Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Woodland Free Food
30 April 2012, 10:08,
RE: Woodland Free Food
Here is a list of what I have in my outdoor kit for extended stays outdoors in winter.
Shelter.
Tarp
IPK groundsheet
4 season down sleeping bag
bivi bag
This kit will allow me to set up anywhere and in temperatures down to -20 and with a fire ,quite a bit lower.

Warmth and cooking.

For fire lighting I carry a fire steel and as a smoker I always have a bic lighter on my person(I have numerous bics all through my pack)
Tindercard

For cooking I carry an MSR titan kettle and an MSR titan mug.
The kettle is really an 850ml pot with lid and is big enough for a good meal.
the mug is big enough for a brew and can also be placed in a fire to boil water while food is cooking in the other pot.Both will also fit nicely on the liquid gas stove I carry for emergencies or when I can't be arsed to light a fire.A 250g gas canister will last a month if used for emergencies only.
I have a folding spork and my general use knife.
I'll go into food later.

Clothing.

I carry a set of waterproofs,gaiters and hat and gloves.
The rest is normal everyday clothing.

I carry a trapping kit consisting of a few snares,fishhooks ,fishing line and some small lead shot.

I carry a wash kit and a shaving kit

First aid kit

I carry a collapsible 1 litre water bottle and a water filter.

I really can't see the need for anything else.This kit weighs in the region of 10-12 lbs and will get heavier depending on the amount of food I take.

If you think There's something I'm not carrying that I should ,tell me and I'll explain why I don't need it(this doesn't mean that you won't need it)

30 April 2012, 11:55,
(30 April 2012, 10:08)g79 Wrote: Here is a list of what I have in my outdoor kit for extended stays outdoors in winter.
Shelter.
Tarp
IPK groundsheet
bivi bag
This kit will allow me to set up anywhere and in temperatures down to -20 and with a fire ,quite a bit lower.

Warmth and cooking.

For fire lighting I carry a fire steel and as a smoker I always have a bic lighter on my person(I have numerous bics all through my pack)
Tindercard

the mug is big enough for a brew and can also be placed in a fire to boil water while food is cooking in the other pot.Both will also fit nicely on the liquid gas stove I carry for emergencies or when I can't be arsed to light a fire.A 250g gas canister will last a month if used for emergencies only.
I'll go into food later.

Clothing.

I carry a trapping kit consisting of a few snares,fishhooks ,fishing line and some small lead shot.

First aid kit

I really can't see the need for anything else.This kit weighs in the region of 10-12 lbs and will get heavier depending on the amount of food I take.

If you think There's something I'm not carrying that I should ,tell me and I'll explain why I don't need it(this doesn't mean that you won't need it)

This is normal gear although quite vague list, your sleeping gear is on par with mine but then I did show that in this thread, I don't see a mention of your dry gear or extra items like socks drybag and such, interested to know what boots you wear and lighting you use, fishing line do they really work I have heard they are waste of time, then again I have only heard this as I don't fish, what fish do you catch with this setup and what bait.

What water filter are you using, you carry 1 litre of water you are good, you must spend the day purifying water, I myself need like 2 litre sometimes more an hour when tasking in snow, tend to sweat a lot and all that when it’s cold, most people lose a lot of water that way when snowy

Snares how many is a few, just interested on your ratio of rabbit/squirrel per snare trap.

I could go on but then again I am not qualified like some and I would take the kitchen if I could.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
30 April 2012, 12:09,
This is fun!

What was once negative has become positive!

I agree with WnC about waterloss. My BOB has 2x1litre bottles. One normally has juice the other is just water. However, when snowboarding I go through a 3 litre CamalBak without even realising how quick it's gone.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 April 2012, 12:26, (This post was last modified: 30 April 2012, 12:28 by g79.)
(29 April 2012, 12:02)Scythe13 Wrote:
(29 April 2012, 10:08)bigpaul Wrote: if you look at some of the native cultures still left, you will find they only spend part of their time hunting/gathering....with quite small hunting parties too....the rest of the time is spent in their village, they make weapons, they prepare and dry food, they have art........they also have lots of kids so they must have lots of time for sex as wellTongue dont sound too bad does it??Big Grin

SOLD!!!! Where do I sign up?

