Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Personal Protection Dog Training
30 April 2012, 13:50,
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training
Aye. Rotty's are apparently very protective of their territory and owners anyway though, so hopefully it would be the dogs natural instincts to protect even without the advanced training. Obviously it probably wouldn't attack etc on command, but should still do a good job?
30 April 2012, 13:58,
have you had a dog before binary ?
if you buy a poor quality dog it may cost thousands to keep it healthy or if you buy a dog that isnt sound it might bite your kids or wife ... my wife refuses to go near the dogs as they was here first and they try to bully her because they know they can when i am not around .... having a big powerfull dog like a rott is a hard dog to keep if its a first time dog.
a rott can cost from 350 quid a pup to over a grand theres a reason for this ...if your allowing an animal to enter into your life for the next 12 years make sure you check dogs from previous litters and make sure you dont just do it assuming it ll guard you ... dogs act in different ways to all sorts eg fireworks .... i took 3 months of work to intergrate my dogs to fit around me ... its hard work but you ll sleep alot better...neighbours might not though ...lol
30 April 2012, 14:08,
(30 April 2012, 13:13)Scythe13 Wrote: My only experience in dog training is on a film where they use a bunch of clothes on the clothesline and make it look like a person. They teach the dog to attack the person every time they say "Go get him". When the bad guy (I think he's a bully or something like that, in the story) comes into the kid's garden they tell the dog "Go get him" the dog starts going nuts and starts ripping clothes off the line!
No would have been much quicker.

I have a little. The problem we had is that it would only obey me. It was second in command and hered the kids when I was not there. If you want more than the basics of a family pet you and your family need to spend time training it as well. There are books available but I wasn't after a guard dog so I didn't spend the time necessary.

It is not easy for a beginner.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 April 2012, 14:10,
(30 April 2012, 13:58)Familyguy Wrote: have you had a dog before binary ?
if you buy a poor quality dog it may cost thousands to keep it healthy or if you buy a dog that isnt sound it might bite your kids or wife ... my wife refuses to go near the dogs as they was here first and they try to bully her because they know they can when i am not around .... having a big powerfull dog like a rott is a hard dog to keep if its a first time dog.
a rott can cost from 350 quid a pup to over a grand theres a reason for this ...if your allowing an animal to enter into your life for the next 12 years make sure you check dogs from previous litters and make sure you dont just do it assuming it ll guard you ... dogs act in different ways to all sorts eg fireworks .... i took 3 months of work to intergrate my dogs to fit around me ... its hard work but you ll sleep alot better...neighbours might not though ...lol

We had a dog as a family pet before (it was more my sisters tbh) but it was a beagle. Stupid thing was scared to death of me. I presume cause I'm a good 6 inches taller than the rest of my family? The only time it'd come near me was when I had weed with me. Little git wouldn't leave me alone then.

