Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RADIO COMMS
28 June 2012, 18:54, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2012, 18:58 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: RADIO COMMS
(28 June 2012, 18:20)Timelord Wrote: As per Lightspeeds post in that CB equipment is plentiful & cheap AND bearing in mind that the limit may soon be upped to 12 Watts - then it is clear to see that PSHTF these Transmission Wattage limits will not exist anyway. That being the case, why not have an RF burner hooked up for longer distance communications? This is something I came across recently through a friend of mine & in [/align]relation to some 2metre hand helds. I am not up on the techno of radios but I would think it is probable that these RF burners or shall we say output amplifiers would be applicable to CB kit. The amplifiers are connected between the rig & antenna and only need a very rough 12 volt supply to work. I believe they will run with voltages somewhere between 7volts & 15volts or something like that. This is ideal for an expedient supply. The amplifiers are small & portable & cheap to buy if you know the right source..

Using this set up, we could communicate at much higher wattages/longer distances when we need to and at other times we just would not interconnect the RF burner. I do know that care must be taken to keep the antenna away from the head when using the burner as the RF radiation is dangerous in close proximity. Held a few feet away from the head or with a simple loudspeaker or earpiece extension, then it is no problem.

Could this be a simple solution that enables us to use cheap robust kit that can be used for local comms or ramped up with the burner for long distance work?

Like I said, this is not my area of expertise, so it may not be feasible with CB kit but I can't see the problem at the mo. Go on, enlighten me.......

Yay someone talking my language !!!!!
If we are gonna go 80 channel CB UK / CEPT GREAT esp with a burner or amp, Even as rig with 12 WEatts power will tickle me pink.

I've been trawling the web for info in English and I've found that
CB / UK CEPT runs 26 to 28 Mhz
10 meter Amauter runs 28 to 30 Mhz
and PMR runs 440 to 470 Mhz

Wouldnt it be great if those three groups were found on one affordable transciever 5 watts or more with quick change aerials.

28 June 2012, 21:37, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2012, 21:51 by Lightspeed.)
Hi NR,

Thanks for your supportive words. Ia m happy to contribute as in doing so it helps me clrify my own thoughts. Also, it is useless me having equipment and knowledge if there is no one else out there to communicate with. I need to know what others want so that i can make sure my comms will interface with them. It is in my interest to help all genuine potential network participants to set up as effectively as possible. This is my contributiion if you like. On other subjects i lurk in the background collecting ideas and experience from others.

There is no reason to get hung up on the idea of having one radio that does everything. As per previous posts, such machines do exist but you'll be paying over GBP 600 for somthing that can be emulated by two separate units for around GBP 250..... hey you can have two brand new CB multibands and a pair of the new UV-5rs and still have a hundred quid left over. In this case cheap doesn't mean rubbish... it just means more for your money.

Timelord

Funny I was thinking the same thing while walking this evening. There is a great little Albrect handheld Multimode CB on the market that looks like a great machine. It costs arround two hundred quid. I thik it is 5w power which might mean that an RF amplifier would be desirable at times. Such amplifiers cost around GBP 100.

The idea of using extra power for coms is worth considering some more. Electrical power will a precious rescource PSHTF, I am not sure that we'd want to be using up valuable Amp Hours on comms unless it is a dire emergency. Also on a Post SHTF world it can be expected that ambient radio noise polution would reduce significantly, this would allow low power equipment to perform a lot more effectively. Today, the main reason for turning up transmission power on groundwave communications is simply to overcome the mainly man made background noise.

So what I am proposing is that low power is desireable and will probably be completely effective post SHTF, but it will also be a wise precaution to have extra power and power supply to drive that power for emergencies.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

28 June 2012, 21:53, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2012, 21:54 by NorthernRaider.)
Ok if I have to make a call on this primarily for my own needs I'm thinking of an Intek H520 or 512, plus vehicle kit for £114
If I get the Inteks can I fit a burner to it as well?

