Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY Water Filter Activated Charcoal
23 April 2012, 19:26, (This post was last modified: 23 April 2012, 19:26 by Nemesis.)
DIY Water Filter Activated Charcoal
Ok this took all of ten minutes, a video to follow with more information, like what was used and so on, be about 20 mins.

[Image: jGo4HO3QypKZRAMj4efC88oQ.jpg]

[Image: TbsaCK9OOclZXiJn5LuK1WMWd.jpg]

[Image: f93udIVy8xnkm9qrfdlvGxoGa.jpg]

[Image: xslnkMT7AifNX0pHVL3CJBOO8.jpg]

[Image: eB5nqPC3DHllvWqS3BHkZju9U.jpg]

[Image: njXdSrVpfvmB4tSVgLGqYbEq.jpg]

[Image: qmUAY8956MIthCvqKYeOpYXcA.jpg]

[Image: 6TE55BYMpEFvDvtE01umQIfDp.jpg]

[Image: ZjyiHPov3H8pM6wRIbJ31qsyN.jpg]

[Image: PD03mZqxJTZEDw6pU1SZ7kf0.jpg]

[Image: XhD8kZEcYpzuSEtOLOrFMcd0A.jpg]

23 April 2012, 19:33,
RE: DIY Water Filter Activated Charcoal
I like that! Like it alot! Thanks! Smile
23 April 2012, 19:35, (This post was last modified: 23 April 2012, 19:36 by NorthernRaider.)
Point of note chaps, Activated charcoal used in projects like these will absorb toxins, metals, chemicals etc until they reach saturation, then they very frequently dump everything they have filtered out back into the water system so regular changes of Activated Carbon, Zeolite etc is highly reccomended.
BTW the Charcoal doesnt get into all sorts of nasty places if you put it into pieces of nylon tights or stocking or popsocks

23 April 2012, 19:54, (This post was last modified: 23 April 2012, 19:58 by Nemesis.)

(23 April 2012, 19:35)NorthernRaider Wrote: Point of note chaps, Activated charcoal used in projects like these will absorb toxins, metals, chemicals etc until they reach saturation, then they very frequently dump everything they have filtered out back into the water system so regular changes of Activated Carbon, Zeolite etc is highly reccomended.
BTW the Charcoal doesnt get into all sorts of nasty places if you put it into pieces of nylon tights or stocking or popsocks

I wonder how long we should wait before we change these over? 100+ litre would be nice.
23 April 2012, 21:26,
Nice!
23 April 2012, 23:19,
Great timing WnC been wondering how I could filter the water that goes in to the water butt that I haven't actually got yet Rolleyes the delay on buying one is space on my balcony.
The guttering must be broken on the roof coz when it rains it pours down onto the left side, been trying to think of the best way to catch it without taking up to much space, been toying with the idea of cementing guttering around the top of the walls then feeding it into smaller containers like 5ltr juice bottles that we use at work, was thinking I could hang them neatly round the walls and feed the water in to them but haven't quite worked out how yet.
24 April 2012, 02:13,
Well a bit of an update The flow rate is quite slow, ok for few people but not really good for a group, I know that the slower the rate the more crap is caught but I need to turn this up a notch, I think maybe remove either the blue fine sponge or the top black charcoal filter.

Also it seems 20/30 gallons is the cut off point for the filters let’s just says 100 litres, this is still unconfirmed so any help here would be welcomed.
24 April 2012, 11:38,
The best filters are slow. You want to give the water time in contact with the carbon. Best to accept it and either do more than one in parallel or keep it going for a while and stock up on the filtered stuff. I've gone for a slow single point and a largish tank.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 April 2012, 14:48,
(24 April 2012, 11:38)Skean Dhude Wrote: The best filters are slow. You want to give the water time in contact with the carbon. Best to accept it and either do more than one in parallel or keep it going for a while and stock up on the filtered stuff. I've gone for a slow single point and a largish tank.

When I get the farm running I will do a real time test and see the flow rate per hour, then decide what to remove or what not to.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