Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Myar Bags vs Kilner Jars For Dry Food Storage.
9 May 2012, 13:47,
Myar Bags vs Kilner Jars For Dry Food Storage.

Both methods are great for long term storage the trick is knowing what to store by which method. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages. Without touching on Canning otherwise known as bottling where Kilner jars are essential, here are some observations on storing dried goods using Kilner jars and Mylar bag system.

Firstly, cost. In this country it seems any prepping item is prohibitively expensive, it is therefore wise to think carefully about what you want your storage system to do. At the moment there are few suppliers of mylar bags and oxygen absorbers and some of those charge ridiculous amounts. Kilner jars are also expensive.

For long term storage of bulk foodstuff the bucket, mylar bag and oxygen absorber pretty much wins. Over 10kg of food can be stored in one batch. All the better if carbon dioxide can be used to purge the bag, before adding the oxygen absorber and sealing the bag. It is important to make sure the right size absorber is used for the bag. Mylar bags are also a light barrier. If you have a number of people to prep for large quantities would be easier to manage.

For storage of smaller quantities and foods with sharp edges, the kilner jar is a better bet. A kilner jar with an oxygen absorber will do the same job. Just as with mylar bags, it is important to make sure the oxygen absorber is big enough for the jar. There are other advantages to using kilner jars, particularly for dehydrated food. It is easy to make a visible check for any degradation in the jar, mould growing etc. A vacuum will form in the jar when all the oxygen has been absorbed. Kilner jars have a limitless life.

A mylar bag can only be used once in its original size, but depending on what it was used for, you may be able to cut it down and use it again. Dehydrated food can easily puncture a mylar bag and once that happens, the food is spoiled and there’s a mess to cleanup, it may even invite vermin a heavy bucketful of foodstuff is difficult to move about and there is the problem of using a large quantity of one type before it goes off. It is also impossible to the contents once the bag is sealed.
For large quantities Kilner jars are just far too small to compete and the risk of breakage is high. Kilner jars need to be stored in the dark to prevent light affecting the contents. Jars must be perfectly dry before adding the contents. Sealing discs and bands need to be seated properly.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
9 May 2012, 17:24,
RE: Myar Bags vs Kilner Jars For Dry Food Storage.
You say Kilner have an unlimited life. What about the seal on the jar?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 May 2012, 18:01,

With the jars being glass, they last as long as they don't break.
It depends on which closures you have SD. The clip top jars like this http://www.kilnerjarsuk.co.uk/kilnerrang...tops-round can be used quite a few times, I've got some 5 years old and the gaskets still form a seal I just pop them into hot water and it seems to work.
Jars with a screw top like this http://www.kilnerjarsuk.co.uk/kilnerrange/screwtop I don't really know, I've only been using these jars for a few years, I have re-used them but just a couple of times so can't really comment on their longevity. This is only my personal opinion, if you want to use fresh discs and gaskets that's fine.
If using Kilner jars for canning or bottling, never re-use the sealing discs or gaskets.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
9 May 2012, 18:31,
Thanks for the info. Links are great.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin