Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Forum Wide Challenge - fire starting
22 July 2012, 13:26,
RE: Forum Wide Challenge - fire starting
ME! MAN! MAKE! FIRE!!

Thought I'd get this in before the august deadline Smile This was a great experience for me. Made a flame 4 times with just my knife, ferro rod and dead grass. Unfortunately I was only getting the flame to last for approx 5 seconds, and it wasn't spreading properly through the little birds nest I'd made. I figured this was proably because a) the underside had a little too much green in it because I'd only taken maybe 30 seconds walking the edge of a field picking up dead grass and b) I needed to "fluff" the nest up a bit more.
I also had the magnesium bar to make shavings (which I didn't use), rizla (which I didn't use), and 5 sheets of toilet paper, which I did use as I felt at that point I was getting a flame easy enough but I just needed something that would catch a bit more and help set the whole thing up.
I didn't have time to set it up properly with more kindling etc. but I'm confident from this point I could've have a fire going for hours with all the dead twigs and grass around

[Image: 8yw4ue.jpg]

Think I might make this a daily habit. Will give me experience in all weathers, with all different natural and man made tinders, show me how long I can reasonably expect a ferro rod to last etc.
Kind of feel like I cheated a bit with the toilet paper, but I'll still chalk it up as a win Smile
22 July 2012, 19:35,
hey its not cheating if your still beginning...least thats how i look at it xD....personally i get bored and make a fire every few days now, its not only fun, but a great way to polish up yo skills Big Grin

graet job dude! looks like a nice fire Smile

one of my favourite tinders is string! just tease it apart, a couple of inches can make a large ball that will burst into flames with a single strike from a firesteel Big Grin just have something else next to you like dry grass or something Smile
23 July 2012, 17:24,
I'm genuinely impressed. Time for the older (no offence, but it's an honest description haha) vanguard to show how it's done ;-)
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 July 2012, 18:16,

Prepare yourself, I'm having another go this weekend whilst on the Ladies camping trip. I would advise those of a nervous disposition to stay indoors.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
23 July 2012, 18:17,
(23 July 2012, 18:16)TOF Wrote: Prepare yourself, I'm having another go this weekend whilst on the Ladies camping trip. I would advise those of a nervous disposition to stay indoors.

now that sounds like my kind of firelighting!!
23 July 2012, 18:40,
Day off today made a fire with battery & wire wool also with a magnifying glass.
Failure is NOT an option
23 July 2012, 20:59,
(23 July 2012, 17:24)Scythe13 Wrote: I'm genuinely impressed. Time for the older (no offence, but it's an honest description haha) vanguard to show how it's done ;-)

Fuck me - YOU'RE ALIVE!!

Hello bud, hope all is well.
28 July 2012, 17:14,
Argh made a long post but lost it.
Anyway, it was nagging me all week that I "cheated" using the sheets of toilet paper, so went out today with just my knife and ferro rod and made fire Big Grin feels good

[Image: m8grpz.jpg]
[Image: igjhh2.jpg]
28 July 2012, 17:25,
nice job dude ^^ i was out the other day with a lighter in the garden and wanted to practise blowing a tiny ember up to a flame, its not as easy as i thought xD...mind you i was using slightly wet moss and dry leaves and stuff xD..got there in the end Big Grin

i think the way to go about perfecting your skills is to start off by "cheating" and doing it in ideal conditions with ideal materials, then once you've got that down, remove one element, so dont have pre-prepared tinder, and eventually work towards starting a fire in the cold and rain with only a knife Big Grin