Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tent pole crossbow bolts
24 May 2012, 01:58,
Tent pole crossbow bolts
I made some carbon fiber cross crossbow bolts from tent poles, as most of us know a good set of bolts we are paying around £35/£60 for 5 bolts, these will work out very cheap.

[Image: QMkENhwHd7PhxAaX5C6HpT3es.jpg]

[Image: rlR2NUT7uSTXpYSOnnnAu5cbd.jpg]

[Image: biP74A1AAAM0daLOv4FFsyGKY.jpg]

[Image: 7jfeUofHA6Fnnd5UUJUx3WiGE.jpg]

[Image: UH86ryvBU1iw7sTpC2wLrotbr.jpg]

Weight they are heavy at 43.5g my ten point will throw these out with a hefty punch, I will hope to get some good thud with my weaker crossbows as well, tomorrow I will do a firing test on a few crossbows as this is drying now.

Will work out the cost per bolt, and post update on both how it performs and price per unit, at a guess £1 each.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
24 May 2012, 08:02, (This post was last modified: 24 May 2012, 08:04 by Barneyboy.)
RE: Tent pole crossbow bolts
thanks for that can we have some pics the ones you got dont work for me my friend
they work now thankyou pal
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
24 May 2012, 08:39,
Very interesting. I'd like to try making some of these. Very handy for making something useful from all the camping gear that will be abandoned.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 May 2012, 10:23,
I'm paying around £10 for 6 decent quality imported bolts.

24 May 2012, 11:34,
Heavier is better than light for low FPS projectiles. Fly truer and lose less kinetic energy enroute.
24 May 2012, 13:08,
NR can you link me the site you get yours from?

Going to test now, will update.
24 May 2012, 16:00,
Few problems, fletching’s came off I think it was after shooting the first crossbow and the bolt going to deep also I did not use the fletching jig as it was setup for arrows not bolts.

They do hit hard video can't really pick that up was a thud from other side of garden, the weight and the better crossbow is wonderful, I used 180lb pro x bow and a 120lb common type I will try more tests when my order arrives and I can make up more bolts.

24 May 2012, 18:37, (This post was last modified: 24 May 2012, 18:39 by NorthernRaider.)
(24 May 2012, 13:08)WetandCold Wrote: NR can you link me the site you get yours from?

Going to test now, will update.

5 x 14 inch or 5 x 17 inch 9mm alloy tube with screw fitted target heads £9.99 now the three bladed broadheads screw straight on.

same ones from Crossbow4u are twice the price.

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/index.php...ories.html
Some guy online made x bow bolts that had no fletchings they were front end heavy like a throwing knife, solid as well not hollow, ferkin lethal at 20 yards.

24 May 2012, 18:59,
Ah thanks NR but them bolts are no good for the tenpoint they bend and are alloy, rated 120/150lb that’s why I am trying to make my own from tent poles so to get carbon fibre crossbow bolts.

As it works out now I have 182 bolts around £1 a bolt I will not destroy all the tents just one but I have 13 tents in all each with 14 shafts and placed a big order for heads and fletching’s should be here tomorrow, in case shtf I can then make the other bolts no problem, the saving is near on £800 up to £1500 pounds.

I do buy from Ronnie I have a huge box full of the 5 x 17" Alloy Crossbow Xbow Bolts Arrows at £9.99 and same with the little bolts he sells, few mods and they are bit more punchy, both of them.
24 May 2012, 23:43,
(24 May 2012, 16:00)WetandCold Wrote: Few problems, fletching’s came off I think it was after shooting the first crossbow and the bolt going to deep also I did not use the fletching jig as it was setup for arrows not bolts.

They do hit hard video can't really pick that up was a thud from other side of garden, the weight and the better crossbow is wonderful, I used 180lb pro x bow and a 120lb common type I will try more tests when my order arrives and I can make up more bolts.

That first one really did hit hard. If you say the video didn't pick it up then it must have been like thunder there. I wouldn't want one of those in the groin.

I think a heavy bolt is good with a powerful bow.
I have an old 180lb draw recurve that destroys ally bolts like I'm firing crayons.
Regardless of if it saves you money, getting good at making your own bolts would be pretty useful after the collapse of society and all.