Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal defence kit ?
4 June 2012, 22:50,
RE: Personal defence kit ?
Ideally I want to learn a handful of techniques/escapes/holds for defense against knife wielding chavs, drunk people, just practical stuff.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
5 June 2012, 00:06,
I've done a few but there is only one I still practice.

I did Judo as a kid. It's safe... but it's a sport. Good for holds and throws... no punches or kicks.

I did muay thai (kick boxing) in my youth. Good for physical development, but is more about power and high kicks. Lacks subtly.

I dabbled in Karate ... kind of like kick boxing without actually being able to block properly... your left had is always low, so allowing everyone to punch you in the head a lot.

The one that worked for me is Taijutsu. It is 'supposedly' the unarmed style of the Ninja... but in reality it is just Ju-Jitsu in a more flexible style, that enables you to adapt to an opponent better.

For example in Ju-Jitsu yo learn kata that are linear, one move after another. In Taijutsu the kata are more like a troubleshooting diagram, where each move has a string of options to follow depending on what your opponent does.
Other than that it's pretty much Ju-Jitsu moves ... but it also has a lot more rolls in it and you get to wear black rather than white.

I would recommend a good Ju-Jitsu class or find a Bujinkan Ninjitsu school if you can. You may feel a bit of a nob playing at being a ninja, but you learn some pretty brutal stuff in a good way that works. I have run a number of successful real life experiments as a bouncer, and that was only the tame stuff.

I was sold on it in my first few months practice, I was about 20 years old, 6'2" 16 stone of muscle, and I had my arse handed to me by a 5'9" 50 year old with a beerbelly kids could use as a bouncy castle. I was no novice at the time, I was a pretty good at kick boxer, but it was like he turned to water and just flowed around me. It's disconcerting when you throw a punch and your target appears behind you tapping you on the shoulder. I later learned that that is 'the flow'. I still haven't fully mastered it myself though.

You even learn how to tackle someone pointing a shotgun at you from across a room. Imagine a man 10 foot away pointing a shotgun at your face... you are unarmed and they intend to kill you... what do you do? I wouldn't have believed it possible if I hadn't done it (not real life this time... just tried it out with airsoft).

5 June 2012, 00:34,
I would like to know about that last bit some more? :-)
5 June 2012, 01:10, (This post was last modified: 5 June 2012, 01:19 by grumpy old man.)
tonka
tai jutsu (the art of body movement) their or two kinds of ju jitsu the modern that the late robert clark (developed) kokusai ju jitsu which is what most people practice not bad? but not the best and another called aiki ju jitsu which aikido developed from this kind of ju jitsu does not have kata unlike modern ju jitsu, aiki ju jitsu goes way back to the mountain men of japan and further and where you ninjutsu comes from now ninjutsu is a great art made up of 18 levels (not belts) and would take me quite a while to go into ? their where many ryu's each with different teachings but along came edo and out went some i would be few careful of people claiming to teach ninjutsu as we know some people dress things up i have 28 years in martail arts i love it, and if you find the magic that it can give you in mind body and spirt you will know what i'am saying, people may not see the battle fields the same as old japan but we wont be fighting armies then again i could do more with old tools than most can with a gun?
any form of martial art can be effective if you train long and hard and have a good sensei mine was japanesse and knowladge doesn't come quick.
the old samuria didn't have gradings or belts if you were good you lived if you were bad then you died
but keep up your training if your sensei is proper their will be many a trick to learn
have you learnt the art of distraction yet ?
do you work on 45 degrees ?
so many question ? so many answers ?
p.s. i wasn't picking fault with your post just you seemed to have a wider veiw than most and if you want we can expand on that
reguards GOM
tibbs 735
a little know how can be a dangerous thing
a bit like a DIY sparky ? some times you just have to do the full course and be propper ?
e.g. most people think they know how to fight with a knife until it's took off they and use against them.
to win the war, you must be willing to die
5 June 2012, 02:36,
GOM, I didn't notice any picking. I don't think I'd disagree with any of that. 'tai jutsu' is a broad term, that has just been recently taken to describe a particular style. It's kind of like calling a particular breed of dog 'dog'... similar to the common misuse of the phrase 'kung fu'.