The missus had a rotty when she was younger, so she's used to dealing with big dogs. The pups are from a champion bloodline, KC registered etc. Going to cost me £850. I'm more than happy to devote lots of time (and money) into the training. Primarily we want a family pet, but I want him to be able, and quick to, defend us. Mainly the missus an little 'un to be honest. I want the wife to be able to walk the dog wherever she wants knowing that if any scrotes try anything that the dog will do it's best to protect her.
30 April 2012, 14:16,
the look of big dogs scares most away .... if i could learn to post vids on here i got some crackers on the cctv of ours jumping at gates or stalking people walking near the house then jumping at them when there within striking distance (good job we got railings around the house)...is it from working lines or show (avoid show lineage as they have more health problems)...i think it s a 5 grand investment to have a pup trained to remote control level ... both mine are but i am still very carefull when there out with me or at home ... if we have visitors i have to close all the down stairs blinds and not let them see inside or they dont switch off asuming someone is walking around the house at night uninvited....just be carefull mate and get lots of advice of the rotty club uk.
30 April 2012, 14:17,
My dog is now 3 years old and does exactly as he's told(mostly).He can fetch different coloured toys that are otherwise identical.
He will bark on command and stop on command,he will rag on command and stop,he will bite on command and stop.
I have him trained so that even if I raise a hand to the kids he goes in for the kill.
And he's still learning.
The way to train any dog is to put him in a situation and show him what you want him to do while constantly saying the same command,never ever change the command.After a while you can start to use a hand signal at the same time as saying the command .Soon the dog will react to a hand signal in the same way as a spoken command.
I can make a small PSST sound to attract his attention and with an expression on my face and a hand signal to direct him and he will go to where I want him and do as I want him to do.
It takes time and effort,but consistency is the best way.
Sometimes he does everything exactly as I want but now and again I just as well be talking to myself,mainly if there's a bitch about.I did think of having him neutered but that just makes dogs lazy.
30 April 2012, 14:21,
(30 April 2012, 14:17)g79 Wrote: My dog is now 3 years old and does exactly as he's told(mostly).He can fetch different coloured toys that are otherwise identical.
He will bark on command and stop on command,he will rag on command and stop,he will bite on command and stop.
I have him trained so that even if I raise a hand to the kids he goes in for the kill.
And he's still learning.
The way to train any dog is to put him in a situation and show him what you want him to do while constantly saying the same command,never ever change the command.After a while you can start to use a hand signal at the same time as saying the command .Soon the dog will react to a hand signal in the same way as a spoken command.
I can make a small PSST sound to attract his attention and with an expression on my face and a hand signal to direct him and he will go to where I want him and do as I want him to do.
It takes time and effort,but consistency is the best way.
Sometimes he does everything exactly as I want but now and again I just as well be talking to myself,mainly if there's a bitch about.I did think of having him neutered but that just makes dogs lazy.

That's the level of training I'm looking for. How do you train him to bite on command though if you have to put him in that situation? Does the postman refuse to deliver to your house ? Wink
30 April 2012, 14:31, (This post was last modified: 30 April 2012, 14:37 by g79.)
When he's a pup his first instinct is to bite everything.Stop him biting the things you don't want him to by using a sharp no command and allow him to bite your hands and legs while using the command you expect to use to command him.Every time he bites your hand say something like get hand, when he bites your foot say get foot.Bear in mind the difference between hand and foot has a different meaning to him,but the command GET will mean the same thing so you have to choose the command carefully as if you tell him to get the ball,you know what he's going to do to it.You can use a stick if you don't fancy him biting you but then you have to train him in body parts too.To do this say the body part whilst holding a treat to the body part after a while when you say the body part he's expecting a treat and he knows where it's going to be ,so he goes to that part to have a look.If you have trained him to bite on the word GET and trained him where the hand is he will GET the HAND.With time he will learn the commands and what is expected of him.Make sure you reward him every time he gets it right,think like Pavlov.He used to ring a bell while his dogs were eating ,no commands nothing,never said a word.After a while he would ring the bell and the dogs would start salivating as if they were eating.Training is just a form of mental conditioning.Works with people too.
Going on from SD post ,you MUST make sure the dog knows he is at the bottom of the pack,never put the dog before family not even if you come through the door and he's there waiting for you ,ignore him until after you have greeted everyone else.Also never let him go through a door before you.You are the alpha dog and he must know it.
When my dog pushes his luck,,I pin him to the floor and take his throat in my mouth while growling and biting gently.I don't let go until he stops struggling and submits.My dog knows whose boss but he still tries it on now and again.
30 April 2012, 15:22,
Wow, impressive.
My dog knows who is boss, the SWMBO first then me although:-
If scared it comes to me,
(Show me a dog that doesn't occasionally feel scared and I'll show you a dog that lies)
If hurt or feeling bad it goes to SWMBO,
It doesn't take food from anyone or off the ground.

Every visitor is watched like a hawk until they are declared safe and properly introduced.

If either of us looks threatened, it's hackles rise and God help anyone who touches us.
If it attacks, history has it 100% of the time responding to the safe word and lying down.

Professional training? No, just me, praise, lots of fun, and loads of padding on my arms and really thick gauntlets.

30 April 2012, 15:27,
Professional training? No, just me, praise, lots of fun, and loads of padding on my arms and really thick gauntlets.

Best way to do it.