Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Woodland Free Food
29 April 2012, 12:02,
RE: Woodland Free Food
(29 April 2012, 10:08)bigpaul Wrote: if you look at some of the native cultures still left, you will find they only spend part of their time hunting/gathering....with quite small hunting parties too....the rest of the time is spent in their village, they make weapons, they prepare and dry food, they have art........they also have lots of kids so they must have lots of time for sex as wellTongue dont sound too bad does it??Big Grin

SOLD!!!! Where do I sign up?

Everything I found was within 50 meters of my camp. There was SOOOOO much of everything out there, I can see why they have plenty of 'sexy-time'. Anyone saying the hunter gatherers spend most of their time hunting and gathering will be raising suspicions with me from now on.

I want to know whether people that say that are speaking from personal experience, from other people's supposed experience, or from out of their.....you know what. I went into it believing it was going to be really hard. Considering I picked up a book, read for 1 hour, but then reread for about another 30 minutes, and found enough to eat for a good while, I think someone with better knowledge would have been laughing at those saying it was difficult. Also, if you're willing to eat worms and that kind of thing, you'd be able to eat for sooooo long!

WTSHTF, during spring and summer, my stores are not going to be touched! I'm going ferral!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 April 2012, 12:23,
Food is and always will be available in wild areas, we are designed to eat the world around us Smile

The only real problem in Britian and most first world countries is that we have destroyed most of the wild. Scotland used to covered in forests until we destroyed them for sheep farming haha.

I think you need to just learn enough and keep on learning (safely) and you will be fine. Also if you pack some packs of seeds in you BOB for long term you could have food for following years.

I expect the morebyou practice all these skills and living off the land you will have lots of your beliefs of the world challenged and you might have to re think things. During WW2 most families could provide for them selves out of their garden Wink
Failure is always an option.
29 April 2012, 17:27,
You went to a woodland and found grass ,nettles and fennel and you now seem to think you can feed yourself from the wild.Go for it for you will surely be leaving proper food for me and then you will die quickly and leave even the grass for me.

You are so far into the wrong mentality that you can't even see how silly you sound.

I found grass and nettles also some dandelions which I didn't eat much of ,so now I can live off the land and anyone who says it's hard is wrong.
Tell me what did you eat to sustain yourself for 24 hrs.what will you do in winter when there is only grass about?
You are just light entertainment mate,sooner you realise it the more you will learn.
29 April 2012, 17:49,
Thanks for checking the pictures with the deer g79, and the cows, and reading the whole thing I wrote about how simple it is to dig up worms for protein. Pound for pound they have over double the protein of a chicken breast! Pretty crazy hu?

I also thank you for missing the part that said I knew I still had a lot to learn.

The fact of the matter is that from less than 2 hours of reading, I was able to find enough food in an abundance.

Oh, and the part saying I was going to learn more, and study more, and build a good foundation, and practice each month for each season. Thanks for missing those bits out too.

You said to go out and find food. I did. From a small book that had limited data, I was still able to find food all within 50 meters of my camp.

A person can go 30 days without food. By adding things like nettles, dandelions, grass (it's only going to make you less hungry grass), fennel, stickyweed, you'll be punching that to at least double. Then add in things like worms, ants, crickets, for protein, you'll be looking at more like 100 days, at least. But by that time, you would have read more than 2 hours of the book (I'm a VERY slow reader anyway) so you'd be pretty well set to survive in the wild. Plus traps and things like that.

If you're going to focus on the negative parts instead of the positive, please feel free not to comment on my posts. If you're going to be helpful, then please comment. If you're going to be negative for no reason, then feel free to PM me abuse and things like that. Personal issues should be kept to PMs. The forum is for helpful information, such as....You can eat nettles, dead nettles, and stickyweed if you cook them. Overall you'll get a good mix of amino acids and vitamins. In the area where I was, there are deer and cattle that are available to catch.......etc.
29 April 2012, 17:58,
(29 April 2012, 17:27)g79 Wrote: You went to a woodland and found grass ,nettles and fennel and you now seem to think you can feed yourself from the wild.Go for it for you will surely be leaving proper food for me and then you will die quickly and leave even the grass for me.

You are so far into the wrong mentality that you can't even see how silly you sound.