And you notice I said "It is 'supposedly' the unarmed style of the Ninja... but in reality it is just Ju-Jitsu in a..." I am far from convinced of any genuine links with the martial art I practice and and Ninja linage. It is really just a hotchpotch of exciting martial arts... but it just seems to be sewn together rather well, and it is open for me to include other things I have learned and incorporate them. The school I attended was as authentic as it got... I just don't quite believe any of the links.

Yes, to the art of distraction. Even using fans? which would be an odd thing for man to be carrying on 21st century Britain.

No to working to degrees.

I haven't attended a Dojo since, well two serious injuries ago now, but I have kept up my practice and do regular kata ... which is a rare thing I believe. I make it part of my work out warm up. In fact the latter serious injury was made a lot better with my knowledge gained through martial arts. My limb that I was told would be badly disabled for life is now as strong as it's ever been. And if it was just left to NHS physio it would still be disabled.

I'm no expert though. I've only had about 4 years of actually being taught in a dojo (although my time practising with a punch bag and on 'customers' in between were highly productive). It was important when I was working in security not to have a paper trail linking me to any high grades in the martial arts. In the school I was in, 15 years is average length of time to black-belt. So I would still be considered a beginner. I plan to get back if I ever get 30 seconds free time.

I'm guessing you do aiki ju jitsu or Aikido?

Aikido was going to be one I was going to recommend to Tibbs, as friends have done well by it, but as I have never practised it myself, I didn't complicated things
5 June 2012, 12:24,
hi tonka
i have done the 3 main styles of karate but only grade to dan in two the third i found was (lacking) my ju jitsu i did for 5 years until my sensei went back to japan i don't know from which style it is except that it follows the aiki system and not the world ju jitsu fed way which has lead me in a search for my style i have learnt kick boxing and then onto mauy thai but no expert in those two i found my love was still ju jitsu.
i have learnt how to use all the old weapons some better than others
in my style of ju jitsu kata isn't used as you can't plan a fight only act on it but i do know a lot of katas from the karate
the degree thing is angles of attack and defence part of stratagy it stop someone constantlly attacking you by closing their body off if you look up kempo and nimpo you might find that art of fighting help full
i haven't trained in a school for a long time but i do have my own dojo where i train and practice i can't find a sensei that can learn me anything i don't know or they think they or better than they really which is a pity
who knows maybe we can share some know and new tricks
take care
GOM
5 June 2012, 23:12,
(5 June 2012, 12:24)grumpy old man Wrote: who knows maybe we can share some know and new tricks

We may well be able to. Do you know the shotgun evading trick I mentioned?
5 June 2012, 23:54, (This post was last modified: 5 June 2012, 23:59 by Nemesis.)
(5 June 2012, 00:06)Tonka Wrote: You even learn how to tackle someone pointing a shotgun at you from across a room. Imagine a man 10 foot away pointing a shotgun at your face... you are unarmed and they intend to kill you... what do you do? I wouldn't have believed it possible if I hadn't done it (not real life this time... just tried it out with airsoft).

One of my son’s does ninjutsu he teaches the family he also does muay boran and krav magna, I have a few milder videos of him on YouTube teaching my other family members.

I will find link and post.

Like TL asked I too am interested in your last comment shotgun thingy can you explain this, are you talking a tactical advance like a roll or something?

Ninjutsu

Muay boran

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
6 June 2012, 00:00,
Yes pls, seeing as you mentioned it Tonka - would like to know. Thankyou, TL.
6 June 2012, 00:58, (This post was last modified: 6 June 2012, 01:03 by grumpy old man.)
w&c
try if you can to get your sons to train faster with multi strikes and faster with weapons the faster the better always push.
he should be able to go full speed and under full control aim for that
also does his instructors encourage free thinking (adapting to the fight) remember there are counters to everything he will be shown it really is the first and fast to win.
not knocking him just helping?
with post stuff on youtube thing when i work out how of my 2 daughter's both hold 2nd dans in karate and take 1st dan grades in kokusai ju jitsu and can use most of the old weapons good
both train 3-4 hrs every day though
tonka
the only tricks i have for evading guns is by throwing distraction's to the face and rolling/ leaping at 45 degrees to the target this beening done very quickly?
anything like yours?
GOM