Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Woodland Free Food
29 April 2012, 20:04,
RE: Woodland Free Food
Posts about challenges should probably have a small brief explaining the gear they have and what they set out to do. Like with S13 it seems like he was just testing to see how hard it was to survive a few days only with wild food. For his lack of foraging skills for a first try, it seems he did well. Q

That is not to say it was something that could scale up for longer times but that didnt seem to be the scope of this challenge. Something will be almost untestable until a proper situation arises.

Best thing to do would be set a scope and explain your experience, anyone commenting critizism should be constructive with it not just negitive.
Failure is always an option.
29 April 2012, 20:05,
[Image: 9vWSZNgfrZR7Zubvnlxsr4Ot.jpg]

[Image: Zn9Y5OO6Qf6YJkwbFDaJBqzNc.jpg]

Few miles away:

[Image: l6D6AAImK5nTI0O0V3UXJM5Cj.jpg]

[Image: Cta3nnahHaW85InZeuMWZ6mZF.jpg]

Winter shot:

[Image: 55gjxr4ethMfJ1FRZL2K4PYwO.jpg]
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
29 April 2012, 22:11,
That's a fair point WnC. Even if it does tease me and my board :-(

But then any prepper in that place would have the same problem finding food.

As for the UL-BOB and kit, the reason I said about camping with mates was just as a safety incase the system I was trying was not good enough. They wouldn't be making fires and things like that for me. They would be the security blanket if something went wrong. Using that principle allows the kit to be tested in the outdoors, while minimising the risk to your life.

Say if we went out in the woods in winter WnC. You'd have your fire and your stuff, while I'd be using my UL kit and seeing how that fared. If it failed and I got too cold, I'd have the ability to come into the tent and have a heavy winter sleeping bag, loads of hand warmers, and hot chocolate, to stop me freezing to death. Then it's a case of see where I sent wrong, see where the kit failed, then working out where I could improve my system.

That way it's a test of the kit in the outside world, in as near to a survival situation that I'd be happy to trial with an untested kit.

In regards to winter food gathering, when AlyBear and I went into the woods camping last winter, she had a go looking for food, but was heavily concentrating on mushrooms. No question it's 100 times harder to find food in the winter! But that's even more reason to get out there and practice more! If it's hard to do, then more practice is required (as my Dad always used to tell me).
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 April 2012, 22:59,
Just had a though, I have been going wood land bush craft for about 3 years now, (still a baby at it) where I live is miles of farm land, so cultivated land equal lack of wild plants and so on, so I don't have any experience of survival in real wood lands due to my location.

The only one real woods I have near me is like a dead forest and again it is off farmed land, only it is quite big, I have said before about this as I can push the trees over quite easy.

It would be intresting to go somewhere away from farms.
29 April 2012, 23:31,
is there any reason a bug out vehicle isnt mentioned i am of the opinion that a moving base with as much as poss on board would be what you need .
i have a diesel 4x4 for that purpose it will go anywhere and provide a safer enviroment for my family if we need to leave our location .
i cant see why you would want a bag when you can have a boot full ?
and if the law doesnt matter who cares what you drive over or into to get where you need ?
29 April 2012, 23:42,
It was a specific challenge Scythe was undertaking, not a general bug out scenario.
30 April 2012, 00:04,
The challenge is about Scythe managing to find enough food over a 24 hour period.

My discussion with Scythe is about UL BOB, which came about because it just fitted in with this thread.

I think and hope it is healthy argument, and no ego from either of us, we both admitted to being new to bush craft, so feel free to correct us all you experts.

I want to make something clear to members here, just because I post a lot does not mean I think I know it all, I am not a know all poster I just want to learn and this UL BOB interests me.
30 April 2012, 08:53,
Is there a thread for the UL bug out bag or do I post here?
30 April 2012, 09:35,
(30 April 2012, 08:53)g79 Wrote: Is there a thread for the UL bug out bag or do I post here?

Here would be the place; "UL BOB Winter" is the question.
30 April 2012, 09:44,
(29 April 2012, 23:31)Familyguy Wrote: is there any reason a bug out vehicle isnt mentioned i am of the opinion that a moving base with as much as poss on board would be what you need .
i have a diesel 4x4 for that purpose it will go anywhere and provide a safer enviroment for my family if we need to leave our location .
i cant see why you would want a bag when you can have a boot full ?
and if the law doesnt matter who cares what you drive over or into to get where you need ?
there may come a time when something happens to seperate you from your BOV, you can grab a BOB and start running!(you may not have time to grab anything else-i.e. NOT in a BOB!)Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.