Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I use
18 April 2012, 07:27,
What I use
Natural Insectocide:- Pyrethrum
Made from the dried flower heads of the pyrethrum daisy
(Posh name, Tanacetum cinerarifolium).

Daisys are simple to grow, no special conditions although they DONT LIKE heavy clay soils. The more sun they get the stronger the bug killer will be.
When fully open, pick the flower heads. Dry, crush to dust.
Caution. Short shelf life. Store in the DARK and as COLD as possible.

Used as a contact BUG killer in some European Countries as a "duster" for bed bugs. I also sprinkle it in my bed roll each morning and shake it out at night before I climb in. No good for fleas or ticks.

Natural Flea and tick repellants include
Lemongrass, Lavender, Cedar Wood (chips), and Citronella.
Citronella candles are in my fire kit. I camped in the New Forest on a site renowned for ticks. Shaving my citronella candles down and sprinkling them in my tent kept me crawling bug free.
Tried lavender in "scented bags" stuck in bed roll and no bugs!

Diatomaceous earth from feed shops kills fleas effectively in the house.
Sprinkle round, leave a day, vacuum up.

For head lice problem wash your hair with vinegar. It will kill all the nits in two days. BUT you will need to condition your hair with oil.
Olive oil rubbed into the scalp also stops nits from clinging to the hair. It's not a killer, just stops them "sticking".
OR, Rub listerine mouth wash on your head. This will kill all the lice.
Worked a treat for sisters kids BUT had to do it every night for a week.

18 April 2012, 23:22,
RE: What I use
This is something I've been considering for a while.

I've started to stock up some Ovex, because living out in the woods for a while will probably end with people having worms. So....Ovex = no worms! No worms = happy people! Ovex = something worth stocking up! haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 April 2012, 17:27,
Dunno if this works for pin worms
but eating a cigarette every two days for a week is meant to kill off gut worms like tape worms.
We were told that it stunned the worms but not to do it everyday as the nicotine is poisonus.

Our survival medic also said drink loads of moonshine too.
We all kinda liked that option and followed this bit of advice enthusiastically.
No one on the course got worms. Just VERY bad headaches.

19 April 2012, 17:46,
(19 April 2012, 17:27)Paul Wrote: Dunno if this works for pin worms
but eating a cigarette every two days for a week is meant to kill off gut worms like tape worms.
We were told that it stunned the worms but not to do it everyday as the nicotine is poisonus.

Our survival medic also said drink loads of moonshine too.
We all kinda liked that option and followed this bit of advice enthusiastically.
No one on the course got worms. Just VERY bad headaches.

Yeah, I'll stay away from the eating a fag thing. I learned (through a Jolly guy called Roger, who had a cook book) just how little nicotine would be needed to kill a person. It's shockingly easy to extract from cigarettes as well!!! I'm steering clear of them.

As for the moonshine thing....I'm kind of keen on keeping my senses intact! haha.

I'll stick to the Ovex. But for drinkers and smokers, you have an effective, albeit possibly deadly, cure haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 April 2012, 18:49,
Scythe13
I went into my copy of Where there are no doctors. and found this.

GARLIC
A drink made from garlic may help get rid of pinworms.
Chop finely, or crush, 4 cloves of garlic and mix with 1 glass
of liquid (water, juice, or milk).
Dosage: Drink 1 glass daily for 3 weeks.

Still prefer the booze method though.

If you haven't got this booklet Scythe13, give us a pm and I'll email the pdf to you.

Paul