Whats the best, nay very best replscement aerial I can get to git it as I bel;ieve the ones that come as standard are comprimises?

28 June 2012, 21:59, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2012, 22:06 by Lightspeed.)
NR RE Transmission from North-East to Wales

I'm trying to respond to a lot of stull in separate replies here so please excuse if I miss anything.

You mentions that you'd like to be able to communicate directly between the North East and Wales, i think? This is going to be pretty much impossible using CB I think. I wont bore you with technicalities, but believe me, its a pretty hopeless expectation.

My point of view is that if WE establish a network, that it will be a relay network. that is to say messages will be relayed from cell to cell to the final destination.

Raynet:

Raynet is the Amateur Radio fraternities voluntary disaster communications group.

They do an excellent job and have to put up with a huge amount of negative comments from some authorities.

They use all available Amateur frequencies.

Believe me, we do not need to find a way to interface with Raynet, Raynet will find a way to interface with us. They have shill and rescource beyond that of most of the Prepper community.

Raynet makes strong use of the 2m and 70 cm bands for local activity up to 40 miles radius. Primarily this is unencrypted FM transmission, so our proposed little Chinese hand helds will interface just fine with them.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

28 June 2012, 22:09, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2012, 22:11 by NorthernRaider.)
(28 June 2012, 21:59)Lightspeed Wrote: NR RE Transmission from North-East to Wales

I'm trying to respond to a lot of stull in separate replies here so please excuse if I miss anything.

You mentions that you'd like to be able to communicate directly between the North East and Wales, i think? This is going to be pretty much impossible using CB I think. I wont bore you with technicalities, but believe me, its a pretty hopeless expectation.

My point of view is that if WE establish a network, that it will be a relay network. that is to say messages will be relayed from cell to cell to the final destination.

Raynet:

Raynet is the Amateur Radio fraternities voluntary disaster communications group.

They do an excellent job and have to put up with a huge amount of negative comments from some authorities.

They use all available Amateur frequencies.

Believe me, we do not need to find a way to interface with Raynet, Raynet will find a way to interface with us. They have shill and rescource beyond that of most of the Prepper community.

Raynet makes strong use of the 2m and 70 cm bands for local activity up to 40 miles radius. Primarily this is unencrypted FM transmission, so our proposed little Chinese hand helds will interface just fine with them.

OK I can accept that, and thanks for the data on Raynet.
This is the spec for the Intek 520, any good ? can it be erm " tweeked" ?

Product Description
A brand new design of handheld with just about all the features you could ask for!
Multi-standard for use in all EU countries - including AM/FM use in countries where this is permitted!
Intek H 520 Plus is a very versatile multi standard user programmable CB handheld which covers all European bands including UK 27/81, European mid band CEPT mid block, AM 40 and Polish channels and more!. It can be used as a handheld or easily adapted for use on a 12 volt cigar socket with an external antenna.
Among the many unique features it has a speech processor for improved RX/TX audio, auto squelch, memory channels, channel and frequency display, variable power and an XL size LCD display screen.
The H-520 is extremely compact and runs on 6 x AA batteries. Batteries not supplied
Simple to use, yet with loads of advanced features such as scanning.
The only UK handheld with variable output power - you can choose 0.1W, 1W or 4W. The lower output powers will maximise the battery life.
Supplied complete with a versatile in-car adapter which allows you to power the radio from your cig lighter and also to connect an external antenna.
The radio also comes with a standard BNC fitting rubber duck and a mains charger. You need an EU to UK mains adapter for this charger (not supplied).
60mm Wide
145mm High $without aerialmm $with aerial attached$
40mm Deep

COMES WITH:

Belt clip
Battery Eliminator with cigar lighter connection and standard aerial socket on a short lead
Mains charger - Euro charger work (need EU to UK adapter not supplied)
Instruction manual
aerial
E1 - Italien/Spanien - 40CH AM / FM - 4W
I2 - Italien - 36CH AM / FM - 4W
DE - Deutschland - 80CH FM 4W / 12CH AM 1W
D2 - Deutschland - 40CH FM 4W / 12CH AM 1W
EU - Europa/Frankreich - 40CH FM 4W / 40CH AM 1W
CE - CEPT (Werkseinstellung) - 40CH FM 4W
Brand new and boxed with warranty