I found grass and nettles also some dandelions which I didn't eat much of ,so now I can live off the land and anyone who says it's hard is wrong.
Tell me what did you eat to sustain yourself for 24 hrs.what will you do in winter when there is only grass about?
You are just light entertainment mate,sooner you realise it the more you will learn.

I agree he has not had a wakeup call I would like if this thread did not have another meaning, the fact is no one on this board is showing they can survive a winter in the UK (Including myself) there is a lot of talk about it, light weight bobs and all chatter about past wars people did it so we can do it as well, the bit missed out so many died along the snowy roads and fields I mean the German army was stopped by cold weather, and they had supplies and even resupply although lack off.

These posters that claim they can live out of a light weight BOB have you done it yet or is it just chat, if you have do a write up and teach us how you survived cold UK winters.

That said I like what Scythe did I just would have liked if it was not in response to your comments made in another thread and to prove a point which cannot be proved overnight and not until done through all seasons.

He is definitely heading in the right direction and that being reading and putting in to practice, this I know through PMs, so fair play to him, atleast I got my kids working on wild foods now.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
29 April 2012, 18:01,
With the UL BOB's that's on my to do list haha. Granted it's got a long time to go with that as well, but it's a working progress, same as all things with prepping.
29 April 2012, 18:16,
(29 April 2012, 18:01)Scythe13 Wrote: With the UL BOB's that's on my to do list haha. Granted it's got a long time to go with that as well, but it's a working progress, same as all things with prepping.

Problem with UL BOB is they are by design only good for mild/warm weather, I myself feel a bob the main bob must be based around winter survival and that just cannot be light weight, to many what ifs, so if we are only talking UL BOB for mild to warm weather then hell I have like 10 of those used often.
29 April 2012, 18:23,
(29 April 2012, 18:16)WetandCold Wrote: Problem with UL BOB is they are by design only good for mild/warm weather, I myself feel a bob the main bob must be based around winter survival and that just cannot be light weight, to many what ifs, so if we are only talking UL BOB for mild to warm weather then hell I have like 10 of those used often.

Fair comment.

This winter (yeah, it's a long time away, but that gives me time to plan and practice/experiment) I plan on going out with a couple of people and trying my UL-BOB. They'll hopefully be going normal winter camping, but I hope to try out a UL system and seeing how that goes. It it screws up, I'll be jumping into someone else's tent! haha Either that, or I'll have the car and will make sure there's a spare battery and a heater in it.

Safety first.
29 April 2012, 19:06,
This is not about just going to the woods with few mates and lying in a warmish bag, it is about “what ifs” and how you deal with them, and in many case even if you/us could deal with them.

You see one thing becomes two and two becomes four and so on Scythe, I hope you understand I am not in argument with you, just don't see logic in your thinking and how it would hold foundation as an example of survival when a mate makes a fire for you to use if need be for example.

I linked you affordable gear few hundred pounds and your be good to go, learn winter with all the kit I linked and then year after get your UL BOB built. (I do understand its army gear but it is cheap and better or on par with the named brands)

I most definitely won't acknowledge you going woods and camping night with UL BOB and a backup team or truck as a valid test of said BOB.

29 April 2012, 19:47,
I think the bit about past wars was saying that some people at the time went out and found wild foods to supplement their intake - not that they survived on wild foods. The armies and their food supply chains is a different point entirely.

One persons BOB is different to anothers. This crops up no end on the threads. It may not be the actual weight or size of BOB that is the factor for the individual - more the degree to which the kit carried is of a minimalist lightweight design and also maybe carrying of one item that can do multiple tasks instead of the seperate individual ones. Therefore a person who is carrying say a full 60litre pack of winter gear + supplies may view this as their version of a lightweight BOB when compared with what the whole outfit would weigh if the individual items had not been carefully selected for less bulk & weight. Also, some peoples BOB's are for a never coming back scenario, carry all necessities role, whereas some peoples are for just surviving a few days till they reach a BOL.

For a challenge entries endevours to be comparable to another entrant and our own perceptions, then it would help if some level & spec of kit was specified. Then hopefully we will not be so easily in disagreement over what does and what does not constitute playing by the rules in our own individual opinions.

Maybe this is useful or not, I do wonder :-)