Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids and knives
2 June 2012, 12:53,
Kids and knives
I noticed that even though I've ensured my kids are all equipped with good knives when they were around nine or ten years old (now 14) they did not appear to be comfortable or competant on occasions when I've asked them to use knives. Basically what I've realised that only having them use knives on the occasions when we are out camping or practising survivalism they are simply not getting comfortable or competant in handling or using such tools.

I think I have found a way to improve their confidence handing a knife by simply getting them to help the wife or I when we are cutting, skinning, peeling, meat and veg in the kitchen, its only taken a week or so for my lad to appears to be far more competant and comfortable using a knife which of course equates to him being safer as well.

2 June 2012, 13:08,
RE: Kids and knives
i dont think the members of the 170 street gangs in London have any problems with using knives, in fact i think their very adept with them going by the news reports. i think that all children should be told how to use a knife but i also think they should be taught when NOT to use a knife.and that includes not taking them to school.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 June 2012, 01:29,
My son can't use a plastic spoon yet... so we'll leave knives for now. I remember When I was around 10 or so, camping in the New Forest regularly, and I would always have a fixed blade knife on my belt. I reckon the fuzz would have a stern word to say about that of it was happening now. But in the 80's no one batted a bollock. I was advised that the Barnett black widow hanging out my back pocket would rouse suspicion though. But big Bowie knife, fine.
The only way to get safe in using something is to use it. My kid will start using pointy things early... but not quite as publicly as I used to. I used to hang out down the local woods practising knife throwing as if it I was collecting conkers... seems balmy now.
I would think something as simple as getting them dicing carrots should do a lot of good.
3 June 2012, 10:14,
I too had a fixed blade knife in my kit when I was in the scouts and I was about the same age. I've been informed now that even the scoutmaster can only bring a knife in to show a task and then has to take it out.

My kids have been handling my knives and guns since they were 10. Once I was sure they understood the rules. I never left them alone with the guns until they were a bit older and I even let their friends handle them when I am there.

As was said. It is only by regular use that you learn safe use.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 May 2021, 00:18,
Cut resistant gloves can help to gain confidence and many are food grade so littles can help in the kitchen. These gloves are good for wood whittling projects, again to gain the confidence.