Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
REVIEW Karrimor Predator Patrol 45
13 May 2012, 19:35,
Thumbs Up  REVIEW Karrimor Predator Patrol 45
[Image: 1304501958_46.jpg]
After going through a few 33 litre day sacks, I decided to invest in a decent rucksack, one with a variety of uses and adaptability. After browsing various army surplus websites, I found the Karrimor Predator Patrol 45, a fairly Gucci looking patrol sack, which I believe is currently used by the Army in Afghanistan, albeit in sand/coyote.

I had the oppurtunity to give the rucksack a baptism by fire, on a Silver DofE Expedition in the peak district, where it was walked around 14K a day fully loaded, at around 2.5 stone in weight. I expected the stitching to stretch, or some part to fail, but I could find nothing. Perhaps some flaw will reveal itself with age, but only time will tell.

Features:
-Concealable waist belt

The padded hip belt similar to those on other rucksacks, can be completely tucked away into slits in the rucksack back. This may be to help ditch the sack quickly, or to make wearing it with webbing less awkward.
-Quick release belt buckle
Odd design, but easy to release should you need to dump the pack and run.
[/b]-Sternum strap
-One main compartment
Inside the main 45 liter compartment there are two belt thingies, presumably to help stabilize a large object in the pack, like a long rifle.
-Compatible with side pockets (PLCE)
I'm sure most people on this site will have some PLCE stuff kicking around, or failing that, try the local car boot. Theres always some chairborne commando with a table full of surplus.
-Lid pocket
Two zip pockets on the lid, one on the outside, one on the inside
-Stuff pockets
Elasticated side pockets on the main body should you choose to not use a PLCE side pouch. I had a large water bottle held in place with the compression straps for DofE, It worked very well.
-MOLLE webbing front and sides
You could totally encrust the bag with MOLLE stuff, if it floats your boat.
-Ski guides
-Compression straps
-Carry handle
Actually has 2 carry handles, one on the back, one on the front.
-Rotproof thread
It sounds like the bag is designed to cope with long periods in a wet, humid environment.
-Reinforced with bartacks
Very strong stitching, no sign of stretching on the shoulder straps or anywhere else for that matter.
-Durable water repellent (DWR)
Had no problems with water in the peak district, it kept out light rain and splashes. Heavier soaking could be prepared for with bag liners.
-YKK zips
-Material: KS100e.
-Colour: Olive or Coyote
I have also seen this rucksack in DPM.
Would highly recommend this rucksack, as a BOB, survival pack etc. Its comfortable to wear, can be customized to a high level, and is a very adaptable, tough no nonsense rucksack.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
14 May 2012, 15:13,
RE: REVIEW Karrimor Predator Patrol 45
Good review mate!

How much kit did you manage to get inside it? For example, I keep my roll-mat out of my BOB because it's U-L but also quite large. So bits of info like that are appreciated.

Also, well done for doing the Silver DofE! Good work!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 May 2012, 16:19,
I had the roll mat on the outside, with my coat rolled up similarly on the outside, on the inside I had sleeping bag, all my food in a plastic box, clothes wrapped in plastic bags, my portion of the group tent, and other odds and ends in the top pouches or the one PLCE side pouch. Thanks!
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
11 June 2012, 08:15,
I have the older and more basic version of this, the Sabre 45 and it's lasted me for years. Just took it out at the weekend for a nigh wild camping. Never fails.
Subvert the dominant paradigm...
The Market Stick
7 April 2013, 19:24,
It's almost a year after I got this and it has shown almost no signs of age. The stitching is holding strong, with no tears or stretching despite being repeatedly stuffed full of stuff and emptied again. The only part that has misbehaved is the zip on the top pouch, which has feeding issues, but is a different, thin metal zip compared to the chunky plastic zips that function better.
7 April 2013, 22:33,
Mine is an older style as well...... you will NOT come across any flaws if its looked after.

How heavy is the pack empty?,.. the only slight fault with the older types is that they tend to be a touch heavy,..I suspect that yours is lighter
A major part of survival is invisibility.