Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Personal Protection Dog Training
30 April 2012, 11:34,
Personal Protection Dog Training
Hi,

I've been looking at getting a dog for personal and family protection. I can't afford to buy a pre-trained one, as they're between £3500 and £5000. We've narrowed it down to a Rottweiler, and we're going to see the pups at the weekend.

Does anyone have any experience of training personal protection dogs, or the courses? They seem pretty expensive, but they train the dogs to attack on command, or when you're attacked. They also train them not just to attack the 'sleeves'. Is there another way to do this (apart from getting bitten myself?) Can anyone recommend any protection training courses for me an the pup?

Cheers
30 April 2012, 13:13,
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training
My only experience in dog training is on a film where they use a bunch of clothes on the clothesline and make it look like a person. They teach the dog to attack the person every time they say "Go get him". When the bad guy (I think he's a bully or something like that, in the story) comes into the kid's garden they tell the dog "Go get him" the dog starts going nuts and starts ripping clothes off the line!

So, given that experience, I'd recommend something different to that.

How come you didn't go for a German Shephard? Isn't that what the police generally use?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 April 2012, 13:15,
(30 April 2012, 13:13)Scythe13 Wrote: My only experience in dog training is on a film where they use a bunch of clothes on the clothesline and make it look like a person. They teach the dog to attack the person every time they say "Go get him". When the bad guy (I think he's a bully or something like that, in the story) comes into the kid's garden they tell the dog "Go get him" the dog starts going nuts and starts ripping clothes off the line!

So, given that experience, I'd recommend something different to that.

How come you didn't go for a German Shephard? Isn't that what the police generally use?

Mrs 00111001 doesn't like GSDs. Police use all sorts nowadays. GSD, Rottys, Dobermanns (Dobermenn?) even Spaniels an other gay little dogs.
30 April 2012, 13:17,
http://youtu.be/yadeRfqjMMM
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 April 2012, 13:19,
(30 April 2012, 13:17)Scythe13 Wrote: http://youtu.be/yadeRfqjMMM

I watched that last night. I've been on the company website, but I can't afford £3.5k+ for a dog Sad

They're very well trained though. They state they can defend you from multiple attackers etc.
30 April 2012, 13:23, (This post was last modified: 30 April 2012, 13:25 by Familyguy.)
hi binary i did the same thing as yourself and bought a pup to have trained ... it would have worked out cheaper to buy a fully trained dog ... but if you decide to get a pup i can put you in touch with a trainer in melton mobray who trains army dogs at the national dog training academy.... you ll have to be carefull buying your pup as not all have high drive naturally . . an 8 week old pup will be hit and miss if your not a person who has alot to do with dogs.

malinois are bite machines please do consider them as an option
30 April 2012, 13:31,
(30 April 2012, 13:23)Familyguy Wrote: hi binary i did the same thing as yourself and bought a pup to have trained ... it would have worked out cheaper to buy a fully trained dog ... but if you decide to get a pup i can put you in touch with a trainer in melton mobray who trains army dogs at the national dog training academy.... you ll have to be carefull buying your pup as not all have high drive naturally . . an 8 week old pup will be hit and miss if your not a person who has alot to do with dogs.

Hi FamilyGuy.

Sounds great, unfortunately I'm in Southampton so it's a bit far to drag a puppy for training. I would like to go for a ready trained dog, but can't justify spanking that sort of money on a family pet. I think I'd be better off spending money on one of those full body suits so the dog can have a chew on me instead! Plus the missus really wants a puppy, so we know it won't eat little 'un.
30 April 2012, 13:38,
i understand your predicament but you dont want the dog to show yourself or your family any aggression or it will assume its ok to bite you ...the aggressor must always be a third party .... and if its bought as a cute puppy it might get some bad habits ... i see dogs as either pets to live inside ...or guard/alert dogs that live outside and do the job of guarding i have 2 african boerbels for just that purpose ... they see there single role in life to defend our property and to show agression to anyone who comes near us ... big responsability as they are like loaded guns but i know to have how i want they cant be pets.
30 April 2012, 13:45,
(30 April 2012, 13:38)Familyguy Wrote: i understand your predicament but you dont want the dog to show yourself or your family any aggression or it will assume its ok to bite you ...the aggressor must always be a third party .... and if its bought as a cute puppy it might get some bad habits ... i see dogs as either pets to live inside ...or guard/alert dogs that live outside and do the job of guarding i have 2 african boerbels for just that purpose ... they see there single role in life to defend our property and to show agression to anyone who comes near us ... big responsability as they are like loaded guns but i know to have how i want they cant be pets.

Good point. Suppose I better stump up for the training then. I found somewhere that will train the puppy. Have to take it on a 2 week assessment course (£200) then they'll let you know if the dog is suitable for personal protection training. If so, then the course is £3000. The pre-trained dogs they have are suitable as both family pets and attack-beast, but they're at least 24 months old.
30 April 2012, 13:48,
be prepared though if they say the pup isnt sound .... you ll need another dog and you ll have a surplus puppy .