Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automated sentries
15 May 2012, 13:36,
Automated sentries
Shed wireless PIR systems are a very useful item to have. You can get extra PIR's to go on the system. The batteries that I have seen are usually AA's, so are ideal for solar charging.

These systems are lightweight and can be set up anywhere, buildings, outdoors, temporary camps, day or night.

For outdoors, the unit may need weatherproofing.

The sounder can either be muffled to be more covert or can be set up remotely to act as a distraction whilst at the same time alerting you to a foreign presence.

The sounder can be modified to operate an alternative electrical trigger circuit of ones own utilitarian desire.Cool
15 May 2012, 17:13,
RE: Automated sentries
I use a battery powered PIR light from Wilko's when culling rabbit.
I set it up alongside a run, get comfy about 15-20 metres away and just wait for the leds to light.
Instant confused bunny.

Sealed with standard sink sealant round the edges.

I played with a unit by replacing the white leds with IR leds. Sprayed the unit with matt green including the lenses. Worked a treat with the night scope and no confused bunny.

PRefer the white light though.

16 May 2012, 13:47,

What a brilliant idea!
As a complete dolly when it come to DIY, could you perhaps write a tutorial in idiot speak on how to make the modifications?

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
27 June 2012, 12:21,
now when you say automatic sentries do you mean alarms, or guns >Big Grin

i want to modify one of these >Big Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBa5bQfTGc
27 June 2012, 22:46, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2012, 00:58 by Nemesis.)
(27 June 2012, 12:21)Hrusai Wrote: now when you say automatic sentries do you mean alarms, or guns >Big Grin

"The sounder can be modified to operate an alternative electrical trigger circuit of ones own utilitarian desire."

Simples..

28 June 2012, 16:28, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2012, 16:28 by Hrusai.)
(27 June 2012, 22:46)Timelord Wrote:
(27 June 2012, 12:21)Hrusai Wrote: now when you say automatic sentries do you mean alarms, or guns >Big Grin

"The sounder can be modified to operate an alternative electrical trigger circuit of ones own utilitarian desire."

Simples..

mwahahahahahaha with this informations i shall be unstoppable > : D lulz

but for real i havve a fair amount of ideas for such automatic weaponry (all based off freely available open source code and stuff)

still automated sentries are a great idea, although i'd not go for a sound meself, or even lights, just a silent alert that either i, or people im with will get Tongue
good info to have though Smile
29 June 2012, 13:19,
Having a small light or (fairly quiet) buzzer in your retreat/house to let you know your premeter has been breached is an excellent idea for those of us who are not part of a group that is large enough to post sentries 24/7. Even if you do have sentries they add additional redundancy.back-up (the sentry can't be watching 360 degrees all the time).
I plan to get an outdoor PIR (Passive InfraRed) sometime and modify it for a more subtle response (than the usual activating a floodlight). I'll try and take pics and post a "how to".
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
29 June 2012, 14:06,
Hrusai,

As long as you remember that one day you or your loved ones may get lost or chased into these areas and PIRs have no discrimination circuitry. I do see a use for these in defence but always prefer a human hand in the loop.

SD
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 June 2012, 21:54,
(29 June 2012, 14:06)Skean Dhude Wrote: Hrusai,

As long as you remember that one day you or your loved ones may get lost or chased into these areas and PIRs have no discrimination circuitry. I do see a use for these in defence but always prefer a human hand in the loop.

SD

ah but thats where this open source software comes into play! although its not foolproof its very accurate! even with 2 almost identical objects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GhNXHCQGsM

its an amazing bit of software and is totally open source! although there is a private company headed by the creator of this software who is developing it further, i highly recommend checking out his other video showcases of the software, it has implications far beyond simple tracking and recognition, some terrifying some incredible! but nonetheless its amazing work.......but at the end of the day with something with the potential to kill and/or maim i'd also rather have a human hand in control! but i guess its all situation dependent right, these sorts of systems are going to be alot harder than a simple alert system, so much more to go wrong Tongue.....hmmm gonna be harder to do, ill have to research this a bit more methinks

@skvez i'd be very interested in seeing a how to if you do post one! i've got an IR webcam knocking around somewhere in my room Tongue so would be cool to modify that or w/e....but yeah a quiet alert would be fairly essential for a small group!