Everything I found was within 50 meters of my camp. There was SOOOOO much of everything out there, I can see why they have plenty of 'sexy-time'. Anyone saying the hunter gatherers spend most of their time hunting and gathering will be raising suspicions with me from now on.

I want to know whether people that say that are speaking from personal experience, from other people's supposed experience, or from out of their.....you know what. I went into it believing it was going to be really hard. Considering I picked up a book, read for 1 hour, but then reread for about another 30 minutes, and found enough to eat for a good while, I think someone with better knowledge would have been laughing at those saying it was difficult. Also, if you're willing to eat worms and that kind of thing, you'd be able to eat for sooooo long!

WTSHTF, during spring and summer, my stores are not going to be touched! I'm going ferral!

(30 April 2012, 11:55)WetandCold Wrote:
(30 April 2012, 10:08)g79 Wrote: Here is a list of what I have in my outdoor kit for extended stays outdoors in winter.
Shelter.
Tarp
IPK groundsheet
bivi bag

Warmth and cooking.

Tindercard

I'll go into food later.

Clothing.

First aid kit

This is normal gear although quite vague list, your sleeping gear is on par with mine but then I did show that in this thread, I don't see a mention of your dry gear or extra items like socks drybag and such, interested to know what boots you wear and lighting you use, fishing line do they really work I have heard they are waste of time, then again I have only heard this as I don't fish, what fish do you catch with this setup and what bait.

What water filter are you using, you carry 1 litre of water you are good, you must spend the day purifying water, I myself need like 2 litre sometimes more an hour when tasking in snow, tend to sweat a lot and all that when it’s cold, most people lose a lot of water that way when snowy

Snares how many is a few, just interested on your ratio of rabbit/squirrel per snare trap.

I could go on but then again I am not qualified like some and I would take the kitchen if I could.

I don't carry spare clothes,I have waterproofs for that.
My boots are a pair of leather walking boots
For lighting I have a small head light

Fishing does work,thats why it's the biggest participatory sport in the country.All you need to do is present the baited hook to the fish,they don't care what else you have.I fish generally for eels.High calorific value (higher than steak or salmon) and difficult not to catch.Best bait is earthworm

I use a katadyn hiker water filter,google it.Been using it for years

I carry 6 ready made snares and a reel of snare wire along with paracord to fasten them to stakes.The ratio of prey to snare is very low ,over a 6 day set I may be lucky and get 2.Thats the equivalent of 36 traps in one day gaining 2 catches.

If you have a specific question ,can you ask them one at a time so I can give a full answer?
When I have some free time tonight I will put up a detailed list giving reasons why I carry things and why I don't carry others.
30 April 2012, 12:44,
(30 April 2012, 12:26)g79 Wrote:
(29 April 2012, 12:02)Scythe13 Wrote:
(29 April 2012, 10:08)bigpaul Wrote: if you look at some of the native cultures still left, you will find they only spend part of their time hunting/gathering....with quite small hunting parties too....the rest of the time is spent in their village, they make weapons, they prepare and dry food, they have art........they also have lots of kids so they must have lots of time for sex as wellTongue dont sound too bad does it??Big Grin

SOLD!!!! Where do I sign up?

Everything I found was within 50 meters of my camp. There was SOOOOO much of everything out there, I can see why they have plenty of 'sexy-time'. Anyone saying the hunter gatherers spend most of their time hunting and gathering will be raising suspicions with me from now on.

