Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antibiotics
29 June 2012, 01:15, (This post was last modified: 29 June 2012, 01:22 by Nemesis.)
Antibiotics
So you and your group survived the first stages of shtf, you are now living under shtf rules, you are lucky enough to come across a doctors surgery that has yet to be ransacked, and you grab all or as many pills as you can, now that’s all good but I guess it’s time to know your pills.

Antibiotics treatments are not all the same copy this information and laminate if you can.

I forget where I got the info from but it was on my forum, one I use for storing information only i.e. a closed forum, I do think the information was given by a fellow called Invisible who I might add has gone invisible and a great loss to the prepping UK scene, especially with the new radio threads popping up.

Anyway know your “Antibiotics”

Clindamycin

Clindamycin is an antibiotic that stops the growth of bacteria and is used to treat only serious infections derived from bacteria. It is important to be cautious of any other medication you take such as pain and anti-diarrhea medication. It may worsen any symptoms you have. During treatment and even after stopping treatment, you may develop a severe intentional conditions caused by a type of resistant bacteria causing abdominal pain, blood/mucus in your stool or diarrhea. Contact your doctor immediately if this occurs.

Doxycycline Hyclate (Generic Periostat)

Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic that stops the growth of bacteria and is used to treat an extensive range of bacterial infections such as lyme disease, acne, pneumonia, sexual transmitted disease and infectious diarrhea. It may also be used to manage fluid retention around the lungs caused by tumors.

Levofloxacin (Generic Levaquin)

Levofloxacin belongs to the class of drugs called quinolone antibiotics. It fights bacteria by interfering with the reproduction and repair of their DNA. It treats bacterial infections such as bronchitis, pneumonia, gonorrhea, Chlamydia, prostate, urinary, kidney, sinus and skin infections.

Linezolid (Generic Zyvox)

Linezolid is an antibiotic that belongs to the oxazolidnone class that fights multi-resistant bacterial infections. It treats a wide range of bacterial infections including pneumonia and urinary tract, blood, lung and skin infections.

Metronidazole (Generic Flagyl)

Metronidazole is an antiprotozoal drug that is prescribed to treat bacterial infections. It is effective against certain parasites and anaerobic bacteria and works by blocking certain roles within the bacterial cells.

It is used to treat medical conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease, giardiasis, balantidiasis, ulcers derived from Helicobacter pylori, dental infections and colitis. It eradicates bacteria and microorganisms create infection of the skin, vagina, stomach, joints, respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract and reproductive system.

Moxifloxacin Hydrochloride (Generic Avelox)

Moxifloxacin hydrochloride, also known as Avelox, is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic that is used to treat certain bacterial infections. Although it doesn’t completely cure it, it will work against it. Moxifloxacin is used to treat pneumonia, sinusitis, lung infections, secondary infections in chronic bronchitis and skin infections derived from strep.

Norfloxacin Ear / Eye Drops (Generic Noroxin Ear / Eye Drops)

Norfloxacin Ear and Eye Drops belong to the quinolone antibiotics class and works by preventing bacteria growth. Used only externally, it comes in the form of ear or eye drops and works because of the ophthalmic preparation. If you use it excessively, it may cease to be effective.

Norfloxacin Tabs (Generic Noroxin)

Norfloxacin tabs are an antibiotic that are only available if prescribed by your doctor. Belonging to the class quinolone antibiotics, Norfloxacin antibiotics are effective as they halt the growth of bacteria. It treats certain infections caused by bacteria including gonorrhea, urinary tract and prostate infections.

Ofloxacin (Generic Floxin)

Ofloxacin belongs to the group of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones and fights bacterial infections in the body. It is effective as it stops bacterial growth, multiplication and spread by barricading the reproduction and repair of their genetic make-up. It is used to treat ear canal infections, prostate infections, urinary tract infections, Chlamydia, gonorrhea, skin infections, bronchitis and pneumonia.

Roxithromycin (Generic Rulide)

Roxithromycin is a macrolide antibiotic that comes in the form of tablets to treat certain parts of the body that has been infected by bacteria. This includes tonsillitis, sinusitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, impetigo, pharyngitis, non-gonoccocal urethritis, some STDs, gum infections, respiratory tract infections, asthma, cryptosporidiosis as well as soft tissue and skin infections. It is effective as it kills the growth of bacteria that contribute to the severity of the infection.

Tavanic (Generic Levaquin, Levofloxacin)

Levofloxacin is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic that treats bacterial infections such as sinusitis, chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, Chlamydia, cystitis, kidney, prostate, lungs, bones, joints, soft tissue and skin infections. Levofloxacin is also effective in treating obstetric infections as well infectious diarrhea. It is alike in chemical structure, mechanism of action and composition as floxacin and works by impeding mending and reproduction of bacteria’s DNA.

Tetracycline (Generic Sumycin)

Tetracycline comes in several forms including syrup, powder, suspension, tablet and capsule. It is an option to those who are allergic to penicillin. Tetracycline works by meddling with the bacterial protein synthesis and making it unable to manufacture proteins vital for existence. It is an all-purpose antibiotic as it treats a wide range of bacterial infections including acne, typhus fever, trachoma, conjunctivitis, gonorrhea, pneumonia, tick fever, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, amoebic, urinary tract and respiratory infections.

More from that thread.

I've read a fair bit on this matter. The US military has done a lot of work on it with the FDA, because they have $100,000,000's worth stockpiled! To summarise:

The following only applies to solid products (tablets, capsules) of general medications like antibiotics and pain relief...

