Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compact Meths Stove
4 May 2012, 22:27, (This post was last modified: 4 May 2012, 22:31 by Timelord.)
RE: Compact Meths Stove
The copper coloured shield is actually stainless steel & was made out of the inner of a workmate thermos that I cut up for a different project. The bottom of these has rudimentary lugs cut into it to twist & grip onto the Trianga burners screwthread neck, that the lid normally fastens on to.

I started off with too few holes, tying to keep one side solid to act as a wind break. Everytime I placed a pan on top of the shield, the burner would extinguish. Due to lack of air I realises after a few attempts. The meths burner needs a lot of airflow but also needs the shield to act in breaking up any strong wind that on its own could blow the flame jets out. the shield also acts as the pan rest. I measured the original Trianga surround distance to get the right height for the shield to hold the pan above the burner.

The top pan/container is a steel container that a military watch came in as a gift, This is very lightweight and may not be robust enough. In that case I could make or find a thicker replacement.

Stored inside at the base of the shield is a gas lighter. I could also probably squeeze a few hexi blocks in here for auxillary use or some other useful items maybe for firelighting. The shield nests inside the steel container. the brass burner nests inside the shield and its rim stops on the top of the steel outer container, leaving the storage space already mentioned below.

The small piece of stainless "blocker" as I have described it, is used for when I sit my 58pattern metal mug on top of the shield. the blocker fills in the gap on the inside kidney shape face.

Fuel is carried in a seperate container, whilst some is already inside the burner, so can be taken out & used immediately. I just need to source a suitable drawcord bag to carry the cooker in.

This design I found the day after, is similar to that of the 2nd World war "Tommy Cooker", other than that example uses solid fuel.

The all important weight :-

By discarding the rest of the Trianga assembly, the weight has gone down from 1kilo, to 225grams

The weight could be reduced even more by using a non Trianga burner. One of the different make pattern parts that copy the Trianga one would do it. they are of a smaller diameter & lighter - probably also due to thinner gauged metal. I kept the Trianga one as this is the heart of the system and I want it to be robust & virtually indestructable. The rest can be scavanged & made up as necessary.

Messages In This Thread
Compact Meths Stove - by Timelord - 4 May 2012, 22:01
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Nemesis - 4 May 2012, 22:25
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Timelord - 4 May 2012, 22:27
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Nemesis - 4 May 2012, 23:16
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Timelord - 4 May 2012, 23:30
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Nemesis - 5 May 2012, 00:10
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Paul - 5 May 2012, 04:59
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Nemesis - 9 May 2012, 19:45
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Timelord - 9 May 2012, 20:07
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Nemesis - 9 May 2012, 20:44
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Timelord - 9 May 2012, 22:52