Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Vests for Survival
8 April 2012, 08:31,
RE: Vests for Survival
(7 April 2012, 23:48)Scythe13 Wrote:
(7 April 2012, 20:21)Skean Dhude Wrote: I don't think he is missing the point. He doesn't like them for some reason. To each his own and he needs to sort out what is suitable for him in his environment and use that.

I think it's probably lack of experience using them, that makes me bias against them.

(7 April 2012, 21:26)grumpy old man Wrote: if i need the kit then i won't care what i look like

And probably a bit of that. Vanity can be a bad thing.

As a body-warmer style, I can see the benefits as an EDC. It's probably also the fact that, because I don't see many people wearing them, I worry about standing out. I stand out enough as it is, so wearing a mil-style vest would be a no-no. So I'm quite digging the civi-style vests. They really do look like body-warmers.
i'm going to stop talking about this but 1 last remark, i think some people are confusing what i am talking about, these are not military vests-see the link W&C put up, these are civilian clothing. thats it, i'll shut up nowBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 June 2012, 23:14,
after it happens any little bit of space thats to hand will be good, a vest will be useful as you can add more knives, snairs, fishing things, ligher, torch. And it will be faster then going through rucksack. The other thing is with a jacket over the top of a black one with a black round neck on you it wont be noticed as much
20 June 2012, 12:01,
This kind of vest?

[Image: snp.jpg]
27 June 2012, 07:07, (This post was last modified: 27 June 2012, 07:10 by Hrusai.)
http://www.scottevest.com/

your welcome xD

basically the clothing they sell there is amazing, it includes places to route all your electronics wires to hide it out of sight, not to mention its got a ridiculous amount of pockets and even when carrying enough to fill all of them it doesnt look like your carrying anything!....for an urban survival situation, this clothing will help you appear innocuous but at the same time give you enough space to carry a reasonable backpacks worth of stuff in your pockets!....i highly recommend checking them out, they do everything from boxers (why you'd need pockets in those i do not know Tongue) to tshirts and jackets....just have a look around and watch some videos about their products, im almost certain you'll be placing an order within a few minutes (not to mention their stuff is surprisingly affordable for such awesomeness, check out thinkgeek.com)
[Image: pocketmap_exped_reg.jpg]
[Image: pocketmap_exped_xray.jpg]

theres an example Smile
22 May 2013, 14:43,
(27 June 2012, 07:07)Hrusai Wrote: http://www.scottevest.com/

your welcome xD

basically the clothing they sell there is amazing, it includes places to route all your electronics wires to hide it out of sight, not to mention its got a ridiculous amount of pockets and even when carrying enough to fill all of them it doesnt look like your carrying anything!....for an urban survival situation, this clothing will help you appear innocuous but at the same time give you enough space to carry a reasonable backpacks worth of stuff in your pockets!....i highly recommend checking them out, they do everything from boxers (why you'd need pockets in those i do not know Tongue) to tshirts and jackets....just have a look around and watch some videos about their products, im almost certain you'll be placing an order within a few minutes (not to mention their stuff is surprisingly affordable for such awesomeness, check out thinkgeek.com)
[Image: pocketmap_exped_reg.jpg]
[Image: pocketmap_exped_xray.jpg]

theres an example Smile

Now if only I can find one in the uk
22 May 2013, 17:14,
(22 May 2013, 14:43)Mooski88 Wrote: Now if only I can find one in the uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...z3pvnanl_b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=s...t&_sacat=0
A major part of survival is invisibility.
22 May 2013, 17:24,
(22 May 2013, 17:14)Highlander Wrote:
(22 May 2013, 14:43)Mooski88 Wrote: Now if only I can find one in the uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...z3pvnanl_b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=s...t&_sacat=0

I know wot I want for crimbo now Smile cheers
22 May 2013, 18:12,
It is nice to be old enough to be considered "eccentric"!

I my area we have extremes of weather. Winter you wear artic gear, summer you strip to the skin. In between an eccentric old man can get away with quite a bit. That is especially true in the rural areas, but also goes for a visit to the village.

I have come to love my tweed jackets and wear them as daily gear. Nice outside and inside pockets for essential gear while looking quite middle class professional.

I often wear a piece of British bush kit that I have grown to love. The age old "safari jacket". I throw it on over a tee shirt with jeans or cargo pants and hiking boots, don my Tilly "tin hat" and I am ready for whatever lions tigers and bears pop out from behind the serving line at the buffet. It has become my standard wear for spring and autumn.

Now this does set me apart from the normal man my age in my area. Most wear what I call the "old geezer uniform"; walking shorts, golf shirt (always tucked in), dark socks, white Rebocks, cell phone holster on the belt and a baseball hat.

In the winter they simply trade the walking shorts for a pair of kakis from the Gap.

What this means is that the entire U.S. population over the age of 45 looks like a group of tourists on holiday.

I have discovered that in my daily roaming about I establish patterns and expectations. In the local stores people expect to see me wearing my slightly different gear. If I do not wear it they ask if I am OK.

While they might give me a strange once over look the first time they see me that quickly fades to acceptance. and since most middle aged to older men tend to be a bit on the lumpy side naturally a few more lumps in the jacket are easily camouflaged.

Now my second thought; what are you carrying in the vest that would cause you concern if you were caught with it?

Your laws do limit you to fairly harmless pocket contents, so what do you care if the guy in the local chip shop suspects that you are carrying a concealed water bottle?

My advice, If you want to wear a vest then get a nice one and wear it daily until the locals start expecting to see you in it. And they will!

You will soon find yourself being referred too as "the guy in the vest". So what?