Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Good day to you, fellow Doomsday Dodgers
21 April 2012, 21:15,
RE: A Good day to you, fellow Doomsday Dodgers
Welcome to the forums Tonka.

Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
21 April 2012, 23:18,
omgisthecoldwarreallyover? I am still sitting at the end of my bed with my decontamination kit! Damn....
21 April 2012, 23:28,
Hi, welcome to the forum.

What brings you to this forum? What's the main thing you're worried about?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 April 2012, 23:31, (This post was last modified: 21 April 2012, 23:54 by Tonka.)
(21 April 2012, 23:18)Timelord Wrote: omgisthecoldwarreallyover? I am still sitting at the end of my bed with my decontamination kit! Damn....

It's OK, you don't have to 'duck and cover' any more!
I do still have my contamination kit in the loft. I wish I hadn't broken my geiger counter though, they cost a fortune these days.
(21 April 2012, 23:28)Scythe13 Wrote: Hi, welcome to the forum.

What brings you to this forum? What's the main thing you're worried about?

That is a good question. I’m not worried so much, as aware, and want to be ready. I wasn’t really phased by the recent fuel shortage scares. The only thing I made sure I had enough of is food for the baby.

There are so many things that threaten our way of life. We are very vulnerable. Just a simple short time while without electricity, causing no water pumps, and everything turns nasty real fast.

So I’m concerned about everything from short term disruption to utilities, up to global mass extinction events really.

The first is a definite (probably multiply times) in my life time. And one of the more extreme events is a bit overdue now, so I’m not sure if it will be in my life time, but if it is I don’t intend to lie down and let the cephalopods evolve to replace my evolutionary niche without a fight!

However, apart from my friends I see at the Rat & Survival bike rally, people just think I’m a bit kooky. Well, I suppose I am in many ways, but in this respect I think I am just being realistic.

So I came here wanting to learn from like-minded people I suppose. And possibly I might even be able to help some out in return.
22 April 2012, 11:33,
(21 April 2012, 23:31)Tonka Wrote: I came here wanting to learn from like-minded people I suppose. And possibly I might even be able to help some out in return.

The very attitude that we want and I hope everyone who comes here has. It is certainly my attitude as well.

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 April 2012, 15:12, (This post was last modified: 22 April 2012, 15:13 by Scythe13.)
(22 April 2012, 11:33)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(21 April 2012, 23:31)Tonka Wrote: I came here wanting to learn from like-minded people I suppose. And possibly I might even be able to help some out in return.
The very attitude that we want and I hope everyone who comes here has. It is certainly my attitude as well.

Daily learning has helped me go from knowing very little to the massive ability of "I've caught up with the Scout troup I lead" haha. But of what I have, I hope to increase it and become better. You're in good hands here.
Before I forget, jump in at the deepend. WnC is running a competition about making bread outdoors. Have a go if you want. It's all good fun.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 April 2012, 16:06,
Welcome Tonka, Glad you've found the site. I know Portchester very well and have been in the Castle many times. I was born in Portsmouth and lived there for thirty years. I still have a sister in the City and she is 91 and, another sister in Southampton who is 92. I can't get down to visit as my wife has some health problems. Fortunately she is feeling somewhat better at the moment. Maybe I will manage a visit sometime in the future and perhaps we could meet up for a chat. Kenneth Eames.
24 April 2012, 21:18,
(23 April 2012, 16:06)Kenneth Eames Wrote: Maybe I will manage a visit sometime in the future and perhaps we could meet up for a chat. Kenneth Eames.

Of course. When you are next heading this way, PM me a bit in advance and I'll put the kettle on.

This is brief as I'm fiddling about trying to send this from my phone.
24 April 2012, 21:46,
Ey up matey, welcome.
You have to get up early to catch a fox.
25 April 2012, 14:02,
Welcome Tonka, and hello from me Wink
“From now on it is only through a conscious choice and through a deliberate policy that humanity can survive.”
Pope John Paul II