Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stove Fuel
3 May 2012, 19:31,
RE: Stove Fuel
Try a Kelly Kettle. So long as the fuel is fairly dry it will burn at any temperature. I've even started it with hexi blocks then added damp fuel when its going. The heat soon drys sticks and then they burn well.
3 May 2012, 19:45,
(3 May 2012, 19:31)Dorset Lad Wrote: Try a Kelly Kettle. So long as the fuel is fairly dry it will burn at any temperature. I've even started it with hexi blocks then added damp fuel when its going. The heat soon drys sticks and then they burn well.

I think as an energy efficient water heater they are up for the job, my problem with them and I have both types full sets is that the top pan set burns the food quite easy they are near on impossible to regulate and I never felt comfortable with the stability of them.

So my take on them is water heater yes cooking foods no, I repeat my take only, others including you maybe got them down to a tee.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
3 May 2012, 19:51,
I do agree with you W & C, cooking is definately a skill that needs much practice with them. A fire small enough to cook with always seems to go out. A brew and any meal that just needs hot water added is the best bet.
3 May 2012, 22:12,
Looked at these before. look good for heating water in.
9 March 2016, 15:11,
the kelly kettle is ace for boiling water .while enjoying your hot drink etc the coals from the sticks you added to the fast fuel in the chimney should be in the bottom section and ideal for cooking.(the pot holder for the top isnt much use imho)

i never carry more than a little fuel which is usually dry twigs etc or a few bits of charcoal from a previous fire.
apart from the having to carry it issues fossil fuels ,hex etc will run out but knowing how to use wood or whatever is available for each job is easy to carry and renewable

other issues include if your food is covered in paraffin it is gone ,if it has a few charcoal crumbs on it it isnt and a few sticks wont set you on fire if they leak

ps if moving super light kit is best but if static heavy cook gear such as dutch ovens,grids for the fire,billy cans etc are very useful

pps if im going minimal my entire food and drink kit is a 3 litre plastic bottle,some purifying tabs. a stainless steel 500 ml cup,a knife and a fire starter
+ plus a days food and a few spices which get replaced by forage etc
10 March 2016, 10:05,
I have several Butane and Propane canisters. It is rarely below 0 here in the UK and it is easy to insulate the containers although I don't bother because I have the option. As they run out I'll start protecting them as some of my units work best with butane. Not sure why but following instructions.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 March 2016, 10:16,
I've got 5 of the 15 KG blue LPG bottles but only 2 of the orange ones which work in much colder temps than the blue bottles

10 March 2016, 17:38, (This post was last modified: 10 March 2016, 17:38 by Lightspeed.)
Are you sure you have that the right way around NR?

I thought Propane was in blue bottles ad Butane in the orange ones?

For sure Propane is a better cold weather fuel than Butane... remember that you need a different regulator too.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

10 March 2016, 18:01,
Dunno which gas is in them mate I just know the blue one does not like the cold but thevorange ones seem OK ?

10 March 2016, 18:08,
Quick dig suggest PROPANE is better in cold weather mate, thats the Orange Calor bottles