Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compact Meths Stove
9 May 2012, 22:52,
RE: Compact Meths Stove
OK, try White Spirit & a v.v.little old engine oil.
Old engine oil will be abundant in a PSHTF world. I know it will not be clean burning, but if we can find alternative highly distilled liquid fuels, such as wood alcohol or similar and only mix a small amount of oil in, then it might be good in an emergency scenario. In the slightly longer term - it would be possible to make simple alcohol with little equipment or tech needed. You could even source low alcohol beverages that survive like wine and perform rudimentary distillation to produce alcohol for the stove.

What is meths made from anyway? I havn't looked into that yet but I will be having a meeting with a chemist trained friend tommorrow, so I will ask him on this subject.
9 May 2012, 23:21,
Ethanol with things added to make it undrinkable, thus it no longer complies with alcohol laws and would not be taxed as such.

Wiki:

Denatured alcohol or methylated spirits is ethanol that has additives to make it inedible (poisonous), to prevent human consumption. In some cases it is also dyed.

Denatured alcohol is used as a solvent and as fuel for spirit burners and camping stoves. Because of the diversity of industrial uses for denatured alcohol, hundreds of additives and denaturing methods have been used. The main additive has traditionally been 10% methanol, giving rise to the term "methylated spirit." Other typical additives include isopropyl alcohol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, and denatonium.[

Denaturing alcohol does not chemically alter the ethanol molecule. Rather, the ethanol is mixed with other chemicals to form an undrinkable solution.

Different additives are used to make it difficult to use distillation or other simple processes to reverse the denaturation. Methanol is commonly used both because its boiling point is close to that of ethanol and because it is toxic. In many countries, it is also required that denatured alcohol be dyed blue or purple with an aniline dye.

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
30 June 2012, 04:43,
hmmm is it just me that thinks this thread sounds rather dodgy xD
30 June 2012, 18:51,
Dodgy? I'm happy to post dodgy stuff. It isn't illegal yet. Fuck em.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 July 2012, 02:54,
Haha lol dodgy bloody hell
Welcome to the world of prepping
That has just made my day lol
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
1 July 2012, 23:32,
well i just read meth stove and jumped to the rather more illegal conclusion xD.....was gonna say, its not a good thing to cook up in your house o.O