I want to know whether people that say that are speaking from personal experience, from other people's supposed experience, or from out of their.....you know what. I went into it believing it was going to be really hard. Considering I picked up a book, read for 1 hour, but then reread for about another 30 minutes, and found enough to eat for a good while, I think someone with better knowledge would have been laughing at those saying it was difficult. Also, if you're willing to eat worms and that kind of thing, you'd be able to eat for sooooo long!

WTSHTF, during spring and summer, my stores are not going to be touched! I'm going ferral!

(30 April 2012, 11:55)WetandCold Wrote:
Shelter.
Tarp
IPK groundsheet
bivi bag

Warmth and cooking.

Tindercard

I'll go into food later.

Clothing.

First aid kit

I don't carry spare clothes,I have waterproofs for that.
My boots are a pair of leather walking boots
For lighting I have a small head light

Fishing does work,thats why it's the biggest participatory sport in the country.All you need to do is present the baited hook to the fish,they don't care what else you have.I fish generally for eels.High calorific value (higher than steak or salmon) and difficult not to catch.Best bait is earthworm

I use a katadyn hiker water filter,google it.Been using it for years

I carry 6 ready made snares and a reel of snare wire along with paracord to fasten them to stakes.The ratio of prey to snare is very low ,over a 6 day set I may be lucky and get 2.Thats the equivalent of 36 traps in one day gaining 2 catches.

If you have a specific question ,can you ask them one at a time so I can give a full answer?
When I have some free time tonight I will put up a detailed list giving reasons why I carry things and why I don't carry others.

Whenever you get time it would be welcomed I will look up this katadyn hiker water filter, when I get back. (off for a run)

The survival fishing line is a good thing then, can't always go by what you read I don't have any fishing rivers near the woods I go but there is a duck lake about 5 miles from my home.

There is a big man made pond, quite a few in fact they have crayfish in them, not sure but surely cray fish would hunt fish, or how would they survive, but I have never seen any fish even tiny ones in the ponds.

My son catches them by hand:

[Image: vwbX7REwefcBcy0nNYfo9Y4EU.jpg]
30 April 2012, 14:59,

Just curious,
What does your BOB weigh in at and how bigs the pack (litres)?

Like I said, just curious.

30 April 2012, 15:18,
The kit weigh about 10-12lbs ,it goes up and down a little depending on season.I use a lighter sleepingbag in the summer.
It all fits nicely into a 30 litre bag with room to spare,If I don't take any sleeping kit then all my kit will fit into a 10 litre PLCE pocket easily,this is what I take on daywalks.
30 April 2012, 20:19,
Interesting. Some good info coming out now :-)
30 April 2012, 21:02,
(30 April 2012, 20:19)Timelord Wrote: Interesting. Some good info coming out now :-)

Isn’t it just.

Something I can't figure out and would love to learn is g97 said

Quote:

I don't carry spare clothes, I have waterproofs for that.

Unquote.

Well that’s all well and good if your fast enough to get the water proofs on in time, but how on earth do you stop body sweet even with wicking gear and I do have good wicking gear I sweet, how do we stop the water coming from inside out, what am I doing wrong? I do strip and air dry, but that after time is never enough, starting to consider I might be over dressing from the get go.

Sometimes putting water proofs on increases the amount of water on under clothes.

I must add I am not a sweater by nature, just snow/cold and work for me I build up a sweat.
1 May 2012, 07:58,
In the first post I said I spend time in the outdoors as a hobby.You are thinking that I'm bugging out,I'm not.I'm happy to stay in the same clothes for a few days and if I get to wet to enjoy myself ,I'll go home.
Also ,I'm often in shorts and T shirt so if there is a very heavy down pour it doesn't take long to strip completely.I am generally in one spot for a camp with a large tarp set up so I can always stand or sit under it while it rains.
You have to bear in mind I'm not hiding or running from anyone in a bug out situation so I don't have to move in the rain.I'm there as a hobby and a break from reality so the rules that seem to apply to being a suvivalist and running and hiding don't apply.

In real terms ,I suppose I'm a sweaty smelly object in the woods, but I have a good time.And a shower when I get home.