All pharmaceuticals will have a use by date:

This is generally 2-3 years on the supplied containment

Pharmacies often repackage the things and put their own, shorter, date on

Pharmaceutical companies have no interest in testing for longer shelf lives for financial reasons

The pharmaceuticals should be stored cool (refrigerated, not frozen), dry and dark (like everything)

The FDA found that the shelf life can be safely extended from 2-5 years additional

Many products stockpiled have tested good 5-15 years after expiration

There was only one product I have found that actually becomes poisonous after long storage, that was an old form of tetracycline and has never been reported again since 1960-something! I've read comments from physicians and pharmacists saying most things are good at least two years after the date without losing any potency.

Again, this is for solid stuff. Liquids are a different matter altogether.
Amox. and Eryth. are very different types and can work on different bacteria, so stocking both is advisable. I'm currently researching what works on what. When I know more definite specifics, I'll post it.

XXXX on P2S posted this as a list that would cover most bases:

Amoxicillin (Capsules)
Ciprofloxacin (Capsules)
Clarithromycin (Tablets)
Co-Amoxiclav (Augmentin) (Tablets)
Erythromycin (Tablets)
Flucloxacillin (Capsules)
Metronidazole (Capsules)
Trimethoprim (Tablets)

The eryth. that the guy on LSG tested was perfectly fit for humans and from what I've read that's the same for all the so-called fish meds. It's not the case for cat and dog meds though.

Apart from tetracycline-based antibiotics, everything I've read points to antibiotics having a very long shelf life beyond that stated. Tetracyclines, supposedly, can break down into a poisonous substance eventually. I'm trying to find more info on that as I've read something to the effect that it's not correct with modern meds.

At the moment, these sorts of things are on my 'to acquire somehow' list of things to get after TSHTF. That only works in a very rapid onset of S though, not a slow breakdown where things would get depleted in the places I would be crow-baring.

At the end of the day, there are some things that will likely kill us (if not directly, then by making us too ill to survive) without antibiotics. There's just no real substitute for them for a severe infection.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
30 June 2012, 06:11,
RE: Antibiotics
superb post WC! absolutely essential knowledge for long term survival, infection can kill just as readily as a man with a rifle, unfortuneatly people overlook the importance of antibiotics!....i shall definately be printing this off and laminating it for future reference Smile.....ill also see if i can find any synthesis guides for some of these, although im not sure how much luck ill have (its so much easier to find guides for illegal drugs than legal ones....such a sorry state of affairs ay?)
30 June 2012, 11:41,
the trouble with anti biotics is that when doctors and dentists hand them out like sweets the bugs get used to them and they are no longer effective.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 June 2012, 12:10,
http://www.e-pax.co.uk/products/
A long term travel first aid kit with anitbiotics
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
30 June 2012, 15:07, (This post was last modified: 30 June 2012, 15:08 by Hrusai.)
BP although that is true, usage of different antibiotics does help, and in a SHTF situation, you aint gonna be picky, and at any rate its only the more common ones that are so freely available, personally ive never heard of the majority of that list!.....also give it a few years and there will be antibiotics that'll take bacteria 100's if not 1000's of years to develope resistance to, the main reason behind that is because all of the antibiotics we use today are almost exclusively derived from plants and are therefore present in nature, anything that is present in nature for an extended period WILL have been in contact with bacteria at some stage, therefore bacteria have had plenty of time to develope immunity to almost all of antibiotics that we use,

as an example ; http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21...coast.html

if "superbugs" can be found in antactica we're buggered xD....but the worst thing about bacterial resistance to antibiotics is horizontal transmission of genes, this is a process whereby a bacterium passes a chunk of dna (like the antibiotic resistance part) to another bacterium (not necessarily of the same species either, which in my opinion is the scariest part of that)...this chunk will then either be incorporated into the bacteriums main chunk of circular dna, or become a plasmid which is just a seperate chunk of dna from the main chunk, but it still gets expressed.

ok so that sounded pretty grim, but im getting to my point now, the reason that resistance to antibiotics is developed so quickly, is because the genes have already evolved and are already out there in nature! theres no telling how long its taken to evolve these immunities, and medical and chemical science is at a bit of a juncture at the moment, with new advances in novel molecules and nano technology as well as increased understanding of the human body, we are on the cusp of being in the position to design totally new antibiotics, ones never before seen by those damned bacteria, ones which would take 100's if not 1000's of years for them to develope resistance to, there are even people working on hijacking parts of virus (not the whole virus) to have an exceptionally well targeted drug delivery system both for treatment of various conditions (yep cancer is on this list) and even specific bacteria! not only will using this method to kill bacteria be highly effective, but it wont make even a dent on your good bacteria population! (after all we are 90% bacteria. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...085914.htm )

at any rate there a chunk of information, im fairly sure i didnt make any mistakes but im going entirely off memory here so please forgive any ive made Tongue
cheers for that tibbs! ill look into that
30 June 2012, 15:37,
you talk like a scientist! most of this stuff, like the technical stuff on radios, is way,way over my head.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 July 2012, 09:27,
(30 June 2012, 15:37)bigpaul Wrote: you talk like a scientist! most of this stuff, like the technical stuff on radios, is way,way over my head.

if i hadn't been having various medical issues i'dve had some A-levels and been doing myself a degree in something complicated, as it is mental issues are a bitch. Tongue i miss doing science Sad