Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compact Meths Stove
9 May 2012, 20:44,
RE: Compact Meths Stove
(9 May 2012, 20:07)Timelord Wrote: Hello W&C. Some considerations are :- the fuel consumption running on meths, especially using the venturi effect versions seems to be very efficient. I think you should try incorporating these small venturi holes into one of your lightweight designs. This will mix much more air in with the fuel particles and so will use less actual liquid fuel itself for a given energy output.

Due to the efficiency then one litre of meths should last longer than say a gas canister or other fuels possibly. Combined with the lightweight of the stove set up, then as you say, this increases viability and available weight allowance for fuel storage.

Aside from this, I see the meths burner as a stove for use in haste or when no dry natural fuel or even any natural fuel is available. It is also good for when trying to remain covert.

At other times and when suitable, then an alternative fire or cooking source can be utilized. The stove can be kept for emergencies and any of the above mentioned scenarios. If only used in limited circumstances, then the fuel reserve should last much longer and this fuel reserve may be able to be supplemented from time to time.

I think we should proceed soon with the experiment to find readily available alternative fuels, eg an alcohol/oil mix etc.
Regards, TL.
The copy aftermarket Trainga style burners I see for sale at Army Surplus stores is a approx 30% smaller and much lighter than the Trianga burner. I am sure they will be comparable in wight to your coke can style ones. They work the same as the Trianga ones with the venturi effect. I believe they cost about £5 + or - a pound.

I did try smaller holes they would not take, I was forced to re drill them.

I must look at getting a small drill set to give more options.

I get about 6 mins on an ounce burn, as it stand now, but needs better testing weather and all that.

So the meth is the back-up, good stuff.

I hope you can get this alternative fuels thing worked out, if you want me to buy some fuels and test let me know I got time on my hands.

As for copy aftermarket Trangia style burners the inner walls break after little use, all mine are Trangia or Swiss Army.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ

Messages In This Thread
Compact Meths Stove - by Timelord - 4 May 2012, 22:01
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Nemesis - 4 May 2012, 22:25
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Timelord - 4 May 2012, 22:27
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Nemesis - 4 May 2012, 23:16
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Timelord - 4 May 2012, 23:30
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Nemesis - 5 May 2012, 00:10
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Paul - 5 May 2012, 04:59
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Nemesis - 9 May 2012, 19:45
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Timelord - 9 May 2012, 20:07
RE: Compact Meths Stove - by Nemesis - 9 May 2012, 20:44