Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mildly Sawn Off Cobra Xbow
18 June 2012, 23:47,
Mildly Sawn Off Cobra Xbow
Modded as described on the main site. See the three pics:-

19 June 2012, 08:48,
RE: Mildly Sawn Off Cobra Xbow
TL old chap is that one of the early plastic bodied versions?, if so it may be why we are not on the same track cos the plastic bodied versions are shite compared to the alloy version?

19 June 2012, 17:17, (This post was last modified: 19 June 2012, 18:48 by Nemesis.)
I myself would not consider an 80lb crossbow a weapon for post shtf, better than nothing yes but not if I had choice like a chance to prep beforehand.

I would want 120lb upwards.

Going to add a video I just made a mod bolt with two nails, I rate these for powerful crossbows, yes small bolt work well in 120lb to 150lb, my Ten point tends to flip them out, too much power even set on the low 90lb so up to UK type crossbows 150lb these mod bolts will work.

Hope you don't mind my posting in this thread TL it seems to fit in with what was being discussed on the main site.

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
19 June 2012, 18:13,
what do you think of the h viper boomslang recon at 120ld its not the most powerful, but it folds down so useful as a weapon in a bug out bag

ttp://www.outdoorhobbies.co.uk/boomslang-recon-1367-p.asp
19 June 2012, 18:19,
(19 June 2012, 18:13)James Jackson Wrote: what do you think of the h viper boomslang recon at 120ld its not the most powerful, but it folds down so useful as a weapon in a bug out bag

ttp://www.outdoorhobbies.co.uk/boomslang-recon-1367-p.asp

I think W & C has a Boomslang in his kit and he was grumbling about it being a heavy beast.

19 June 2012, 18:28,
mm i was thinking of drilling holes in one and file bits down if i get one. not sure how hard it would be to do so with it, mind you as my main weapon i wouldnt mind it being so heavy. i would be carrying a hatchet, a boot knife, lock knife and a swedish/finnish bush knife. I'm trying to get a friend back in finland to make a few blades and bring them over, as its easy to do out thier.
19 June 2012, 21:18,
(19 June 2012, 08:48)NorthernRaider Wrote: TL old chap is that one of the early plastic bodied versions?, if so it may be why we are not on the same track cos the plastic bodied versions are shite compared to the alloy version?

Hello NR. I have just had a double check at the xbow and it is definitely an all alloy black painted body.The only plastic parts left, are the grips, trigger assembly, safety catch spring holder/sight rail and the plastic bow nocks. It could still be a MK1 as far as I know as I have not seen any other version. If I remember right, I was given it unmodded by someone else many moons ago. I would be prepared to swap it for some other interesting kit. One of those old big SW receivers would be good..Big Grin

No problem W&C, that is what the forum is forCool

Hello JJ. If the xbow you suggest is an alloy bodied one, then it will be very easy & quick to cut, file and drill it. Quick too. Just don't weaken any load bearing areas too much.

I had a quick scan at that Hyper Boomslang folder. It looks ok if you like the build quality. It looks very like mine but slightly larger with a few trick bits like a folding wire stock and of course folding limbs. This last bit isa v.handy feature as long as this does not weaken the structural inyegrity of the cocked bow. There must be no chance of this feature failing at some future time under load conditions!! I did notice that even folded, it did not quite collapse flush together in the advertisement. This is a shame and should have been overcome in the design stage. still, the folding ability has a lot going for it for OPSEC reasons now and after SHTF. Don't expect to be able to pull it out the bag and use it immediately if under threat conditions. I also noticed the price of accessories like strings and a rope cocking device were high. Do you have to buy the rope cocking device seperately?? If so, that is very poor and it should come with it as standard. Also, this is very dear for what is a simple cheap item to put together. the bolts are listed as some special type and are also pretty stiffly priced. Does this mean you will have to pay out a large sum of money for the many bolts you will invariably use/damage. It would be best to be able to make these up yourself after aquiring the first few commercial examples - otherwise it will get very expensive or worse, you will end up not having many bolts when you actually need them. Bolts will get lost or damaged incessently with a xbow. Consider all ramifications carefully. Regards, TL.

Also - just to edge a point in (Big Grin) it is easy to make quality blades over here too. Knifemaking is a pretty simple art really - cloaked in much mystique and folklore.. lol.
19 June 2012, 21:36,
i dont know too much about crossbows, i might try to get one in the next few months and bring it to a meet for others to try out and really put it through its paces. then if its crap put it on net for sale

to the knife i would love to learn to make knives, swedish steel knives are some of the best in the world, or so i have always been told
19 June 2012, 21:42,
Yes they probably are. That said, steel is steel and any spec is readily available. Nationality doth not the steel make! (unless you are possibly, chinese, russian or italian)lol
19 June 2012, 23:10, (This post was last modified: 19 June 2012, 23:46 by Nemesis.)
Hi JJ first of all I would avoid buying the Boomslang and here are few of my reasons:

One it has a plastic trigger.

It seems to be made from a cast in two parts not much to strip or drill.

Far to heavy to be called a recon anything.

The worse thing it is too bulky, the front locking mechanism does not go all the way flush as has been noted, and it sticks out to much, this is a no no recon crossbow don't buy into the name and hype because it says recon and folds some.

There is not much info on the net about this bow or if there is I can't find it other than crossbows4u.

The idea is good the design sucks, save your money.

I should add it shoots quite nice both mod bolts and unmodded ones.
Damn you all got me looking at crossbows tonight, I found this one shit make but hmmm?

http://www.outdoorhobbies.co.uk/mamba-1559-p.asp
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