28 June 2012, 22:23, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2012, 22:26 by Lightspeed.)
NR
<< I would REALLY like the radiohogs on forums like this to talk to the radio hogs and forum owners on UKP, P2S etc and just try and seek some common ground. A comprimise say we use 27FM UK and PMR 446 and 10 meter, common ground kit will never happen but some commonality in frequencys could prolly be achieved.

We really need a forum boss and a radio geek to cooperate on this and get some common ground sorted, then I think once a foundation guide has been worked out other preppers will get radios to be part>>

Personally I am not in the least bit interested in inter-group politics. UKS is where I am connected to the prepper community and it is here that I will contribute.

More than ten years and still no agreed common standard? This is an indictment on survivor groups. Do we not all share the same primary goal?

If we have enough members of UKS who are prepared to spend hard earned cash in setting up a comms network (say on UK CB frequencies) why don'y we just go it alone and welcome any other groups or individuals who se any snse in joining us?

I fell another poll coming on..... Question: Will you commit to purchse equipment and participate in the UKS emergency communications network? Answer Choices Yes or No

This way we will have an indication of how many motivated people we have in the group and can plan accordingly
Re Intek 520

this looks a good rig. Its AM and FM

How much does it cost?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

28 June 2012, 22:27, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2012, 22:28 by NorthernRaider.)
(28 June 2012, 22:23)Lightspeed Wrote: NR
<< I would REALLY like the radiohogs on forums like this to talk to the radio hogs and forum owners on UKP, P2S etc and just try and seek some common ground. A comprimise say we use 27FM UK and PMR 446 and 10 meter, common ground kit will never happen but some commonality in frequencys could prolly be achieved.

We really need a forum boss and a radio geek to cooperate on this and get some common ground sorted, then I think once a foundation guide has been worked out other preppers will get radios to be part>>

Personally I am not in the least bit interested in inter-group politics. UKS is where I am connected to the prepper community and it is here that I will contribute.

More than ten years and still no agreed common standard? This is an indictment on survivor groups. Do we not all share the same primary goal?

If we have enough members of UKS who are prepared to spend hard earned cash in setting up a comms network (say on UK CB frequencies) why don'y we just go it alone and welcome any other groups or individuals who se any snse in joining us?

I fell another poll coming on..... Question: Will you commit to purchse equipment and participate in the UKS emergency communications network? Answer Choices Yes or No

This way we will have an indication of how many motivated people we have in the group and can plan accordingly

Chortle Smile Lightspeed this is SUK.Net not UKS Smile
(28 June 2012, 22:23)Lightspeed Wrote: Re Intek 520

this looks a good rig. Its AM and FM

How much does it cost?

About £95 but you can get it from Thunderpole as part of the adveturers pack for £114 complete with vehicle aerial etc

28 June 2012, 22:28,
Chortle Smile Lightspeed this is SUK.Net not UKS Smile
[/quote]

Thanks Chortle. One of my famous typos. Thanks fo the corection. :-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

28 June 2012, 22:29,
Look at this please

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio-pa...-pack.html

28 June 2012, 22:54,
(28 June 2012, 22:29)NorthernRaider Wrote: Look at this please

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio-pa...-pack.html

All look Good NR.

Once we get a feel for how many people want to join the comms net party, and if we agree that CB is the way to go, I'll write up a technical specification so that we can maksure taht as many of us as possible will be able to join in. Fore example it seems logical to set a basic requirement of the CB81 FM standard as there are heaps of those old rigs available at low cost and the frequencies are UK only. Next would be compatibility with UK80 and continental 80, then AM and then SSB capability..... truth is that my CB days ended soon after I purchased one of the first Legal sets.... so I have a lot of catching up to do!!

Cheers

j
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580