Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishing
1 October 2013, 07:12,
RE: Fly Fishing
Hi GG,

Good thought.

Being part time beside the sea, this is an important consideration that I'd overlooked.

Could you start a new thread about this? I's too important to bury within the fly fishing thread.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

1 October 2013, 07:54,
(1 October 2013, 07:12)Lightspeed Wrote: Hi GG,

Good thought.

Being part time beside the sea, this is an important consideration that I'd overlooked.

Could you start a new thread about this? I's too important to bury within the fly fishing thread.

Agreed. I was just coming back to this thread to add that thought and move it! Smile

1 October 2013, 19:23,
Like you Morgan I love fly fishing. I have rods AFTM rated 2-14. Ive taken trout, salmon, pike, barbel, tench, carp, roach, rudd, mackerel, garfish, pollock, bass and blue sharks in this country.
Failure is NOT an option
2 October 2013, 19:10,
I enjoy fresh water fishing, and fly fishing is great. I keep some fishing tackle in the BOB. My favorite is catching a small fish and using that to catch a large one.

But I have to agree with Ned, in survival situation i'll go with netting, trapping, trot lines, etc. things that catch fish without me being there. Not very sporting, I know, but better odds of putting food on the table.
12 July 2015, 21:35,
I've just taken a small interest in fly fishing, and am looking into it as a fun pastime, but also as a potential survival skill.

Does anyone in the Southwest area want to lend a hand to help me learn?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 July 2015, 22:53,
I live fairly close to the sea, and can see one of the best salmon rivers from my house, so fishing has always been an option for me. In difficult times I wouldn't bother with the usual rod and line methods, I will put out a long length of nylon strimmer line ( like monofilament fishing line but 3mm thick ) with as many small lines / hooks on as possible. I plan to fit "eyes" to the thick line and have the short lines on clips, to avoid horrible tangles when trying to move it - especially in the dark. I'll need an offshore wind to pull out a large float / buoy with my main line attached.
13 July 2015, 07:11,
I would do the same as Steve, I would not bother with any recreational methods for fishing, but use night lines, traps and nets anything else is just wasting your time and energy.
13 July 2015, 10:32,
fly fishing is a good hobby but any rod and reel fishing in a survival scenario is too time consuming, nets and traps would be the way to go.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 July 2015, 12:17,
Only Benin fishing once and it was fly fishing. Caught a rainbow trout and had it for dinner.

I have a pen rod and reel in my kit with an assortment of flys.

Also have a couple of yo yos. I am looking for a net .
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

13 July 2015, 17:17,
It would be night lines in my case and my local...but i have rods and all the bits n bobs ......you would have to use your time to the optimum with other matters i suspect .