Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syria shoots down Turkish F-4
23 June 2012, 00:04,
Syria shoots down Turkish F-4
The Syrian military has said it shot down a Turkish plane "flying in airspace over Syrian waters", according to state-run news agency Sana. "[The jet] was dealt with in accordance with the laws that govern such situations," a military spokesman said. Turkey had earlier said it believed that one of its F-4 fighter jets had been shot down by Syrian forces. A search for the two crew members is under way, involving Turkish and Syrian coast guard ships. The F-4 Phantom disappeared over the Mediterranean, south-west of Hatay province, near the Syrian coast. A military spokesman told Sana that an "unidentified target" had broached Syrian airspace from a westerly direction at 11:40 local time (08:40 GMT) on Friday. The target was flying at high speed and at low altitude, the spokesman said. Anti-aircraft defences had hit the plane with artillery, bringing it down in the sea 10km (6.2 miles) off the coast of Latakia province, he added. "It later became clear the target was a Turkish military plane which had entered our airspace," he continued. 'Decisive response' Earlier on Friday evening, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan held a two-hour emergency meeting with his interior, defence and foreign ministers and the Chief of the General Staff, Gen Necdet Ozel. Mr Erdogan's office said that Turkey would respond decisively once all the circumstances were established. Given the breakdown in relations between the two countries over the Syrian conflict, this incident has the potential to provoke a serious crisis, the BBC's Jonathan Head in Istanbul reports. Relations between Nato-member Turkey and Syria, once close allies, have deteriorated sharply since the uprising against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad began in March 2011. Tens of thousands of Syrian refugees have fled the violence across the border into Turkey.
Now watch Nato stick its nose in.
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
23 June 2012, 02:12,
RE: Syria shoots down Turkish F-4
they are still using F4s!?!? They started making those in 1958. Perhaps he got lost on his way to a vintage aviation show.

23 June 2012, 06:40,
I am sure NATO will stick its oar in, encouraged of course by the Great US of A. Add to this the fact that the Brits will be involved as our Governments are very keen to support the US. I think we need to start Enlisting more men for the services and stop sacking those who are already in the Armed Forces. I wonder if the Turks were urged to do this to provoke Iran? I have a sneaky feeling about this! I would like to add that I said Governments. Tony Blair was very keen on war as is David Cameron. Make of it what you will. Kenneth Eames.
23 June 2012, 14:15,
They've been itching to go in for a while and now they have the perfect excuse
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
27 June 2012, 17:24,
As an exercise in locating Syrian radar defences and testing their preparedness the Turkish exercise was a success. The Turkish phantom was on a direct course for the Syrian naval base at Tartus that at the moment is staffed by Russians who are responsible for resupplying and servicing Russian warships that dock there on mediterranean patrols. The Turkish fighter was less than five minutes flying time when the Syrians shot it down. I suspect that an extra potential result of the flight was to discover if the Russians would actually do something. I am sure that the Syrians would have had Russian permission to shoot. The Turks and their US masters have learned a great deal and it only cost them a scrapheap old plane and a couple of third class pilots ( quality pilots are not assigned old warplanes). The Turks themselves and particularly their leader Erdogan are now having to huff and puff and make war like noises after this setback. Erdogan has said 'decisive and direct' action would result. Its a shame he wasnt this concerned about Turkish lives when the Israelis slaughtered his countrymen in international waters.

I can only hope that this prompt and decisive action will delay the inevitable US/UK/Israeli attack a little longer in the hope that the Syrian/Iranian/Russian/Chinese alliance (at present only speeches) becomes a real military alliance and world war three is averted. But in reality it doesnt look good, all we can do is make sure that our families and ourselves can sit out the nightmare and hopefully come out the other side.
8 July 2012, 07:56,
(27 June 2012, 17:24)Reg Wrote: As an exercise in locating Syrian radar defences and testing their preparedness the Turkish exercise was a success. The Turkish phantom was on a direct course for the Syrian naval base at Tartus that at the moment is staffed by Russians who are responsible for resupplying and servicing Russian warships that dock there on mediterranean patrols. The Turkish fighter was less than five minutes flying time when the Syrians shot it down. I suspect that an extra potential result of the flight was to discover if the Russians would actually do something. I am sure that the Syrians would have had Russian permission to shoot. The Turks and their US masters have learned a great deal and it only cost them a scrapheap old plane and a couple of third class pilots ( quality pilots are not assigned old warplanes). The Turks themselves and particularly their leader Erdogan are now having to huff and puff and make war like noises after this setback. Erdogan has said 'decisive and direct' action would result. Its a shame he wasnt this concerned about Turkish lives when the Israelis slaughtered his countrymen in international waters.

I can only hope that this prompt and decisive action will delay the inevitable US/UK/Israeli attack a little longer in the hope that the Syrian/Iranian/Russian/Chinese alliance (at present only speeches) becomes a real military alliance and world war three is averted. But in reality it doesnt look good, all we can do is make sure that our families and ourselves can sit out the nightmare and hopefully come out the other side.

I just read a really sobering report by an academic in the area, it's not good reading. It's more a case of when, not if and will be a proxy war between NATO and Russia/China who support Syria and Iran.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info...e31766.htm

Subvert the dominant paradigm...
The Market Stick
8 July 2012, 09:47,
The yanks must be running out of nations to be blamed for every American domestic problem for the last 250 years

Brits, Canucks, Mexicans, Spanish, Cubans, Japanese, Germans, Russians,Vietnamese, Irish,Thais, Laotians, Columbians, Chinese, Arabs,Venezualans,Iranians, Libyans, Somalis, Muslims, Wet Backs, Hispanics, Europeans, Afghans etc They must be running out of smaller more vulnerable nations to attack.

It will be our turn again soon.