary move together for safety and all within a reasonable travel distance.

We can already see problems with one place for us all.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 April 2012, 12:48,
i can see one area for everybody isnt going to work,something about "not putting all your eggs in one basket"! we need one set up for everyone oop north, another one for those around the midlands and another for those down south, and maybe even ones for east and west too!! i think several groups would be a good idea, if one group gets over-run then the survivors could move onto the next area and link up with the group in that area.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 April 2012, 12:58,
and that is what we are doing by arranging meets and getting people together. Having a common BOL may come from that but then comes the next hurdle. Funding.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin