• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Woodland Free Food
1 May 2012, 09:11,
RE: Woodland Free Food
My sleeping bag is one I had made to my specs here:-

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/

My bivi bag is a "highlander hawk" from here:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003BBTX8U/re...B003BBTX8U

They both do exactly the job I want and have small pack size and weight.
1 May 2012, 09:15, (This post was last modified: 1 May 2012, 09:23 by bigpaul.)
Blimet G79! you must have deep pockets, most of us can even start to pay that price for a sleeping bag!
this is what i've got, Outwell camper lux sleeping bag £48.99!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 May 2012, 11:07,
(30 April 2012, 09:35)WetandCold Wrote:
(30 April 2012, 08:53)g79 Wrote: Is there a thread for the UL bug out bag or do I post here?

Here would be the place; "UL BOB Winter" is the question.

(1 May 2012, 07:58)g79 Wrote: In the first post I said I spend time in the outdoors as a hobby.You are thinking that I'm bugging out,I'm not.I'm happy to stay in the same clothes for a few days and if I get to wet to enjoy myself ,I'll go home.
Also ,I'm often in shorts and T shirt so if there is a very heavy down pour it doesn't take long to strip completely.I am generally in one spot for a camp with a large tarp set up so I can always stand or sit under it while it rains.
You have to bear in mind I'm not hiding or running from anyone in a bug out situation so I don't have to move in the rain.I'm there as a hobby and a break from reality so the rules that seem to apply to being a suvivalist and running and hiding don't apply.

In real terms ,I suppose I'm a sweaty smelly object in the woods, but I have a good time.And a shower when I get home.

Sorry I did not think of this as a bugging out I just remember saying to you that this was "winter" UL BOB.

Ok so in the mild weather it is then no problem I mean bloody hell if that’s the case UL BOB equal pair of Y fronts left over pizza and a can of soda and good to go.

I was taken aback by your lack of winter gear g97 thanks for explaining.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
1 May 2012, 11:57, (This post was last modified: 1 May 2012, 12:07 by g79.)
In winter the main difference in my kit is clothing,I just wear warmer clothes,the same still stands about lack of spare clothing.I just stay under cover or wear waterproofs.
Blimet G79! you must have deep pockets, most of us can even start to pay that price for a sleeping bag!

Not deep pockets,empty ones.I try to buy kit that does the job, there's nothing worse than an important bit of kit failing.If I take kit into the outdoors it's because I need it,I don't want to be wondering if it will fail and I certainly don't want it to fail.
One of the things I am happy to spend on is sleeping kit,if you have a bad nights sleep you will have a bad day too.

If your dossbag suits you and your happy with it then it's as good as mine because it does what you want it to.
There is kit I have bought and paid a fortune for that I wasn't comfortable with so it was moved on.
My bivibag is possibly one of the cheapest of its type.It keeps the wind off,it keeps my dossbag dry and it packs up small and light.I could have paid hundreds for one that does the same thing but why?If it works ,it works.

There are kit queens out there who have to have the most expensive brand names,I like some of it but don't see the point in paying lots for something when a cheaper item does exactly the same thing.
I have a titanium mug for drinking that costs over £30 because it will sit in a fire or on a stove,when the £1 plastic ones can do the same ,I'll get one.
My tarp is a standard DD 3x4 it's huge and waterproof,I could pay hundreds for the latest cuben fibre tarp but they don't come in the size or colour I want.
I try to rely on my ability to get by outdoors,that's the whole purpose of me being there.
1 May 2012, 12:48,
(1 May 2012, 11:57)g79 Wrote: In winter the main difference in my kit is clothing,I just wear warmer clothes,the same still stands about lack of spare clothing.I just stay under cover or wear waterproofs.

But your need to do your snares and hunt and then gather water which would be quite often, also I find in winter just laying down can get quite cold, help me out here can you give me a lesson you know when you wake up cold the fire gone out and your just cold what do you do to combat that? Do you just pack up and go home or like face it?

Do you know how to keep yourself awake in the woods?

Your water filter is interesting would like to know how you find its performance in really cold winter snow/ice an all that, like how long you had it.
1 May 2012, 13:42,
Snares, you only need to check a trap line once a day , if it's raining I put on my waterproofs.
I don't just lay down during the days,I gather firewood.That will keep you warm.I don't wake up cold,ever, that's why I spend on sleeping equipment.If you wake up cold your kit is not suitable to the purpose you put it.
If you build a fire well you can keep it smouldering all night while you sleep,in the morning add some fresh fuel and some air ,then your fire will be roaring away again in minutes.

Why would I want to keep myself awake in the woods?When it gets dark and I've eaten I go to sleep.That's what I do at night if I have nothing else to do.

Water,I assume you've googled the water filter?

It filters and purifys the water at about 1 litre per minute,it works very well even in icy water.It won't filter ice but you can melt ice on the fire first.I've had if for at least 20 years(it was made by pur originally ) and the filter gets replaced every year regardless of how much water has gone through it.The filter is basically a pump that pumps water through a carbon and paper filter.

Are you just picking holes in what I do or are you fishing for something else.

So far there have been some questions (not just from you) that are so obviously designed to identify me that it beggars belief .Do you think I am someone you recognise?
1 May 2012, 14:13,
(1 May 2012, 13:42)g79 Wrote: Snares, you only need to check a trap line once a day , if it's raining I put on my waterproofs.
I don't just lay down during the days,I gather firewood.That will keep you warm.I don't wake up cold,ever, that's why I spend on sleeping equipment.If you wake up cold your kit is not suitable to the purpose you put it.
If you build a fire well you can keep it smouldering all night while you sleep,in the morning add some fresh fuel and some air ,then your fire will be roaring away again in minutes.

WnC REPLY: If it snows very hard or even heavy rain and you lose your smoulders, or you condensate to much in your bag even just getting out of bag to climate can be a bit shivery, I myself find the best way to compensate this with star jumps or just movement, I was interested in your opinion on how you do it.

Why would I want to keep myself awake in the woods?When it gets dark and I've eaten I go to sleep.That's what I do at night if I have nothing else to do.

WnC REPLY: if you got in to an accident like for example a large crippling open leg wound and you lose all coms i.e. your phone weather interferes with signal or it fell in a lake so on, you would have to manage yourself for that night, until I guess your wife notices you have failed to check in.

To sleep could mean death as you would have to managed your wound overnight, to have an idea to keep yourself awake under these situations is useful for survival, I was taught a few myself and the best one for leg wound and even other was to sleep light by resting your back up against a tree, this would mean you should wake up every time to start to drop off, was Army friend that told me this.

Water,I assume you've googled the water filter?

I have yet to google it

It filters and purifys the water at about 1 litre per minute,it works very well even in icy water.It won't filter ice but you can melt ice on the fire first.I've had if for at least 20 years(it was made by pur originally ) and the filter gets replaced every year regardless of how much water has gone through it.The filter is basically a pump that pumps water through a carbon and paper filter.

Thank you Intresting.

Are you just picking holes in what I do or are you fishing for something else.

No.

So far there have been some questions (not just from you) that are so obviously designed to identify me that it beggars belief .Do you think I am someone you recognise?

No idea what you’re on about here sorry, can't help the way you interpret this thread.
1 May 2012, 14:36,
(1 May 2012, 13:42)g79 Wrote: Water,I assume you've googled the water filter?

Katadyn gear is superb. Some twat pinched mine when I was with the missus in hospital waiting for her to drop.

Does your Hiker have the plastic handles on it, or the old school metal one?
If it's plastic, has it held up to hard pumping (that looks ... wrong) I've heard reports from some people that they're really well made, then from others saying if you pump it too hard the handle breaks Huh
27 July 2012, 07:52,
Re time consumed foraging:

Three of us went foragiong for mushrooms last weekend.

In three hours we collected sufficient for 15 meals..... that's one meal for each of us for 5 days.

Its all about looking for stuff that's in season. Weather here is such that another crop of mushrooms should be available this weekend. This time we're goingto try slicingthem and drying them by hanging out on strings.

Also we collected ( and ate there and then) a lot of wild strawberries, blueberries and rasberries. You just have to keep your eyes open for opportunities :-)

Of course you have to be very careful about mushrooms. Remember everything you find can be eaten, but some only once!!!!

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580