Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Forum Wide Challenge - fire starting
30 June 2012, 06:36,
RE: *****Forum Wide Challenge*****
so i just randomly found this and.....CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. im off into the garden to see if i can do this Smile leaving my matches and my lighters inside, if i suceed ill do it again and take a video later on Smile
30 June 2012, 07:39,
so after trying and failing for like an hour or maybe even 2 to make a fire using nothing but a small razor blade i had to give up Tongue but i shall not be beaten so easily, once my finger stops bleeding i shall try again xD
30 June 2012, 18:48,
Exactly why we should practise the skill and not just read it, say that is easy, and move on as many do.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 June 2012, 23:02,
(30 June 2012, 07:39)Hrusai Wrote: so after trying and failing for like an hour or maybe even 2 to make a fire using nothing but a small razor blade i had to give up Tongue but i shall not be beaten so easily, once my finger stops bleeding i shall try again xD

Well done for having a go!!
1 July 2012, 17:16,
hi, well just made fire using a striker set, ok it took 6 mins ish, its the first time i used one so was very happy! I used a dry wetwipe and some wood shavings... did a vid of it, but dont know how to post it on here
2 July 2012, 00:49,
well im gonna go and try again in a second, i wouldve done it sooner but i had a heavy night/day last night Tongue...still hungover xD

but i totally agree with skean dhude, its one thing to talk about these skills but no matter your knowledge you gotta get a feel for each method!....as i was doing it i was still getting familiar with how to carve the wood into the right shapes, what parts to pick (which was hard cause altough hugely overgrown, my garden aint no forest xD that and it was bloody wet Tongue).....and also even if you dont manage to get it burning, a bit more of a feel for it and making some progress makes you feel great!

@james jackson, hah i bet it madee you happy ^^ good job on managing it dude, as for the vid, you can upload it to youtube and make it a private video, that way no one can see the video unless they have the link Smile
4 July 2012, 13:50,
(30 June 2012, 07:39)Hrusai Wrote: so after trying and failing for like an hour or maybe even 2 to make a fire using nothing but a small razor blade i had to give up Tongue but i shall not be beaten so easily, once my finger stops bleeding i shall try again xD

I'm not surprised - you'll need more than a small razor blade to start a fire.
4 July 2012, 18:08, (This post was last modified: 4 July 2012, 18:09 by Skvez.)
Re: Forum Wide Challenge - fire starting
Started fire with a ferro-rod and a piece of toilet paper.
I was surprised that it didn't take on the first 'strike' as the fero rod produced a great spray of sparks. It took about 10 strikes before one of the sparks caught.
Just a note: Fero-rods wear away, a lot faster than some people think. Many part-time outdoors people (and by that I mean people with a day job who only get out into the wilderness at the weekends and holidays) have worn away multiple fero-rods at their hobby.
One ferro-rod will not last you for years after TEOTWAWKI
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
5 July 2012, 00:42,
RE: Forum Wide Challenge - fire starting
my vid of me making the fire, ok yes it did take 5 mins.. Got blisters from using the striker..........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zz68RlW9nU&feature=youtu.be

and yes i feel a right ass it took so much effort lol
5 July 2012, 06:27, (This post was last modified: 5 July 2012, 06:29 by Hrusai.)
RE: Forum Wide Challenge - fire starting
(5 July 2012, 00:42)James Jackson Wrote: my vid of me making the fire, ok yes it did take 5 mins.. Got blisters from using the striker..........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zz68RlW9nU&feature=youtu.be

and yes i feel a right ass it took so much effort lol

ok its too private lol, i think i must of meant to say unlisted lol xD

but hey dont feel like an ass, you had a go, more than most can say Smile...if we dont practise we're screwed
yeah i had another go with some wire wool and a bettery which worked....and i found me dads leatherman which was bloody useful Smile

ended up going into the garden making a shelter while it was tipping it down with rain, then making a fire under it Smile